Re: exA-Arcadia

Post by SuperPang »

RandomRetro
Please Continue...
eBay: carnick10
Initials: RNR

Post by RandomRetro »

My big question on Shikhondo is, what are the changes from the Switch version? I might have missed it, but haven't seen a clear list of differences.
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Post by Shou »

RandomRetro wrote: September 15th, 2020, 7:52 pm My big question on Shikhondo is, what are the changes from the Switch version? I might have missed it, but haven't seen a clear list of differences.
Red Purgatory is the definitive version of Shikhondo envisioned by the original developer.
The game was totally remade from the ground up for the arcade.
1. It is the only version that goes vertical
2. Every stage is fully voiced in both Japanese and English (the story changes depending upon the character and if playing 2 player) with recording supervised by Kojima Productions, Masayoshi Shimano
3. All enemies including boss patterns are heavily modified from the original
4. Sound effects were completely re-engineered by WASi303
5. The game balance and overall experience has been changed to fit to what is expected from an arcade title.

*All console versions were not made by the creator and were licensed out
RandomRetro
Please Continue...

Post by RandomRetro »

Thanks for the detail. Looking forward to checking it out.
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

I will be very disappointed if this does not include some "soundeffects by wasi303" screens before starting a game
Nomax
eBay: nomax_be
Initials: NMX

Post by Nomax »

arcnl wrote: September 16th, 2020, 3:55 pm I will be very disappointed if this does not include some "soundeffects by wasi303" screens before starting a game
Psyvariar Delta AC pre-orders are open. And this game includes new music by Wasi303! :D
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

PSA: SDOJ Exa Label will require firmware 1.3 to run. They will start taking older motherboards back for update around mid October. I'll take the opportunity to have my carts updated as well.

A few impressions, as requested:

Strania EX
I enthused about this game when it came out on Xbox 360. Probably commented at the time that I wished it had an arcade release. Well here we are 9 years on, with a signed motherboard no less. This feels like the definitive version. Four difficulty modes, Strania and Vower missions, two soundtracks. It's a lot of game. I deliberately haven't played the other version(s) since this was announced but from memory, Normal difficulty seems easier. I think this game is a far better choice for your average western arcade than A&B. It's more approachable for your average player and supports two player to boot. Shame they didn't get it out sooner. For the hardcore, HELL mode does what it says on the tin, with added suicide bullets. Oh and the Arrange soundtrack is fabulous.

Infinos EXA
I actually bought this a few months back (when the price was a bit lower - result) just because Strania was going in the NNC and it seemed like a good idea. Probably wouldn't have bought it for a Vewlix. Is that weird? Anyway, it was a good idea because it's a very good game. It looks right at home. With the (player selectable) scanline option, you'd think it was a JAMMA PCB. Normal mode is, I believe, Infinos Gaiden, which is a must buy if you have a Steam. The influences are obvious, it does nothing revolutionary, it's just fun. I think it looks pretty nice too. There's a slight lack of animation on big enemies perhaps but other than that you wouldn't know it's an indie. There are some nice layered backgrounds and effects and occasional sprite scaling. Lovely soundtrack by the guy that did Thunder Force V. EXA mode gives you harder difficulty (more enemies, enemy variations, bullets), weapons at max power and a cool barrier recharge system instead of lives.

Shikhondo Red Purgatory
Yes, I know, I got carried away. First things first, there's a bug that means high scores aren't saved. Don't know how they missed that, but maybe hold off buying until that's fixed if you're on the fence. That aside, a ton of effort has clearly been put into this. It's really finely polished and optimised for the arcade. Thankfully the new voice acting isn't intrusive and boy does this look pretty on a Dia Black. I *think* this might be the first true 9:16 shmup as well. You have most of the screen to play with and both the hitbox and bullets are quite small so it's a really unique experience. I briefly played the PS4 version and I have the same reservations about the first two levels being slow. I need to figure out how to score well to make the most of that. Anyone complaining that A&B or Akyrios are too hard will have no complaints here. There is also a hard mode that I haven't delved into much yet. I still maintain Akyrios/DU3 has a better scoring hook but a lot more effort has been put into this. It looks the money.
RandomRetro
Please Continue...

Post by RandomRetro »

Thanks for the details and sharing your impressions @SuperPang. For the upgrades are you contacted about the updates and changes? Interested in that process and how you are communicating when/how to do the updates. I assume you have to send everything into Exa directly?
buffi

Post by buffi »

I'm also very curious about the firmware upgrade process.
Especially for buyers who have a second hand Exa already.
Anyone know how it works?
Nomax
eBay: nomax_be
Initials: NMX

Post by Nomax »

buffi wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 8:58 pm I'm also very curious about the firmware upgrade process.
Especially for buyers who have a second hand Exa already.
Anyone know how it works?
You'll have to send your system to Japan. You must contact exA using the contact form on their website ( https://exa.ac/en/contact/?v=0f177369a3b7 ) and select "Support" as Inquiry Type.
Last edited by Nomax on September 22nd, 2020, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

I assume we will hear more in the coming weeks. Yes, everything goes back to Japan. Hopefully motherboard upgrades aren’t frequent as that’s obviously a lot more expensive to ship. I imagine there might be a charge if you’re not the original buyer.
Laudec
Please Continue...
eBay: Laudec
Initials: LDK

Post by Laudec »

WOW we have to believe that in 2020 it is impossible to make an upgrade incorporated into the game ...
RandomRetro
Please Continue...

Post by RandomRetro »

Well I think it is clear the update process is about limiting piracy and isn't a technical limitation.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

SuperPang wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 6:50 pm Normal mode is, I believe, Infinos Gaiden, which is a must buy if you have a Steam. The influences are obvious
Thanks for that. Looks like a must-bydo.
Laudec
Please Continue...
eBay: Laudec
Initials: LDK

Post by Laudec »

RandomRetro wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 10:02 pm Well I think it is clear the update process is about limiting piracy and isn't a technical limitation.
I understand but I think it's not really fair play for first-time buyers
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

Didn't CAVE used to charge a fee to fix buggy PCBs?

Wasn't it 22,000yen + Shipping + middleman fees?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

How annoying. I was prepared to send carts for updating, but not the whole system. I bet they could have made an USB dongle that updates the system.
phillv85
Please Continue...
Initials: PAV

Post by phillv85 »

Welcome back to 1997 :lol:
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

zak wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 12:01 am Didn't CAVE used to charge a fee to fix buggy PCBs?
I think that was the price for repairs. 1.5 updates were free. Maybe they charged if you wanted to update to a newer "dot" revision but I don't know anyone who was bothered enough to do that.
Shou
Location: Central Tokyo, Japan, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
Initials: SHO

Post by Shou »

The system update service is free and we will pay for DHL shipping back.

The new update comes with region select, faster loading and among other things the optimal resolution output for Vewlix Diamond Black cabinets. The factory monitor in these cabinets do not return a good EDID.

Also, for those collectors who want the best of the best, Taito Tech is offering a new 1080p replacement monitor (APD-A3204) for Vewlix cabinets that is far better than any of the previous models. It is ~90,000 yen with minimal display lag as opposed to the 8ms or so on the Diamond Blacks. We have 8 of these for our Vewlix cabs on location.