Any MVS-U4 Owners Out There

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
matt5cott
eBay: matt5cott
Initials: MAT

Re: Any MVS-U4 Owners Out There

Post by matt5cott »

aerobert wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 2:07 pm Are there any direct replacement speakers for the MVS U4?

Looks to me like 3x5" tv/radio speakers.

They're utterly ****.
matt5cott wrote: March 21st, 2015, 10:04 pm Evening all,

One of my speakers has partially disintegrated, so I'm looking to replace both (might as well) anyone ever replaced theirs?

edit - Gone for these http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EVNL001B"

edit again - they work excellently.

I replaced mine with the above " SoundLab 5" x 3" Elliptical Speaker 6W 8 Ohm" (looks like now out of stock unfortunately) They work fine but they're by no means groundbreaking, just less ****.

I'd be definitely interested in an upgrade if one was available!
ImageImageImage
matt5cott
eBay: matt5cott
Initials: MAT

Post by matt5cott »

The only plausible things to get "good" audio IMO,

1.) Fabricate and install a spacer in there to attempt to jam in a 5x7, plenty of car audio available in that size BUT I've just measured mine and I'm not even sure it's possible, it'd be a hell of a squeeze!

2.) Get a modern 2.1 system that has a crossover built in so the OEM **** speakers only get the meds/highs and the new shiny subwoofer handles all the lows, I did this on a NAC and it worked great 8-) I just use these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283351027212 to easily convert the audio out.
ImageImageImage
aerobert
eBay: romajoh

Post by aerobert »

I appreciate 2.1 mods but I'm also a lazy **** with children in the house.

I'm thinking of just mounting a pair of 4" good car speakers on spacers and brackets fixed to the original holes. Will be enough to at least get rid of the horrible thin sound.
dos
Please Continue...
eBay: d0sdem0n

Post by dos »

Does anyone know how to fix ground loop monitor interference on these? I just got one imported from China and it had a 220v to 110v step down transformer installed and the earth ground wire severed before the transformer (China is on 220). I'm in the US and we have 120V power so I removed the transformer. Using the original two prong power cable resulted in the cab itself becoming "hot", giving small shocks when you touch it, so I fixed the ground wire and installed a 3 prong cord (following the schematic in the manual, but using the cord's built in ground instead of Japanese standard separate ground prong). Cab is no longer hot but I see the typical ground loop wavy lines onscreen. On my NAC this is simply fixed by removing the grounding wire from the monitor frame but on this cab I don't see any obvious ground wire attached to the frame. Multimeter confirms the frame is tied to ground, it's my first metal cab, I assume the body itself is tied to ground and so is everything touching it including the frame?
dos
Please Continue...

Post by dos »

dos wrote: April 26th, 2020, 9:06 pm Does anyone know how to fix ground loop monitor interference on these? I just got one imported from China and it had a 220v to 110v step down transformer installed and the earth ground wire severed before the transformer (China is on 220). I'm in the US and we have 120V power so I removed the transformer. Using the original two prong power cable resulted in the cab itself becoming "hot", giving small shocks when you touch it, so I fixed the ground wire and installed a 3 prong cord (following the schematic in the manual, but using the cord's built in ground instead of Japanese standard separate ground prong). Cab is no longer hot but I see the typical ground loop wavy lines onscreen. On my NAC this is simply fixed by removing the grounding wire from the monitor frame but on this cab I don't see any obvious ground wire attached to the frame. Multimeter confirms the frame is tied to ground, it's my first metal cab, I assume the body itself is tied to ground and so is everything touching it including the frame?
Fixed by tying field ground to logic ground on the PSU, oldest trick in the book but I initially thought it was not necessary since there was continuity between them, picture is nearly perfect now except for a mild version of the exact same jailbars on the left as this user, so I'll be recapping/reflowing the chassis when I can.

e: as this is the U4 owner's thread, might as well post a pic:

