Rust under control panel overlay

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Rust under control panel overlay

Post by cools »

I've got a Lindbergh control panel that has the usual rust-from-sweat creeping under the overlay.

Any suggestions as to how to fix it without wrecking the overlay?

I'm thinking hairdryer etc and removing the overlay to treat the rust may work but I don't want to damage the overlay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Re: Rust under control panel overlay

Post by thegreathopper »

I have repaired a few like that, my method was to gently lift a small part of the overlay and then remove the rust with a flat needle file until it’s 90% gone, then spread pva glue or similar between the overlay and CP.

Quickly clamp it so most of the glue comes out, job done!

Won’t be perfect but will get rid of that horrible rust, mine were not quite as bad as yours though.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

I'm sure Kern has mastered the file option by now :think:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
MDK

Post by MDK »

I've removed the windy 2 overlay in one piece before with success but the WII is more of a PVC / acetate type of material and quite brittle, not sure what the Lindbergh overlay is like. I used hair dryer and rather than apply heat directly to the overlay I heated from underneath as the steel will conduct the heat fairly well.

Initially I tried using a palette knife to separate the overlay from the panel but I found it to be too aggressive so used gift cards that you find at the end of supermarket checkouts, they worked out quite well. I would recommend not pulling at the overlay if its a PVC style as it will stretch under the heat, use the shim type tool to separate the adhesive from the panel and gently lift the art work off then clean the excess residue from the overlay asap as you go along.
copados33
Please Continue...
eBay: psycho-q

Post by copados33 »

MDK wrote: July 31st, 2020, 9:12 pm I've removed the windy 2 overlay in one piece before with success but the WII is more of a PVC / acetate type of material and quite brittle, not sure what the Lindbergh overlay is like. I used hair dryer and rather than apply heat directly to the overlay I heated from underneath as the steel will conduct the heat fairly well.

Initially I tried using a palette knife to separate the overlay from the panel but I found it to be too aggressive so used gift cards that you find at the end of supermarket checkouts, they worked out quite well. I would recommend not pulling at the overlay if its a PVC style as it will stretch under the heat, use the shim type tool to separate the adhesive from the panel and gently lift the art work off then clean the excess residue from the overlay asap as you go along.
What kind of glue did you use to stick it back again ?
MDK

Post by MDK »

copados33 wrote: August 1st, 2020, 5:12 am What kind of glue did you use to stick it back again ?
I used 3M adhesive transfer sheets which work quite well but can be fiddly, alternatively you could use a spray adhesive but I don't have any experience with those types of glue.

Ideally you want to get the backing laser cut but I did mine by hand.