Driving game pedals - replacing/fixing 5k pots?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
tetsujin
Hello, I say
eBay: kukki_86
Initials: AC.

Driving game pedals - replacing/fixing 5k pots?

Post by tetsujin »

Hi

I have a Ridge Racer System 22 Arcade machine and need to replace the pedals as I have got a working game and the pedals sort of work but when your about to start a race, its revs etc and it counts down 3, 2, 1 GO! the cars revs drop and then the pedal no longer works! :(

I presumme the 5k post on the pedals or broke?

So, where can I get new ones, how hard are they to do and can anyone help me??

Cheers
Adam :)
LOL Cats... stupid cats
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Re: Driving game pedals - replacing/fixing 5k pots?

Post by capcomguru »

Did you test the pot in the pedal to ensure that is the fault?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

go into input test and see what happens when you press the pedals,
Parris
The ¥100 Ashtray

Post by Parris »

The pots must work to be able to go through the test cycles screens etc.

Remove the COIN mech panel, pull it gently forward and then remove it - you should see a metal plate behind the coin mech panel inside the unit. It will have L/R audio volume pots for the rear speakers, a TEST switch and a red button. You'll also see the games counter (the number of times the game has ran).

If you flick the TEST switch to the RIGHT it goes into the setup screens. You use the steering wheel and pedals as detail on the screen.

if you switch on the unit whilst pressing the RED button the unit re-adjusts all the pots (got that tip from Grantspain)

If you need to replace the 5k pots, then it'll probably work out for the better in the long run, but try using some contact cleaner first. Only clean that area if necessary!
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

mmm. Well the do work on the menu and on the options screen as does the 6 speed box but when it comes to the game itself they no worky! :(

Will try that reset trick.

But if I get the 5k changed, who here can help me out to do that??

And Parris, do you still have that left over system 22 gear?? I sent you a PM :)

cheers
LOL Cats... stupid cats
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

grantspain wrote:go into input test and see what happens when you press the pedals,

Can you explain more?? I think I know what you meen but I can only get to my machine once a week at th moment until December once I move house! :D

Cheers

PS and thanks :)
LOL Cats... stupid cats
Parris
The ¥100 Ashtray

Post by Parris »

If the 5k pots are registering in the TEST and setup section then they probably don't need replaced. Sounds like you might need to check the dipswitches on the main motherboard. Someone on another forum had a slightly similar issue with the gear lever - I shall do some digging.

PM me!
Mellor
Please Continue...
Initials: MEL

Post by Mellor »

If you go into the test menu as Parris has instructed there will be an input test option. Go into this option, then use the pedal and the game will report how it is working or if it isn't. Sometimes nothing will be happening other times it isn't working to the full range.

I don't have great memory of this game. Is the revving at the start something that happens no matter what you do with the pedal? Or does it rev responding to how much you press the pedal? What happens when you release the pedal and the game is running, does it then go? I.e in reverse?

If it works fine before the race starts and then doesn't the problem prob lies with settings/game board problem.
Parris
The ¥100 Ashtray

Post by Parris »

Parris wrote:If the 5k pots are registering in the TEST and setup section then they probably don't need replaced. Sounds like you might need to check the dipswitches on the main motherboard. Someone on another forum had a slightly similar issue with the gear lever - I shall do some digging.

Plus, I shall take images to show you what Grantspain means!

PM me!
Angry_Radish
Please Continue...

Post by Angry_Radish »

Have you pulled out the pedal assembly to look at it yet?
I thought my pots were bad as well, turns out the pots were fine, but the sweeper gear that is driving the pot from the pedal assembly was slipping.
There was an update around RR2 time to drill a hole through the assembly in order to correct the slippage.
Attached please find the update.
I'm not saying it's your problem, but it bears looking into at least.

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.