The panel is yaton's repro, the blue is too dark so I'm on the lookout for an original. The side stripes and memory card/headphone surround seem to be original, I added repros of the rest of the decals. It has obviously been repainted at some point and not very well and it has some dents. Yaton or somebody replaced the original fluorescent with a not very nice bare LED panel and I prefer original equipment so I'm also on the lookout for the entire fluorescent fixture. The wire for the MV-LED PCB was missing but it fired up once I added one. The quick disconnects for the controls were crimped on to the terminals or something and disintegrated when removing the green fake sanwa buttons and zippy sticks he had in there to put in original seimitsu parts, so now I'm waiting on some .110 and .187s so I can actually play. The sound wiring was changed from MVS stereo to JAMMA standard mono so I need to fix that, as with a proper MVS board sound only comes from the left speaker. Overall I'm pretty happy with it considering I've wanted one for years and they're pretty hard to find in the US.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

I wish Yaton would stop messing with these cabs and sell them as is, as opposed to 'refurbished'. Every single cab I've bought from him has had the original light fixture tossed and replaced with the cheapest dollar store fluorescent bulb he's found.

Other fun stuff you're likely to find:

* Twist tied wiring every where (AC lines are pretty **** scary)
* Original harnesses replaced with spares taken from Sega cabs
* Off colored spray paint over rust. Spray paint over decals
* **** clone joysticks and buttons
* Original locks tossed / sold separately

Buyer definitely beware.
dos
Please Continue...

Post by dos »

nem wrote: April 27th, 2020, 8:43 am I wish Yaton would stop messing with these cabs and sell them as is, as opposed to 'refurbished'. Every single cab I've bought from him has had the original light fixture tossed and replaced with the cheapest dollar store fluorescent bulb he's found.

Other fun stuff you're likely to find:

* Twist tied wiring every where (AC lines are pretty **** scary)
* Original harnesses replaced with spares taken from Sega cabs
* Off colored spray paint over rust. Spray paint over decals
* **** clone joysticks and buttons
* Original locks tossed / sold separately

Buyer definitely beware.
Most definitely, I knew what I was getting into and it's not like these cabs are everywhere but if someone goes into one of his cabs expecting plug and play they are in for some ****.
dos
Please Continue...

Post by dos »

Anyone else find the smoked glass monitor cover too dark? Maybe I'm just used to my NAC but I feel like the screen looks a million times better when the cover is lifted, and this is with it calibrated as bright as I can get it without either blooming or seeing raster lines where black should be. The Toei is amazing, really the nicest arcade monitor I've ever seen but that cover just kills it, not only making it look darker but kinda washing everything out. I'm thinking about having a piece of totally clear glass made and replacing it even though I prefer to keep things as original as possible.
eBay: nofleabay

Post by 729 »

matt5cott wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 2:13 pm
aerobert wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 2:07 pm Are there any direct replacement speakers for the MVS U4?

Looks to me like 3x5" tv/radio speakers.

They're utterly ****.
matt5cott wrote: March 21st, 2015, 10:04 pm Evening all,

One of my speakers has partially disintegrated, so I'm looking to replace both (might as well) anyone ever replaced theirs?

edit - Gone for these http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EVNL001B"

edit again - they work excellently.

I replaced mine with the above " SoundLab 5" x 3" Elliptical Speaker 6W 8 Ohm" (looks like now out of stock unfortunately) They work fine but they're by no means groundbreaking, just less ****.

I'd be definitely interested in an upgrade if one was available!
I think this could serve as an alternative?
https://www.sciplus.com/oval-speaker-50767-p
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Post by zumbito »

Are 1p and 2p buttons wired differently in this cab? I have a MVS-u4, and those buttons don't work when I plug in a Pandora or an MVS1.
dzhay1981
Please Continue...
eBay: mingbool

Post by dzhay1981 »

Hi

I just picked up one of these cabs. I've read through this thread which is very helpful, but didn't see anyone mention the ashtray holder bracket. I've got the holes in my cab where it would have gone (at least I think I have). Has anyone seen reproductions?
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com
eBay: chrismartinlewis
Initials: BNS

Post by ChrisBEANS »

dzhay1981 wrote: February 6th, 2021, 10:43 am Hi

I just picked up one of these cabs. I've read through this thread which is very helpful, but didn't see anyone mention the ashtray holder bracket. I've got the holes in my cab where it would have gone (at least I think I have). Has anyone seen reproductions?
https://gateninety.com/product/snk-ashtray-holder/

Where'd you get the cab BTW? I've been keeping a keen eye out for one for some time!

