Removing Egret 2 illumination panel (and speaker grills)

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Lazyace
eBay: Lazyace1980
Initials: BRK

Removing Egret 2 illumination panel (and speaker grills)

Post by Lazyace »

Have stripped most of the cabs now and am going to take off the front bezel next week. My illumination panels are in good condition and want to preserve them. I've noticed there are sort if pegs which are glued in place. I'm also reliably informed by the wonderful Zaki that the ends are glued too. Does anyone have any good suggestions how to remove the panel in one piece? I was thinking of cutting the glue from the pegs with a scalpel, but not sure what to do about either end. I have a heat gun but it runs incredibly hot and I fear it would damage the rest of the bezel. Also, less important but wondering how remove the speaker grills?

Thanks all.
g60hot
Please Continue...
eBay: recycle-squad

Re: Removing Egret 2 illumination panel (and speaker grills)

Post by g60hot »

does it really need to be removed? I'd personally leave it where it is unless it HAS to be removed!
Lazyace

Post by Lazyace »

Looks like it John. I've had them painted around professionally before and it looks crap, even with careful masking. I'll see what I can do though. May be a way around it ;)
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

The one on my old E2 was fully glued and the plastic had fatigued. There is no way it would have come off in one piece.

YMMV but I'd try and source a possible replacement before attempting removal.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

take it from me, you don't want to take these off. I had one crack as they get brittle with the lamp heat and age.

As yosai pointed out source a replacement before starting.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

To remove the speaker grills you will need to remove the speakers , once they are removed look at back of the grill, you will see two legs (one on each side) you need to straighten with long nose pliers and the grill will pop out.

To refit is just the opposite, twist the legs. They can break off so be careful, as they are part of the actual grill you'll be f**cked if they break off.
Lazyace

Post by Lazyace »

Thanks for the input all, much appreciated. Will approach this gingerly tomorrow.