Image problem on NAC (Nanao MS8)

For monitor related issues
Tenkei
Please Continue...
eBay: suupaatenkei

Image problem on NAC (Nanao MS8)

Post by Tenkei »

Hello everyone

I'm posting here because I need you guys' help. I'll try to keep it short and to the point.

I just recently bought a New Astro City equipped with a Nanao MS8. I put a PC inside to act as some king of MAME cabinet using a JammaSD USB. Here's the problem it exhibited: the image took up all the screen but it was missing some top and bottom part. I opened the front panel of the cabinet to access the remote aduster and played with the pots. I could get the entire image on the screen but it wouldn't fill it horizontally and when I tried adjusting the H.Size it would always do some kind of folding over on the bottom part and I'd lose the top part of the image because it would go out of the screen.

Thinking something was wrong with my remote I unplugged it and realized it was in pretty bad shape (to my eyes at least). When I plugged it back in the H.Posi pot wouldn't work anymore. I got a replacement remote but nothing's changed.

When the PC is offline I can see that the image fills the whole screen horizontally which made me think the problem might not come from the Nanao itself but the connection to the PC. But that folding over on the bottom part is still there.

I was hoping you guys would be able to tell me where the problem was coming from and how to fix it (I have 0 experience dealing with those things so the simpler the better).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Image problem on NAC (Nanao MS8)

Post by nem »

Yeah, I think there might be something wrong with the video signal.

You don't have any normal arcade board you could try?
Tenkei
Please Continue...

Post by Tenkei »

I don't, unfortunately...
Sunder
eBay: sunderaj82
Initials: SUN

Post by Sunder »

Buy a real cheap MVS motherboard to test with.
Tenkei
Please Continue...

Post by Tenkei »

Sorry I don't really know anything about how MVS works (and how it connects to a NAC), could you please give me some indications on what I would need to buy exactly?
Sunder
eBay: sunderaj82
Initials: SUN

Post by Sunder »

How is the PC connected to the NAC? PC to Jamma? If you get any 1 slot MVS board all you need to do is hook it up via Jamma. That's it, they're really cheap and are good to test stuff. It's what I do whenever I test new cabs.
You can get a single MVS board here from one of the members Im sure.
Tenkei
Please Continue...

Post by Tenkei »

The PC is connected with a JammaSD USB. I'll try to find a 1 slot MVS board to test and I'll get post the results here. Thanks!
Tenkei
Please Continue...

Post by Tenkei »

I managed to get my hands on a original Street Fighter 2X and plugged it into the NAC and the image behaved exactly the same way. I don't really know what to do except replacing every cable until it finally works... If someone had some kind of idea as to what could be happening (and what could need replacing) I'd be glad!

Also, as the remote doesn't seem to be working properly even though I've replaced it, I thought you could actually do the exact same thing on the monitor's PCB directly but couldn't find any detailed tutorials?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

does the vertical linearity pot do anything?

is this a ms8-29 or ms9-29?
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

The fact that is fairly stable seem odd to me, if you prod any of the pots on the remote board or chassis anything happen or even the wire connectors between the remote/chassis. any chance of putting up a test grid ? it might be best pull it and send to grant of the likes if you can't make any progress

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
LarsVegas
eBay: Larschance
Initials: LSV

Post by LarsVegas »

Isn't there a horizontal size limi pot on the chassis?