exA-Arcadia

Coin-operated games and arcades.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: exA-Arcadia

Post by nem »

Shou wrote: November 25th, 2020, 12:16 amNo, that means every released game needs to be reprogrammed.
No, it means going forward you can exit out in your new games faster. You don't need to put it in your old games. The button combo still stays the same.

APM3 uses 2P Button 5 for their Home since you cannot play locally with 2 players on it.
All.Net also used 1P UP + DOWN at some point. I wouldn't be surprised if it still supported it.

Not all JVS IOs have the extra buttons and it is not standard for JAMMA cabs so we decided against that long ago.
Neither was the NeoGeo pinout standard, but OPs still put a ton of multi-slot motherboards in regular JAMMA cabs.

Sega's JVS to JAMMA IO has 9 buttons per player. Admittedly, Capcom's IO has only 6, but it's not like you recommend using one for completely different reasons.

Anyway, I'm not saying to ditch the button combo altogether. I'm saying there's merit to having a dedicated button for it too. 15 seconds is a long enough time to start questioning if anything is going to happen at all and if you're just an idiot holding down buttons for nothing.
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Post by Shou »

It is an instant exit when on coin play.

There is only an intentional delay when the machine is on free play since you can completely exit a game during a play session.
Games like Aka & Blue give you an onscreen countdown until the game exits as well.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Shou wrote: November 25th, 2020, 9:58 amIt is an instant exit when on coin play.
Doesn't help me or any of the other flat-fee, admission based arcades in the west.
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Post by Shou »

nem wrote: November 25th, 2020, 10:45 am
Shou wrote: November 25th, 2020, 9:58 amIt is an instant exit when on coin play.
Doesn't help me or any of the other flat-fee, admission based arcades in the west.
Try it before complaining
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

Shou wrote: November 25th, 2020, 9:58 am There is only an intentional delay when the machine is on free play .
Some game centres have all the machines on free-play and charge an entry fee to the premises.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Shou wrote: November 25th, 2020, 11:10 amTry it before complaining
Hey now, at least I have legitimate complaints, and not just that "your games are too hard" or "the artwork is the wrong size".
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

:lol:

A custom label on the cab is your only solution. Not exactly ergonomic but there you go. I think anyone with multiple games in the setup, particularly in the west, is going to have to get creative with the cab dressing.

You could turn freeplay off and wire a coin button. Presumably you've had games without freeplay?
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Stop making things complicated. One game one mobo per cab, buy more stuff! :awe: ;)
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

Someone is selling a surplus Exa really cheap on the forum right now. Handsome fella, reliable :shifty:
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

SuperPang wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:01 pmYou could turn freeplay off and wire a coin button. Presumably you've had games without freeplay?
I try to avoid them. People always hammer them full of credits, so the attract sequence doesn't work. Also, if you hold down the coin button, some games will throw a coin error and you'll need to reset them.

cools wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:10 pm Stop making things complicated. One game one mobo per cab, buy more stuff! :awe: ;)
That certainly seems to be the idea.
Nomax
eBay: nomax_be
Initials: NMX

Post by Nomax »

nem wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:19 pm Also, if you hold down the coin button, some games will throw a coin error and you'll need to reset them.
Taito games more than others.
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

nem wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:19 pm
SuperPang wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:01 pmYou could turn freeplay off and wire a coin button. Presumably you've had games without freeplay?
I try to avoid them. People always hammer them full of credits, so the attract sequence doesn't work. Also, if you hold down the coin button, some games will throw a coin error and you'll need to reset them.

cools wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:10 pm Stop making things complicated. One game one mobo per cab, buy more stuff! :awe: ;)
That certainly seems to be the idea.

I completely agree

Dodonpachi is one of the games with no free play and has coin error if you abuse the start button if is coin wired too
Nomax
eBay: nomax_be
Initials: NMX

Post by Nomax »

Rocco wrote: November 25th, 2020, 9:10 pm Dodonpachi is one of the games with no free play and has coin error if you abuse the start button if is coin wired too
We corrected this problem by using a Velleman K2579 timer with relay output. This breaks the continuous signal when pressing the start button and avoid coin errors.
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

Nomax wrote: November 25th, 2020, 10:07 pm
Rocco wrote: November 25th, 2020, 9:10 pm Dodonpachi is one of the games with no free play and has coin error if you abuse the start button if is coin wired too
We corrected this problem by using a Velleman K2579 timer with relay output. This breaks the continuous signal when pressing the start button and avoid coin errors.
Don’t have a clue what this is :oops:
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Or you can just put the free play patch on the board that @mikejmoffitt has made:

https://github.com/Mikejmoffitt/ddonpach-freeplay/

That's what I run. It is perfect.

