Ringedge 1 & 2 Power Query

PCB problems and fixes
classiccor83
eBay: luckiestdcalive
Initials: COR

Ringedge 1 & 2 Power Query

Post by classiccor83 »

Hello all,

got a Ringedge 1 & 2 imported from Japan on the Yaj auctions. Put them in storage and only just getting them out to play with, now I didn't realise they had an onboard psu. So the question is, how do I power them up on a bench to do testing etc? With the Lindbergh I got it up and running with a slightly modified old pc psu but obviously won't need that this time.

With the Ringedge 1, I got an additional psu with it and a few extra components, JVS 3 board and an additional power supply rail.

So my question is, is there an easy way to get this powered up on my test bench?

In case anyone is wondering, I'm based in the UK.
classiccor83

Re: Ringedge 1 & 2 Power Query

Post by classiccor83 »

Also, just thought I intend to use this in my Naomi upright cabinet when my garage is cleared out. Will I need to replace the PSU in the cab? Any information will be much appreciated.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

I’m not sure if the PSU is auto switching, so I’ve erred on the side of caution personally. It takes a 100v feed on the 2 pin connector left hand side.

You can either go straight to a 2 pin plug, or if you have those cables, they piggy back of the psu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

RE2 is definitely multivoltage 100-240VAC. I expect it's the same for RE1 as well. Take off the top cover, it will be written on the side of the PSU.

The power connector is JST VH if you want to cobble your own cable.

https://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=262
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

RE1 is multi voltage too.
classiccor83

Post by classiccor83 »

Hmmm, so thinking I had some further cables required, turns out I don't. Anyone have any idea how to knock up the required cable that could be plugged straight into a UK socket?

I've seen a couple cables on ebay for US/JP sockets, but obviously without the ground prong.

These are the cables and PSU I currently have, received with the board when I won the auction.
20210406_170630.jpg
20210406_170549.jpg
20210406_170541.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

You have the connector

You can hook that up to a 3 pin plug, ignoring earth
classiccor83

Post by classiccor83 »

markedkiller78 wrote: April 6th, 2021, 5:51 pm You have the connector

You can hook that up to a 3 pin plug, ignoring earth
Just checked, none of the connectors on that small harness are the right size, they are all too wide. So going by the diagram on the PSU Pink is Live and Blue neutral. Might have a go at knocking up my own cable from an old kettle lead. Unless anyone else has more concrete information.

Which JST VH connector would it be size wise? Or if anyone knows the exact one with a link, that would be much appreciated.

Would these do the job? The 3 pin option:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VH-3-96mm-Co ... 1195.m1851
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

That's the one.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

You actually have the correct connectors in your harness, they just have too many positions. One has seven positions, the other five. You need a 3-position connector. I have cut these connectors down to the correct length a few times when in a pinch. The pins can be pulled out when you press on the tab.
classiccor83

Post by classiccor83 »

Thanks for confirming, just ordered the 3 pin connectors. Guessing easiest would be cutting up an old kettle lead?

Will have to scour the house for something "non-essential".
classiccor83

Post by classiccor83 »

So an update, got it all powered up and running on the bench but hit another problem, totally forgot the JVS 3 board needs it's own power feed.

I have found it in the Virtua Tennis manual, the lead that goes from the Ringedge power output to CN10 & 11 I believe.

Can someone send me a pic so I can try knock one together.
Ringedge JVS Powercable.jpg
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

I'm not sure what exactly do you need? You've already figured it out. You just need to connect +5V and GND from the connector you have marked to CN10 (provided you have that IO, do you?)

RE pinout you have, here's a pic for confirmation:

re_dc_out.jpg

If you have a regular Type 3 IO (837-14572), then the connector you want to use is CN7. Pinout is exactly the same:

01 +5v
02 +5v
03 GND
04 GND

I only have a 837-14572, so here's a pic of mine with CN7 connected:

sega_jvs_5v_in.jpg

(funny, after 10 years of ownership I've just now noticed that Sega swapped red and yellow colours for Lindbergh...)
classiccor83

Post by classiccor83 »

nem wrote: April 9th, 2021, 10:43 am I'm not sure what exactly do you need? You've already figured it out. You just need to connect +5V and GND from the connector you have marked to CN10 (provided you have that IO, do you?)

RE pinout you have, here's a pic for confirmation:

re_dc_out.jpg

If you have a regular Type 3 IO (837-14572), then the connector you want to use is CN7. Pinout is exactly the same:

01 +5v
02 +5v
03 GND
04 GND

I only have a 837-14572, so here's a pic of mine with CN7 connected:

sega_jvs_5v_in.jpg

(funny, after 10 years of ownership I've just now noticed that Sega swapped red and yellow colours for Lindbergh...)
Perfect, thanks...Just wanted actual visual confirmation rather than the wiring diagram. Will knock 1 of those up this weekend. Didn't realise how much of a difference the wiring was from the Lindbergh.