Capcom SSF2 QSOUND Cabinet info

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
vholfx
eBay: vholfx

Capcom SSF2 QSOUND Cabinet info

Post by vholfx »

Hey guys,

So I found this Capcom cabinet for sale, as far as I know it's a Super Street Fighter II dedicated cab, it's in great shape. However, I cannot find any info about it, I don't know the name of the cabinet model, or how common/rare it is. One thing that cough my eye was the coin slot being on the side of the monitor instead of down, I've never seen that before. I don't know if this is an american or Japaneses machine (do hey even have non-candy cabs in Japan?). I didn't take any pictures because it was in a dark storage, covered by dust and arcade parts, and this is the only picture I found in google
ssf2.png
So any links, info or comments on this cab are welcome.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Capcom SSF2 QSOUND Cabinet info

Post by nem »

I've only ever seen one. It's currently sitting in my storage room :awe:

It's an Euro cab, most likely made in the UK.

It has a 28" Polo inside.

Sticks and buttons are Edierre brand.

The control panel (the steel panel underneath the acrylic) has holes in the middle for a third player. I'm going to convert mine to 3P.

Anyway, it's a very nice upright cab. If it's local to you and you have the space, get it.
vholfx

Post by vholfx »

Great info! Thanks

I really can't find anything else about the cab. Are Polo monitor any good? I've only owned toshiba, wells Gardner and generic ones.

It's awesome it can be converted to 3 players, I would definitely do that to play D&D, one of my favorite cps2 games.

I'll give the seller another visit, we'll have to move the entire storage to get to the cab and test the monitor, I really don't want a dead screen, don't have time for more projects atm, but If it works, I'll make him an offer.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

The Hanterex Polo is a nice monitor. Not as nice a Nanao or a Tosh, but certainly on the level of Wells-Gardner. It was pretty ubiquitous in Europe, so replacement parts are easily available.

One thing I'll mention of the sticks. Edierre brand joysticks are pretty novel, they're screw-in (like buttons). So as stock the panel has just holes for the stick, no additional bolts for mounting. So either you use Edierre brand or you install additional bolts.

Edierre are still in the business, so you can buy the sticks new:

http://www.edierre.com/prodotto_dett.php?id_prodotto=7
vholfx

Post by vholfx »

Well I decided to grab the cab. It was quite expensive but it's quite unique where I live, possibly the only one in the whole country and the seller knew this. Even so, cps2 is my favorite system so I had to have it.

The cabinet itself has all original buttons (switches are in perfect shape), the screen is like brand new, and wiring is also original although a bit hacked off and left in a rats nest situation. There is no qsound amp either, it possibly died during its days.

Any chance you could take some pictures of the inside of the cab? I would love to leave the wires as original as possible and get a new qsound amp. I would need pictures if I want to do that though, there a lose wires that led nowhere
20200319_111237.jpg
20200319_111234.jpg
20200319_111228.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by vholfx on March 26th, 2020, 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vholfx

Post by vholfx »

Here's the wires, some lose connectors and some hacked stuff.

Can was being used for tekken
20200319_111945.jpg
20200319_111934.jpg
20200319_111252.jpg
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Top harness looks like it's for a coin mech / mech control board. I usually yank those out.

Too bad it didn't have the amp. They come up somewhat regularly for sale on eBay US, so keep your eyes peeled. You can also make a WTB post on Arcade-Museum.

I can take some pics of my cab. I'll try to do it this weekend.
vholfx

Post by vholfx »

Thanks! That would be awesome. Id like to know where the qsound amp is placed and wired for when I get one.

I just fixed the kick harness which had been cut and replaced by a tekken one, luckly they left the original inside so all I had to do was join back the wires

I still have to test the coin mech.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

capcom_qsound.jpg

Not a great pic, but here's where the amp and transformer should be.
vholfx

Post by vholfx »

Thank you! That is quite useful, I have a lot of work to do before mine looks remotely like that lol.

I noticed the cps2 board is not connected to the RC inputs of the amp, sound is going through jamma instead, I was under the impression that in order qsound to work it has to be connected trough RC. Is that not the case?

PS: That is a peculiar power supply.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Jamma is amplified mono only, so yes, you have to connect the amp to the line level stereo RCA outputs of the motherboard.

That's the original PSU. Can't remember the model number off hand, but it's a Hantarex one.
vholfx

Post by vholfx »

I found a well priced Q SOUND amp. It's the capcom Cute cab amplifier, so it doesn't need an external transformer and has a mono-stereo switch. I ordered but will obviously be delayed by weeks but that's fine.

I'll move to the coin mech next, the current one is broken (and it's not the original, it was replaced by the common local coin mech). The replacement was poorly done, but can be fixed.

I would leave the PSU for last, if I even decide to get the original, I've been told it is quite unreliable. I might get a broken one and leave it disconnected just for aesthetics purposes.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Yeah, I wouldn't bother getting one of those PSUs just for the sake of it being original.
vholfx

Post by vholfx »

Do you by any chance have a Virtua Fighter 2 cab?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Nope.
vholfx

Post by vholfx »

For those out there interested, I started another thread, and there's some cool info and pics about this cab

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/topic376100_ ... ml#1137872