Step-down for cab

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Benimaru7
eBay: Benimaru7
Initials: Ben

Step-down for cab

Post by Benimaru7 »

What step-down convertor are people using for their cabs in the UK?
I'm in the UK with 240V so would a 300w be required for an Astro City or would that be overkill?
phillv85
Please Continue...
Initials: PAV

Re: Step-down for cab

Post by phillv85 »

I use 1000w Airlink step downs for each pair of my cabs. I think the Astro is only rated at 140 or 160W so 300 should be fine. It has the rating on a sticker on the rear of the cab, so check it to be sure.
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

One of these will be fine for a single cab. Maybe get a slightly higher rated one if you plan to run a second cab off it in the future.

250w - https://airlinktransformers.com/product ... -uk-ja0250

500w - https://airlinktransformers.com/product ... -uk-ja0500
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

"All transformers from 1kVA and above, are fitted with surge limiters"

https://airlinktransformers.com/categor ... converters

Sounds reassuring :)
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Hopefully thegreathopper will see this thread, but I’m sure he said it’s not the best idea (not a quote) to underload a stepdown?
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

/me bookmarks that post to justify a new cab at some point :awe:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
Flinnster
Please Continue...
eBay: flinnster
Initials: KID

Post by Flinnster »

I still have a bunch of 220-240v -> 100-120v maplin style stepdowns.
I think previous owners of my cabs used them, but I'm still fearful of blindly pumping 120v into 100v rated Japanese spec PSU's, sound amps and monitors.
Some posts have stated 120v is well within 'tolerance' levels for a 29" Japanese arcade monitor, others suggest I should have a fire extinguisher handy.
As for underloading a step-down.... :wtf: :roll:
WTD: Rolling Thunder pcb, ANY Dino King / Love & Berry / MushiKing spare parts!!
Benimaru7
eBay: Benimaru7
Initials: Ben

Post by Benimaru7 »

Thanks for the tips guys, 300 should be fine then. I don’t think I’ll be able to have two cabs anytime soon unless I get a divorce!! :lol:
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

Flinnster wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 1:18 am I still have a bunch of 220-240v -> 100-120v maplin style stepdowns.
I think previous owners of my cabs used them, but I'm still fearful of blindly pumping 120v into 100v rated Japanese spec PSU's, sound amps and monitors.
Some posts have stated 120v is well within 'tolerance' levels for a 29" Japanese arcade monitor, others suggest I should have a fire extinguisher handy.
As for underloading a step-down.... :wtf: :roll:
I'd be surprised if you where getting 120v but it could be ,I vaguely remember taking reading from all of my various different transformers years ago and none ran that high ,all of them came in closer to the 110 mark than anything which really is within tolerance ,hell even you measured everyones 230-240v feeds from there house you would get wide ranging results ,which probably has a bearing on the results as well

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

markedkiller78 wrote: October 1st, 2019, 8:52 pm Hopefully thegreathopper will see this thread, but I’m sure he said it’s not the best idea (not a quote) to underload a stepdown?
I don’t think there would be a problem with Airlink transformers being oversized, I personally use transformers close to their output to keep the output stable.

But after staying that I recently fitted two huge airlink transformers in a recording studio. One for USA amplifiers and one for UK equipment feeding their own distribution boards. These were specified by airlink and with vintage Marshall and Vox equipment you need a good supply.

We get a solid 240 or 120 volts even under no load, we have no suppression or filters fitted (they can affect sound quality)
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

thegreathopper wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 8:51 am we have no suppression or filters fitted (they can affect sound quality)
I've learnt this is a contentious subject amongst audiophiles! Airlink's balanced power supplies seem to be increasingly popular though.

They do make quality products. Their step-down transformers are worth the extra over the Chinese made US-UK converters the likes of Maplin sell.
Flinnster
Please Continue...
eBay: flinnster
Initials: KID

Post by Flinnster »

geotrig wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 8:24 am I'd be surprised if you where getting 120v but it could be ,I vaguely remember taking reading from all of my various different transformers years ago and none ran that high ,all of them came in closer to the 110 mark than anything which really is within tolerance ,hell even you measured everyones 230-240v feeds from there house you would get wide ranging results ,which probably has a bearing on the results as well
From my limited understanding yeah, it's all maths due to the number of turns on the wiring coil.
So the stepdown is likely halving the voltage by having double the number of wiring loops on one side, And yeah, if UK mains voltage is typically floating around the 230Vish region, then the output on these buggers will be 115Vish.
I have just the one airlink to go round four Japanese cabs now. Tis a right pain in the ****! :awe:

SuperPang wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 12:43 pm I've learnt this is a contentious subject amongst audiophiles! Airlink's balanced power supplies seem to be increasingly popular though.

They do make quality products. Their step-down transformers are worth the extra over the Chinese made US-UK converters the likes of Maplin sell.
Thanks Mr. SP. I Guess that's my answer...
WTD: Rolling Thunder pcb, ANY Dino King / Love & Berry / MushiKing spare parts!!
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

UK mains is effectively still 240V, and will often be higher. I don't think they changed anything when the European standard 230V came in because we should be within the tolerance range.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

markedkiller78 wrote: October 1st, 2019, 8:52 pmHopefully thegreathopper will see this thread, but I’m sure he said it’s not the best idea (not a quote) to underload a stepdown?
I regularly power just one cab with a 5000W step-down. Haven't had any issues in the past five years.
delatroy
Please Continue...
eBay: delatroy

Post by delatroy »

phillv85 wrote: October 1st, 2019, 10:32 am I use 1000w Airlink step downs for each pair of my cabs. I think the Astro is only rated at 140 or 160W so 300 should be fine. It has the rating on a sticker on the rear of the cab, so check it to be sure.
What model number please? Is it better to have 1 step down converter for 2 cabs or 1 each?
phillv85
Please Continue...
Initials: PAV

Post by phillv85 »

I use these.

https://airlinktransformers.com/product ... -uk-ja1000

I use one of them for 2 Astro's. It's overkill but the 1000va ones have surge limiters.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

A surge limiter is somewhat redundant because your cab has fuses everywhere. I've never had the limiter go off.