exA-Arcadia

Coin-operated games and arcades.
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Re: exA-Arcadia

Post by yosai »

Thanks for clearing that up. :thumbup: 8-)

Assuming the loke test goes well pre orders for SDOJ can't be that far off. :awe:
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Very interested to see what Tanoshimasu do next.
MrJBRPG
exA-Arcadia Super Fan
eBay: Johnshibrpg
Initials: JPM

Post by MrJBRPG »

Thank you @Shou for clearing things up. I did believe all economic activities will be slowed down from the COVID-19, including arcade.

Wish for everyone to be the best they can be during uncertain times like this.

As for Tanoshimasu, it seems that developers have power on how many units can be made. Some may want to produce endlessly, while others would produce according to the market or simply have a limited run.

I wish I could afford to buy an Exa Arcadia unit, but maybe later down the road.

(I even wish the forums have a "thumbs up" button on posts)
Unknownsou
eBay: unknownsou630
Initials: VAG

Post by Unknownsou »

Shou wrote: September 12th, 2020, 1:14 pm Tanoshimasu has requested one last call on Aka & Blue Type-R sales before moving on.

I am sure people here know by now that they are rather odd in how they do things but this is their game and request.
If you are interested in the game and do not want to pay double the retail price down the line due to its rarity then it would be wise to buy while you can.

We are currently sold out of exA-Arcadia systems due to high demand from Japan and expect to have little supply for the rest of the year due to even more demand created by SDOJ and the troubles related to COVID.
Got it. In the future, it'd be good to know which other games are about to cease production.
Nomax
eBay: nomax_be
Initials: NMX

Post by Nomax »

SuperPang wrote: September 12th, 2020, 1:27 pm Very interested to see what Tanoshimasu do next.
Here's what Hiroyuki Kimura told in an interview in 2018:
My hope is to hopefully make a completely different game after Aka to Blue, probably an action game that everyone could enjoy. I think people might misunderstand Tanoshimasu to be shooting game-only company, but after our action game, who knows, I might make an Aka to Blue sequel! [laughs]

Also, my ambition is to become a company like Treasure. Treasure is a fascinating company, who made interesting action games such as Gunstar Heroes, and also good shooting games like Ikaruga. I aspire for Tanoshimasu to become a company able to provide a quality of a similar calibre.
Full interview: http://shmupemall.com/interviews/interv ... 18015.html

Of course it was a long time ago and it was before the arcade success of Aka & Blue Type-R.

By the way, Arcade Belgium is a reputable arcade news source since 2003. We don't write ****. It reminds me of the guy on Facebook who didn't believe that our interview with ShouTime was our own. He was sure that we translated an interview from IGN Japan. It wouldn't even be possible as both interviews got published at the same time and of course I wasn't aware of the Japanese interview. Needless to say that all questions were my own but of course there are some mandatory generic questions. Luckily, after all these years, we are well known and respected by the amusement industry professionals, and that's what matters.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Unknownsou wrote: September 12th, 2020, 8:27 pmGot it. In the future, it'd be good to know which other games are about to cease production.
Tanoshimasu is weird. I don't think it's likely that others will want to stop producing runs as long as there is demand. Even minuscule demand. I'm sure it's cost effective to do a run of 10 units at 1200 USD a pop. Flash the cartridge, slap on some artwork, print a marquee and poster. Done.

Also, I have huge doubts over the value of AtB going up any time soon. Don't get suckered in to that. There's absolutely no precedent for it. Cave is expensive, however, the CV1000 hardware games are an anomaly from that time period. I can't think of anything else that's worth much all, especially anything that's on PC based hardware. If someone disagrees, I have a bunch of junk to sell you.

Out of interest @Nomax, are you involved with redsuns.be?
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

It will also be interesting to see how well the hardware ages. PCBs seem to a lot more durable than PCs.
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

nem wrote: September 13th, 2020, 10:32 amAlso, I have huge doubts over the value of AtB going up any time soon. Don't get suckered in to that. There's absolutely no precedent for it. Cave is expensive, however, the CV1000 hardware games are an anomaly from that time period. I can't think of anything else that's worth much all, especially anything that's on PC based hardware. If someone disagrees, I have a bunch of junk to sell you.
I really don't know about the price evolution of AtB kits once they are sold out. If my memory serves me well, DoDonPachi Saidaioujou cost €1900,00 ex-VAT on release. What does it go for nowadays?
Granted, it's a PCB and not a cartridge, and it's a Cave game.

You have NG Dev Team MVS cartridges that cost €400 on release and they sometimes sell for €700 on auction sites.

No one can predict, as you say, there's no precedent.