He's actually made a bunch of Free Play patches, including Batsugun Special, Donpachi, Esprade and Out Zone:

https://github.com/Mikejmoffitt?tab=rep ... q=freeplay

Since this is the exA thread, all of you should preorder Gimmick to support the guy.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

nem wrote: November 26th, 2020, 9:23 am Since this is the exA thread, all of you should preorder Gimmick to support the guy.
It's certainly top of my want list after SDOJ. Should work well in the NNC. Will be well into next year until I have the funds though.
trap15
Please Continue...
eBay: trap0xf
Initials: TRP

Post by trap15 »

nem wrote: November 25th, 2020, 9:21 am
Shou wrote: November 25th, 2020, 12:16 amNo, that means every released game needs to be reprogrammed.
No, it means going forward you can exit out in your new games faster. You don't need to put it in your old games. The button combo still stays the same.
To respond to this with a bit more clarity, that's not a good idea because then it creates uncertainty and inconsistency between games on the platform. Users are not going to know which game supports which exit combo, and having different games exit with different methods will be a very strange presentation. "Even if" the old combo still works, having a dedicated button for exiting which does not always exit is a really bad feeling.
Daifukkat.su Blog | Twitter
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go
drboom
eBay: devilscoot
Initials: DRB

Post by drboom »

Gimmick! is also next on my list - such a cool game to bring to exA!
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

trap15 wrote: November 27th, 2020, 1:49 amTo respond to this with a bit more clarity, that's not a good idea because then it creates uncertainty and inconsistency between games on the platform. Users are not going to know which game supports which exit combo, and having different games exit with different methods will be a very strange presentation. "Even if" the old combo still works, having a dedicated button for exiting which does not always exit is a really bad feeling.
Oh awesome, you're here too.

Here are my ideas. Take them as you will. And yes, my games are set to Free Play, I don't care how well your games work with credits, sorry.

1) make the Start + B1 combo context sensitive. So if the game is in the attract sequence, pressing both buttons will start a shorter timer than during actual game play. The timer should always give a visual cue of the countdown to the player. I haven't personally seen this, but if Shou says AtB has an on screen countdown, that's awesome. Every game should have it.

You could start doing this in your new games. It doesn't create any uncertainty to the player, because the countdown is there for the player to see. In some games it's three seconds, in some 15.

2) add a Home button to your new games. Home users will remember which games have it and which do not. Not a problem. As for arcade users that are new to the platform, then the responsibility lies with the op. For instance, if I had older games that don't use the Home button, I wouldn't put them in a setup that has one. I would have a unit set up with, say, AtB, Gimmick and Infinos and a note on the cab that you can exit back to the game selection by pressing Start and Button 1 for 15 seconds (15 seconds would be bolded and underlined, because it's a really long **** time).

Then I would have another unit with your new games Muchi Muchi Pork exA Label, Milon's Secret exA Castle and Koihime Enbu exA Remix that all support the home button. I wouldn't need to put a note on the cab because anyone that's over five will understand what a Home button does.

I don't see how this is an issue. Your hardware doesn't support dozens of games at a time like Nesicaxlive or All.Net. It has four max.

Also, since we're talking about uncertainty and inconsistency, a bigger issue is that not all of your games are 2P. Personally, I'm not going to mix 1P only and 2P capable games on the platform. If I had a 2L panel on an exA machine with AtB, Gimmick and SDOJ, do you know how often people would come up to me to ask how can they get the second player to join in in AtB and Gimmick? ALL THE TIME

EDIT: took out the condescending bolded parts. It's a habit
Last edited by nem on November 27th, 2020, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
sven666
eBay: sven-666
Initials: JNX

Post by sven666 »

If the buttoncombo for getting out to the menu is such a huge deal the exa guys must be really killing it on all other fronts!

One of the biggest non-issue complaints ive ever heard.