Painted AC stripping the paint

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Painted AC stripping the paint

Post by zumbito »

Hi everyone,

After I finished my MVS project I want to tackle on my AC. Problem is it was painted over the original surface with and ugly nuclear white and worst finish possible. I was wondering how to go about it. If I use some chemical paint stripper will it damage the original surface? I have no clue what the original AC is, as if looks smooth but not shinny as a pint would be.

Any ideas?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Painted AC stripping the paint

Post by nem »

zumbito wrote: July 14th, 2020, 8:55 amProblem is it was painted over the original surface with and ugly nuclear white and worst finish possible.
Oh god, I have this issue with a few Versus City cabs. I don't mind yellowed plastic at all, I do mind if some **** paints over it badly with crappy paint. I'm absolutely livid just thinking about it. I would probably punch whoever did it if I had the chance.

So yeah, definitely interested how you go about this. Reading online many suggest just sanding it down :problem:
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

Yes, seems the only option, I was wondering if there was any chemical product that could remove the paint and leave the surface untouched, problem is I don't know what material is are these candies finished with.
arcadista
Initials: AIL

Post by arcadista »

I used what I think in english is called an orbital sander for the bigger parts and then used a paint stripper gel for the hard to reach areas (the ones still white in the second photo) it was not harmful for the plastic.

This is right after applying primer coat

And this is after color coat but before polishing:

Please excuse my english if there is any spelling mistake.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Very nice!
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

arcadista wrote: July 16th, 2020, 4:27 am I used what I think in english is called an orbital sander for the bigger parts and then used a paint stripper gel for the hard to reach areas (the ones still white in the second photo) it was not harmful for the plastic.

That a great work. Did the paint stripper remove the original paint or just the crappy repainted parts?
arcadista
Initials: AIL

Post by arcadista »

The paint stripper removed everything and left the plastic exposed.
If you wish to repaint and not go that far, I would just sand over the older paint enough to make a porous surface for the new paint to adhere to.
copados33
Please Continue...
eBay: psycho-q

Post by copados33 »

I will never understand the reasson behind people painting Astro Citys, unless the original paint is completely gone, or in case of yellowed plastic cabs, these don't rust they are not made of metal, why ruin the sideart? unless its completely gone, why replace it with a reproduction that looks like ****? just clean, wash the cab, fix the cabling, PSU and monitor, remove rust form metallic parts, DONE.

its an arcade cab, its not like you are going to eat over it.
Hackcell
eBay: jaczeld
Initials: DJV

Post by Hackcell »

arcadista wrote: July 16th, 2020, 4:27 am I used what I think in english is called an orbital sander for the bigger parts and then used a paint stripper gel for the hard to reach areas (the ones still white in the second photo) it was not harmful for the plastic.

what number of sanding disk did you use for this?
wonderbanana
You can't polish a turd, but I can

Post by wonderbanana »

arcadista wrote: July 27th, 2020, 5:11 pm The paint stripper removed everything and left the plastic exposed.
If you wish to repaint and not go that far, I would just sand over the older paint enough to make a porous surface for the new paint to adhere to.
This 😀
markedkiller78 wrote:that's probably my best contribution to the forum to date "I am pluralising fanny"
supabok
eBay: superbokbok

Post by supabok »

This is great info and very handy as I plan to do the same resto to my NAC!

Cab looks fantastic as well!!!