exA-Arcadia

Coin-operated games and arcades.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: exA-Arcadia

Post by nem »

sven666 wrote: November 27th, 2020, 10:53 am If the buttoncombo for getting out to the menu is such a huge deal the exa guys must be really killing it on all other fronts!

One of the biggest non-issue complaints ive ever heard.
It's not a huge deal. But it is a deal. It is what it is now, but it could be better.

The thing supports four games at once. There are multiple reasons why seemingly no one is making use of it.

I have a 4-game MVS cab. People love it. It works, it's awesome.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

nem wrote: November 27th, 2020, 10:57 am I have a 4-game MVS cab. People love it. It works, it's awesome.
No chance of such quick game selection with a PC so this was always going to be a bit of a head scratcher. I can see why there is no home button. Japan is the main market and Vewlix control panels don't have one. Customers can be easily instructed to hit A + Start. They're used to similar setups. This is only an issue for Free Play arcades. Would an auto quit timer setting on the motherboard help? Or is the issue that players sitting down for a couple of credits of SDOJ will wonder how to try A&B next?
sven666
eBay: sven-666
Initials: JNX

Post by sven666 »

put a post-it on the panel, by the time it falls off your patreons will probably have memorized hos it works..
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

SuperPang wrote: November 27th, 2020, 12:29 pmNo chance of such quick game selection with a PC so this was always going to be a bit of a head scratcher.

Of course quick game selection can be done on a PC. Look up videos on how quick Xbox Series X swaps between games. I'm sure @trap15 can indulge us why this isn't possible on exA because of the way it is set up, but there is zero reason why it couldn't have been possible.

I can see why there is no home button. Japan is the main market and Vewlix control panels don't have one.

You guys are giving way too little credit to ops. Have you seen button selectors done with rotary switchs on cabs? Headphone amps?

A home button? Please.

It's literally a 10 minute job to pull off on a Vewlix. You buy a blank card reader plate from Taito (Extra Space Cover-R, 1800JPY) and drill a 30mm button hole in it. Done. Looks great and it's exactly where you would expect it to be, next to the coin entry.

Hell, if exA was smart, they would start selling a branded one. Best of all, you get the op to throw out the Nesica card reader. A win-win for exA.

Where's my internship again, Shou?
Nomax
eBay: nomax_be
Initials: NMX

Post by Nomax »

nem wrote: November 26th, 2020, 9:23 amSince this is the exA thread, all of you should preorder Gimmick to support the guy.
We plan to buy Gimmick and bring it to retro gaming events once they are held again. But we'll buy it at that time since finances are at an all time low currently due to our arcade activities being down while still having the rents and loans to pay. We wish we could sell more exA but as most European arcades are closed, operators are not willing to invest in anything right now.

Gimmick being a 1-player only game makes it a no-no for European arcades so it will only sell to collectors here. At least, 1-player games should have alternative 2-Player gameplay support like the '80s arcade games.

@mikejmoffitt I know that it goes against the original game mechanics but have you tried to add a second player controlled character on screen?
SuperPang
Master or universe

Re: Dodonpachi Saidaioujou EXA LABEL

Post by SuperPang »

Couple more Club Exa at WGC setup pics:

nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

And the only cab that's being played is some Mame atrocity :roll:
Nomax

Re: Dodonpachi Saidaioujou EXA LABEL

Post by Nomax »

SuperPang wrote: November 29th, 2020, 12:33 pm Couple more Club Exa at WGC setup pics:
OMG, exA keyrings! I bet @MrJBRPG would kill for one of these. ;-)
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

nem wrote: November 29th, 2020, 1:11 pm And the only cab that's being played is some Mame atrocity :roll:
Sad indeed. :(
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Lots more pics of the many setups here: https://twitter.com/wgc_tencho
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

Not sure what i would play on them but a row of vewlixes are the only lcd cabs i actually find cool
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

arcnl wrote: November 29th, 2020, 7:12 pm Not sure what i would play on them but a row of vewlixes are the only lcd cabs i actually find cool
The Vewlix design is very cool but I prefer Noir HD cabinets as I find them more sturdy and more comfortable to play. Unfortunately, no rotatable screen on these ones, it's their only flaw.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Nomax wrote: November 29th, 2020, 10:26 pmUnfortunately, no rotatable screen on these ones, it's their only flaw.
What do you mean? There's one at WGC. Didn't you look at the pics :lol:
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

nem wrote: November 30th, 2020, 9:25 am
Nomax wrote: November 29th, 2020, 10:26 pmUnfortunately, no rotatable screen on these ones, it's their only flaw.
What do you mean? There's one at WGC. Didn't you look at the pics :lol:
No rotation? No problem!

Nomax

Post by Nomax »

Sorry for the size of the picture, I posted from my phone and didn't realized how big it was. :oops:
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

Nomax wrote: November 30th, 2020, 8:17 pm Sorry for the size of the picture, I posted from my phone and didn't realized how big it was. :oops:
:fastlove:
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

They've added a Japanese location list on the website if anyone over there is curious.
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... 177369a3b7
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

SuperPang wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 12:34 pm They've added a Japanese location list on the website if anyone over there is curious.
That location list is bigger than I thought it was!
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

SuperPang wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 12:34 pmThey've added a Japanese location list on the website if anyone over there is curious.
For anyone who's interested in numbers like me:

AtB: 27 locations
SDOJ: 19
Vritra: 7
Akyrios: 3
Chaos Code: 3
Shikhondo: 3
Strania: 3
Infinos: 2
Kung-Fu Vs Karate Champ: 2
Fight of Gods: 1 (Club exA)
Lightning Knights: 1 (Club exA)
Super Battle Princess Madelyn: 1 (Club exA)

No surprise AtB and SDOJ are the front runners.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Given the climate, I imagine most arcade operators are only going to invest in a new game if it's sure to get people queuing out the door (2m apart, obvs) and that's SDOJ right now.

Vritra seems to have caused a bit of a buzz. It must be a dream come true for some of these indie developers to get their game into arcades and some of them have clearly put a lot of effort in. Vritra is definitely one of those.