Power Instinct Matrimelee - history and gameplay

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Awbacon
eBay: Awbacon
Initials: Aeb

Power Instinct Matrimelee - history and gameplay

Post by Awbacon » April 16th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Brand new video uploaded this morning, all about Matrimelee and the Power Instinct series history. Figured you guys would enjoy it on here, as it’s my favorite AES games of all time

bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Re: Power Instinct Matrimelee - history and gameplay

Post by bloodhokuto » April 16th, 2019, 10:50 pm

I really like this game, and it was my first 'from new' Neo Geo game back in '03.

I remember seeing some loke test footage and I thought it looked really interesting.

It's shame that they nerfed the soundtrack for the EUR/US BIOS, - removing the tracks with Japanese vocals. Also I am sure that some of the backgrounds are missing too.

I really love the soundtrack, it's probably in my top 5 and I really like how it matches with the stages.

There are lots of funny little details as well - I am sure that an argument and a fight starts out between two singers on one of the stages.

I agree that if they had the time to polish off the BG's it could have been a real classic, and this is the same critique of ROTD as there were some poor (rushed) stages in that too.
- -
Looking to get a replacement foot panel for my Minicute.
If anyone sees one, let me know!
- -

Awbacon

Post by Awbacon » April 17th, 2019, 3:53 am

I really do wish they had worked on the game for another six months...improve the backgrounds and not make the game feel rushed.

All the characters are awesome, tons of diff fighting styles, awesome soundtrack, but those backgrounds are unfortunate. It was so close to being a top tier AES game too!

gray117

Post by gray117 » April 17th, 2019, 11:05 am

Want to like it more than I do, same with rotd. A very strange offering - like it was a passion project and only ever signed off on because atlus wanted a beat em 'up, dev team were enthusiastically on board, but no one really knew why they were doing it.

Never really worked out what's going on with sequels, never understood lack of localisation with sequels - Power Instinct V in particular looked interesting at the time... presume guilty gear/blazblu just took over... then again melty heart + persona + skull girls would make me think there was an audience for Power Instinct V?

... but yes, power instinct always seemed to be that one that maybe your friends had seen but no one really had played, everyone kind of interested, but not enough that anyone bought in.

Awbacon

Post by Awbacon » April 17th, 2019, 3:21 pm

Clearly there is enough of an audience for there to have been a PS2 release of Matrimelee, and then Power Instinct V and it’s second arcade revision on the online distribution platform Taito has for the X series.

Yet I don’t get why they won’t bring V to consoles? Clearly people are into the series or else we wouldn’t keep getting games

GraveyardDuck
eBay: Castlerocker77
Initials: WES

Post by GraveyardDuck » April 17th, 2019, 4:01 pm

Thanks for sharing, that's a cool look back. I used to own the full kit when it released, but ended up selling it around 2009. Every once in a while I get nostalgic for it and want to pick it up again and play through it. But then I remember how much trouble I had with the final boss, and I only ever beat it with the old lady who throws her teeth.

I feel similar in regards to ROTD as well. But of course I never had a chance with its final boss.

gray117

Post by gray117 » Yesterday, 1:48 pm

I think post matrimelee Atlus just wrote it off the series since never emerged as a arcade favourite, and everyone involved in it basically disappeared right after v.

The ps2 versions clearly point to some kind of uncertain rights situation already developing.

I suspect likelihood is there never was a priority/vacant period for anyone to really look into it and get into it for any subsequent ps3 versions or ports of the last game even if they wanted to, and had all the material...

Awbacon

Post by Awbacon » Yesterday, 3:34 pm

It seems like Noise Factory has the rights, as they made the Taito Type X version, and the revision to it.

Maybe Atlus owns home publishing rights and won’t allow them to port it to consoles?