Analogue Pocket

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Re: Analogue Pocket

Post by cRacKh0rN »

A couple of already sold on ebay for £415 + shipping :problem:

Thankfully they have announced another round of preorders.
I got one but I didn't notice the release date. They have deducted the money already.
I feel a little bit like I just helped fund it :shifty:
cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN »

cools wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 7:27 pm Nope. Too long delivery time and this thing lives and I want to see actual reviews before i invest any time into it. I'd like to be able to handle one before I buy too, as it doesn't look all that great in terms of edges and control positions, as well as the dpad being a total unknown.
You've got a valid point about the edges. The original GB is good because it is deep.
I was hoping this would be my grail handheld.
I was particularly keen due to the Neo Geo Pocket adapter but that didn't go up on the site today and neither did the Atari Lynx one.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

Same no interest in it for many reason, mainly a year long pre order for something that is seemingly devolved? :eh: and price :problem: :problem: although I seem to think everything is overpriced :lol: . I know it appeals to many but to me it seems like it's all about marketing and hitting the insta likes for the most part ,I also have most of what its covering anyway..
I also personally despise anything that builds up faucet demand :problem: :problem: with limited number release numbers but that is the age we live in. And why I dropped buying from limited games and mondo years ago

But mainly I never moved on from playing older systems as they were cheap .... I'll have to take up modern gaming at this rate. :awe:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

It has market and like Mark I'll probably regret it like everything else I skip or talk myself out of :shifty:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

You want a NGPC buy a NGPC. Most comfortable handheld bar none, best controls. Get the screen backlit, job done. 100% confident the Analogue Pocket won't be better. They can beat a GB or Lynx, not the NGPC.
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

In the end one of the things i figured was i'd still be playing on a clone system and i more or less know how i would feel about that. I did doubt about getting 2 for scalping but in the end i figured i just couldn't be arsed. DMG4life yo.
cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN »

I'm hoping the screen is going to be great which is a big thing for me.
I did look at your modded gb's with interest I must admit.

Rather annoyed that my cc has been debited already. I could have done without that and with a 9month wait too :problem:

If their other stuff is anything to go by, you should be able to sell it for a nice profit if it doesn't cut it for you.
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

True i guess. Let's just say i have an opinion if i see things like a rhea being offered for over 200 quid on forums so i decided for myself that's not a practice i want to participate in. For now i'm curious to see reviews for the pocket turn up in due time and we'll see how things go from there on. Would be nice to see something other than a render for a change.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Can't afford one right now, so I skipped it. I think the price is perfectly fine for what it is though. How much was shipping to Europe? That probably sucked.

cools wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 10:08 pm You want a NGPC buy a NGPC. Most comfortable handheld bar none, best controls. Get the screen backlit, job done.

Don't get the current backlit screen. It is ****. It is small and doesn't render all the graphical effects:

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/ ... post223560
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Ahh I meant the backlight that doesnt involve replacing the screen.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Ahh, of course. Yes, get the screen backlit. Don't get the backlit screen :lol:
chubsta
I'm getting too old for this shit...
eBay: chubsta

Post by chubsta »

can’t understand the point of this as it works out far more expensive then buying a modded gb and ever drive, or am i missing something?
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

You'd still need to buy the Everdrive, it doesn't play ROMs
cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN »

chubsta wrote: August 4th, 2020, 5:00 pm can’t understand the point of this as it works out far more expensive then buying a modded gb and ever drive, or am i missing something?
FPGA with adapters.
Runs Gamegear, Gameboy, NeoGeo Pocket, Atari Lynx.
Sequencing software and potential for more adapters / third party development.

Could be great. Could be an utter waste of money :D
chubsta

Post by chubsta »

cRacKh0rN wrote: August 4th, 2020, 5:17 pm
chubsta wrote: August 4th, 2020, 5:00 pm can’t understand the point of this as it works out far more expensive then buying a modded gb and ever drive, or am i missing something?
FPGA with adapters.
Runs Gamegear, Gameboy, NeoGeo Pocket, Atari Lynx.
i can see the point in fpga for old arcade hardware etc but basically then this is just a posh handheld, probably better than a gpi with a zero in it, but in practice is it literally hundreds of pounds better?

or is it’s future value basically going to be amongst collectors who hardly ever play games?
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

chubsta wrote: August 4th, 2020, 5:53 pm or is it’s future value basically going to be amongst collectors who hardly ever play games?
Grinning Cat
eBay: N/A

Post by Grinning Cat »

cRacKh0rN wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 9:05 pm A couple of already sold on ebay for £415 + shipping :problem:
Considering Analogue's shipping prices and Customs, that's probably cheaper than buying direct ;)
chubsta

Post by chubsta »

SuperPang wrote: August 4th, 2020, 6:08 pm
chubsta wrote: August 4th, 2020, 5:53 pm or is it’s future value basically going to be amongst collectors who hardly ever play games?

I guess I did kind of realise the answer to this as I typed it, this is the spiritual home of arcade collectors and completists after all...
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

Grinning Cat wrote: August 4th, 2020, 6:26 pm
cRacKh0rN wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 9:05 pm A couple of already sold on ebay for £415 + shipping :problem:
Considering Analogue's shipping prices and Customs, that's probably cheaper than buying direct ;)
eBay preorder guarantee is only 30 days :lol: So this won't end well for these sellers :p
cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN »

chubsta wrote:
i can see the point in fpga for old arcade hardware etc but basically then this is just a posh handheld, probably better than a gpi with a zero in it, but in practice is it literally hundreds of pounds better?

or is it’s future value basically going to be amongst collectors who hardly ever play games?
Forgive the copy-paste marketing spiel but this is what appeals to me:
P3.5”, 615 ppi, LCD. With a 1600x1440 resolution, Pocket has 10x the resolution of an original Game Boy. Pro level color accuracy, dynamic range, and brightness. The display is even made from Gorilla® Glass. There has never been a display this advanced in a video game system.
It equates to approx $289 with all the adapters plus shipping ($49.99) + the inevitable customs butt hurt. That screen better be nice :D