Game Boys (Bivert-curious welcome)

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Still pantless?
eBay: ~~~

Re: Game Boys (Bivert-curious welcome)

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA » April 2nd, 2019, 2:18 pm

I got a copy from a Yamatoku bundle for cheap years ago. Sold it locally for 125 Euros. :lol:

SuperPang
Master or Universe

Post by SuperPang » April 13th, 2019, 1:12 pm

nem

Post by nem » April 13th, 2019, 2:51 pm

Tetris :awe:

cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools » May 17th, 2019, 12:08 pm

20190517_112609_1.jpg
This was $28 on aliexpress (£12 customs :palm:), bought because there's been a community release of the software with apparently vast improvements over stock.

I've yet to reflash it but I'm impressed. The plastic is solid, well moulded and finished. Unlike the Bittboy (first model) the d-pad is *excellent*, as are the face buttons. As good as any good Nintendo original dpad. The screen is GBA 1:1 resolution with a nice matrix - it's not IPS (needs to be viewed face on) but it's got nice colours and no ghosting I can see.
20190517_112623_1.jpg
Downsides: while the volume control has plenty of adjustment and can get pretty loud, its very difficult to adjust at the quieter levels - theres a jump between silent and "on". And the triggers aren't great. They function fine but they're clicky (loud!) with a solid action, which combined with their size and location makes them difficult to press comfortably.

There's a larger model coming soon. Dunno what it'll turn out like but if the small version is any indicator it's worth picking up the larger just for a Pi Zero project.

nem

Post by nem » May 17th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Very cool, love the form factor. Dingoo A320 was great so this does sound promising.

cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools » May 17th, 2019, 9:05 pm

It uses a GB Micro replacement screen. Whole bunch of the usual emulators have been released with cropping tweaks to help on the lower resolution.

Old system too, I believe it was launched 2017? The stock firmware is pretty naff, not worth bothering with.

Going to give it a go with some systems that don't go beyond the face buttons and see how I get on.

cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools » May 21st, 2019, 11:34 pm

I'm still impressed.

Flashed with OpenDingux and running handheld systems (Lynx, Game Gear, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance) it does a great job. All of the scaling/cropping that occurs with console emulators just looks terrible no matter what so I've got rid of those.

GBA in particular looks great due to the native screen res, and whilst it struggles to get 60fps on some games the autoframeskip + vsync implementation is spot on. The rest of the emulators manage the fps but are a bit rough around the edges regarding vsync, get some tearing - early days though.

Gotten used to the triggers. Still don't like them, they are much too solid an action - need to be softer and quieter. The dpad I genuinely feel is better than any on an original GBA/SP/Micro. It's better than an 8bitdo, a New 3DS, and a DMG. Can't praise it enough.

Great little cheap device.