I don't think that it will go for twice the price but it won't devalue, that's for sure. Because many shmup fanatics are waiting for the DDP release to buy an exA. Once they'll own the system, they'll look for other shmups to buy so there will be demand for AtB at that time.
nem wrote: September 13th, 2020, 10:32 amOut of interest @Nomax, are you involved with redsuns.be?
Yes, we set up Red Sun Systems in 2012 as the trade arm of Arcade Belgium. As Arcade Belgium is an unincorporated association, it can't be used to trade (it's an independent news site too). Yet, when the last Belgian amusement distributor wen't under, someone had to take over the distribution in this country. As we knew many operators through my life (I worked at several arcades in the past) and our Arcade Belgium endeavor (we had a list of all arcades in Belgium on the website and provided free consultancy service to operators), we decided to create Red Sun to provide them with new video games, so we became the Namco and Sega distributor for Belgium. I'm glad we did! If we hadn't done so, there would only be crane machines and redemption in the majority of arcades in Belgium (except for the coastal arcades who buy direct from the UK). We are a very small company, we operate at low cost and take a very small profit margin (in the hope to repopulate the public space with arcade video games), so we are cheaper than other distributors. Beside sales, Red Sun Systems rents machines to operators and operates its own machines. It's also used for contracts with event organizers when we set up an "Arcade Belgium" stand at their events. The important thing is that we do this as a secondary job and out of passion, profit is not the main motive. Our primary goal is to give back arcade presence in the wild. Sorry for the digression as this is an exA thread... :-/
Last edited by Nomax on September 13th, 2020, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

yosai wrote: September 13th, 2020, 11:10 amIt will also be interesting to see how well the hardware ages. PCBs seem to a lot more durable than PCs.
Well, I woudn't necessarily say that. I have tons of old computers that work just fine.

Luck of the draw with these things. If the manufacturers of the hardware (motherboard, GPU, PSU) didn't cheap out on parts like capacitors, it could last for a really long time. At least the thing is power efficient, so I don't expect it to cook itself unlike some other PC hardware.

Nomax wrote: September 13th, 2020, 11:36 am Sorry for the digression as this is an exA thread... :-/
Hardly digression. This is the main exA-Arcadia thread here and you guys are a reseller.

Anyway, that's awesome to hear. I hope you have tons of success with your endeavors. I love to hear about passionate people that are in the industry.
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

I think a lot of people forget that a PC motherboard is also a PCB :awe:

If a Deathsmiles 2 PC is selling for 300,000+ yen (untested) now, nothing surprises me.
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

By that logic my alarm clock is a pcb
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

nem wrote: September 13th, 2020, 12:10 pm
Nomax wrote: September 13th, 2020, 11:36 am Sorry for the digression as this is an exA thread... :-/
Hardly digression. This is the main exA-Arcadia thread here and you guys are a reseller.

Anyway, that's awesome to hear. I hope you have tons of success with your endeavors. I love to hear about passionate people that are in the industry.
Thank you very much! I think that passionate people will revitalize the industry. Of course that's not where the money is but it's certainly where the drive force is!

When we created Arcade Belgium in the early 2000s, there were no arcade news websites in the West beside Neo-Arcadia (which was in French only). General video game website didn't even mention news arcade releases, only talking about the home ports without even mentioning they were ports! Long gone was the age of video game magazines with some pages dedicated to arcade games. So it was much needed!
Nowadays, Adam Pratt is doing a very good job at spreading arcade news with Arcade Heroes.

And look at all those passionate individuals who open new arcades with video games (and not redemption focused) such as Arcade Club and The Heart of Gaming in the UK, TonTon Club and Nationaal Videogame Museum in The Netherlands, Arcade Planet and Mikado Europe in Spain, Coin-op Legacy, Geek Room, Atom City and James Game Center in France, Free Play and Gate Ninety World in Belgium... and many others. Including associations who bring arcade machines to public events to get the general audience's attention on arcade video games. Those are the real game changers.
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

arcnl wrote: September 13th, 2020, 12:45 pm By that logic my alarm clock is a pcb
Yet, it is.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Interesting stuff Nomax. Good on you. It seems like a genuine passion for the hobby is a prerequisite to building (and maintaining) a more traditional arcade outside of Japan these days. It's not been easy money for many a year.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

In other news, Shikhondo has gone gold.

Nomax

Post by Nomax »

SuperPang wrote: September 13th, 2020, 1:24 pm In other news, Shikhondo has gone gold.

Wow, it's literally gold! We published a news about it when it was released 3 days ago but I hadn't seen a picture of the cartridge yet. It looks great!
Unknownsou

Post by Unknownsou »

More of a.... mucus color, really.
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

Unknownsou wrote: September 13th, 2020, 4:06 pm More of a.... mucus color, really.
It's hard to get the gold colour right with other materials... Look at how gold car paint is brownish.
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

arcnl wrote: September 13th, 2020, 12:45 pm By that logic my alarm clock is a pcb
Stick it in your arcade cabinet.
Unknownsou

Post by Unknownsou »

Nomax wrote: September 13th, 2020, 4:37 pm
Unknownsou wrote: September 13th, 2020, 4:06 pm More of a.... mucus color, really.
It's hard to get the gold colour right with other materials... Look at how gold car paint is brownish.
Oh, I know. I'm just saying that it looks like I sneezed on my $1,200 cartridge.