Getting Pandora's Box 4 to run on CGA (15khz only) monitor?

PCB problems and fixes
Darklightjg1
Please Continue...
eBay: darklightjg3450
Initials: HIM

Getting Pandora's Box 4 to run on CGA (15khz only) monitor?

Post by Darklightjg1 »

Has anyone done this? I've been searching all around for something that confirms it has been done before, but the closest thing I could find is something being done to resolve the reverse issue (they used a CGA to VGA converter):

I'm erring on the side of caution, because there's a possibility that the last time my monitor chassis blew up and had to be sent for repair was due to trying to run pandora's box 4 on there and that might have detected the wrong output (vga cable was in the PB4, but not connected to any monitor). This is the version I have:

It's a Pandora's Box 4 with an elf to JAMMA adapter to use for the kick harness. I notice the sticker says "HD" on it too. The manual says it's supposed to support both CGA and VGA, but I'm not sure. I've read others saying this might not be the case. I want to find out some more info instead of straight up plugging it into the JAMMA connector and risk the chassis messing up again. Anyone with extra insight on this?
Darklightjg1
Please Continue...
eBay: darklightjg3450
Initials: HIM

Re: Getting Pandora's Box 4 to run on CGA (15khz only) monitor?

Post by Darklightjg1 »

I saw a video of someone playing with the same type of PB4 on their Astro City cabinet (which usually comes with a 15khz monitor), so I took the risk and tried it on mine... it does indeed work and didn't blow up again (thank goodness). The only difference I can think of is that I did NOT have the VGA cable plugged in and hanging to the side this time, so I'd recommend anyone trying to use it to take the same precaution.