Nanao MS8-29MSG - Broken CRT Socket pins, can a similar Aftermarket part be used?

For monitor related issues
Pacheco
Please Continue...
eBay: jupac_1180
Initials: JLC

Nanao MS8-29MSG - Broken CRT Socket pins, can a similar Aftermarket part be used?

Post by Pacheco »

Hi guys,

I posted this over AP forums - basically, the CRT Socket pins from the Nanao came in bad shape. The legs got split from the adaptor base and these are unrepairable.

I tried to look up if the original manufacturer SMK still produced these, but I can't find these OEM parts anywhere. Instead of that I found a similar 9 Pins CRT Socket Aftermarket part :

amazon.com/uxcell-GZS10-2-108-…nals-Socket/dp/B007PQ0DS6

My big question is... Are the original SMK sockets swappable with any other similar spares? Is there an specific pin configuration for the Nanao ones?

Thanks for the replies.

Nice weekend.
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Nanao MS8-29MSG - Broken CRT Socket pins, can a similar Aftermarket part be used?

Post by grantspain »

yes that socket should be ok
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Re: Nanao MS8-29MSG - Broken CRT Socket pins, can a similar Aftermarket part be used?

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

Pacheco wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 9:33 pm My big question is... Are the original SMK sockets swappable with any other similar spares? Is there an specific pin configuration for the Nanao ones?
A difference can be the spark gap, i.e. a metal strip built in the socket that goes very close to all the pins and in case of a high voltage flashover in the tube it will attract the spark that would otherwise damage the electrodes and discharge it to the grounded coating on the outside of the tube. The sockets for Nanao monitors have the low voltage spark gap on pin 9. Many other monitors have it on pin 12 so if you want to install a socket with the spark gap on pin 12 on a Nanao monitor you'll have to connect pin 12 to ground or the spark gap will be ineffective when needed. You can easily check where it is with a multimeter:
SG9.jpg
SG12.jpg
ms8neck.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pacheco
Please Continue...
eBay: jupac_1180
Initials: JLC

Post by Pacheco »

PrincessPrinPrin wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 10:26 am
Pacheco wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 9:33 pm My big question is... Are the original SMK sockets swappable with any other similar spares? Is there an specific pin configuration for the Nanao ones?
A difference can be the spark gap, i.e. a metal strip built in the socket that goes very close to all the pins and in case of a high voltage flashover in the tube it will attract the spark that would otherwise damage the electrodes and discharge it to the grounded coating on the outside of the tube. The sockets for Nanao monitors have the low voltage spark gap on pin 9. Many other monitors have it on pin 12 so if you want to install a socket with the spark gap on pin 12 on a Nanao monitor you'll have to connect pin 12 to ground or the spark gap will be ineffective when needed. You can easily check where it is with a multimeter:

SG9.jpg
SG12.jpg
ms8neck.jpg
Thank you so much for the feedback on this - Haven't got the chance to continue on this repairing since the spare sockets I ordered online haven't arrived yet.
Appreciate the help, I'll update when the parts come.

Nice holidays!