Congrats on getting one. Would be great to see pics :thumbup:
dzhay1981
Please Continue...

Post by dzhay1981 »

ChrisBEANS wrote: February 6th, 2021, 6:50 pm
https://gateninety.com/product/snk-ashtray-holder/

Where'd you get the cab BTW? I've been keeping a keen eye out for one for some time!

Congrats on getting one. Would be great to see pics :thumbup:
Thanks. I've seen the holder itself on gateninety, but I need the bracket that it attaches to on the cab.

I got my cab from Yaton.. There's some commentary in this thread about his antics that accurately applies to my experience.
image_163057.jpg
image_163056.jpg
Having said that, I was aware of 2 these cabs making it to Australia. I've since become aware of at least two more, but they're rare as hens teeth so I regret nothing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChrisBEANS
moneyspendingexpert.com
eBay: chrismartinlewis
Initials: BNS

Post by ChrisBEANS »

dzhay1981 wrote: February 6th, 2021, 9:05 pm
Having said that, I was aware of 2 these cabs making it to Australia. I've since become aware of at least two more, but they're rare as hens teeth so I regret nothing.
Looks in decent condition to be fair. Maybe replacement stick and buttons, but if the rest is all good, looks like you've got a winner.

If/when I get hold of one, I'm thinking of putting a 6 slot in it, but I've recently become aware of them not being as reliable as a 4 slot... If I can find out exactly how/why, I can make a more informed decision.
dzhay1981
Please Continue...

Post by dzhay1981 »

ChrisBEANS wrote: February 6th, 2021, 10:47 pm
dzhay1981 wrote: February 6th, 2021, 9:05 pm
Looks in decent condition to be fair. Maybe replacement stick and buttons, but if the rest is all good, looks like you've got a winner.

If/when I get hold of one, I'm thinking of putting a 6 slot in it, but I've recently become aware of them not being as reliable as a 4 slot... If I can find out exactly how/why, I can make a more informed decision.
Buttons/sticks are en route as we speak. Unfortunately there are some worrying bubbles under the paint here and there. Nothing eaten through though (yet).

In the medium term I'm going 4 slot, installing the marquee lights etc. In the short term I'll be using a multicart while I cobble together the parts for the bigger project and fix all the missing/broken things.

Has anyone got any decent scans of any other control panels that have been on similar snk cabs? I'm thinking the Candy 25 in particular. There's obviously a candy 18 design floating around.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Couple questions in case anyone can help. I am ondergoing a MVS u4 resto and was wondering what camlocks does this thing use, and if they are all the same. Can anyone give me lengths or a way to procure replacements?

Im in the process of printing the stickers in the Wiki, but my printshop told me to do them in quality they need the vector file. I have been able to reproduce the side sticekrs but texts and so is more complicated. Does anyone have an indea where to get the vector files for the arts?

Thanks everyone in advance.

Jsut as a question, I have seen a lot of this cabs without the demag button. Why is that, is it normal, all all yours have demag?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

zumbito wrote: May 5th, 2023, 5:19 pm Jsut as a question, I have seen a lot of this cabs without the demag button. Why is that, is it normal, all all yours have demag?

I guess most of the monitor chassis they used were auto degaussing, and only some were manual.
lastspaceship
eBay: ebay.co.uk/usr/mattcmonfeet
Initials: TLS

Post by lastspaceship »

can try check the locks when im back by mine. It has a damag button in mine fwiw.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

nem wrote: May 11th, 2023, 9:34 am
zumbito wrote: May 5th, 2023, 5:19 pm Jsut as a question, I have seen a lot of this cabs without the demag button. Why is that, is it normal, all all yours have demag?

I guess most of the monitor chassis they used were auto degaussing, and only some were manual.
hmmm could be
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

lastspaceship wrote: May 11th, 2023, 9:41 am can try check the locks when im back by mine. It has a damag button in mine fwiw.
Were you able to check them?