CPS2 A Board Fried?

PCB problems and fixes
SailorLodestar
eBay: maasasingleto-0
Initials: STR

CPS2 A Board Fried?

Post by SailorLodestar » April 17th, 2019, 6:50 pm

So I got my first ever cabinet last weekend. A sega blast city. I needed to order new harnesses for the controls but every once in a while I will boot it up just to look at the attract mode of the PCBs I own so far. Well, this morning I powered it up and saw that there was just a blank grey screen. I thought maybe the battery had died in my Vampire Savior cartridge so I put in Street Fighter Turbo, and then Cyberbots. Nothing. I put in Captain Commando and it booted up perfectly fine. Which made me think maybe the problem was with my CPS2 A board. Well while I had the A board in and was thinking this, I noticed a clicking (I think. Or some other odd sound). I thought a spider was crawling out of my A board but it was smoke! I powered everything down. And unplugged it. There's some residue on the jamma connector on the CPS2 now. Does anyone have any idea what the **** happened?

DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Re: CPS2 A Board Fried?

Post by DaveyD » April 17th, 2019, 7:26 pm

Did you connect the Jamma harness the wrong way round?

SailorLodestar

Post by SailorLodestar » April 17th, 2019, 8:12 pm

It’s not that. There’s an indicator sticker on my harness. Also it wasn’t unplugged and reconnected between last night when it was working and this morning.

nem

Post by nem » Yesterday, 4:10 pm

Something shorted.

Open up the casing and look for visible damage.

SailorLodestar

Post by SailorLodestar » Today, 7:35 am

nem wrote:
Yesterday, 4:10 MP
Something shorted.

Open up the casing and look for visible damage.
I don’t have the bits to open up security screws yet. (In mail) but when I got home, I thought I’d test one of the games that was working this morning.

Then I noticed the plastic is melted on the jamma harness and if I turn the cabinet on without attaching a game, I see the smoke immediately.

Maybe the problem can be deduced by looking at which pins are at the center of melting?
Attachments
5F43B46E-C575-4949-A732-1245E32148E1.jpeg
30FAA7C2-A6A1-4D22-8F4D-D9D7521367C3.jpeg