Monitor discharge tool.

For monitor related issues
SailorLodestar
Please Continue...
eBay: maasasingleto-0
Initials: STR

Monitor discharge tool.

Post by SailorLodestar »

Back to my first time discharging a monitor. I didn't have to do it with my Sega Blast City because I was just moving the crt to clean inside the cab and it has a bleeder circuit. But now I have a Capcom impress, and astro city coming and I need to clean inside of both of them.

Will this do as a discharge tool?

https://www.amazon.com/AideTek-Pintek-V ... 76SGCTGQWH

I don't want to mess around with trying some homemade crap and killing myself.
WTB: King of Dragons (US or world), Battle Circuit (Blue or Grey)
RMRM

Re: Monitor discharge tool.

Post by RMRM »

You probably want to keep it simple:

Get a good insulated flat head screwdriver (you probably have this at home) and two aligator clips (good thick ones). Simply solder a heavy gauge wire connecting both clips, than put one on the screwdriver and the other on the metal plate connected to the chassis.

Simple and effective.
Nebula
eBay: nebula087
Initials: POL

Post by Nebula »

RMRM wrote: June 12th, 2019, 9:47 am You probably want to keep it simple:

Get a good insulated flat head screwdriver (you probably have this at home) and two aligator clips (good thick ones). Simply solder a heavy gauge wire connecting both clips, than put one on the screwdriver and the other on the metal plate connected to the chassis.

Simple and effective.
This is the same I do when discharging my tubes right before to manipulate them. The only thing that differs is that I don’t put the wire on the metal plate of the chassis, but to the earthing pin in any of the wall sockets of my home. No electric arcs anymore 👍🏼
FcoBenitez
Please Continue...
eBay: virtuacl
Initials: KBL

Post by FcoBenitez »

sergiopolog wrote: June 22nd, 2019, 1:16 pm
RMRM wrote: June 12th, 2019, 9:47 am You probably want to keep it simple:

Simple and effective.
This is the same I do when discharging my tubes right before to manipulate them. The only thing that differs is that I don’t put the wire on the metal plate of the chassis, but to the earthing pin in any of the wall sockets of my home. No electric arcs anymore 👍🏼
What
Why are you doing this
2X Sega Aero City
ChuChuFlamingo

Post by ChuChuFlamingo »

I thought the same thing. You are not discharging it that way.

The whole point of putting the discharge on the chassis ground frame/degauss strap and then under the anode cup is to essentially short it together (don't do this on vector monitors). Very similar to discharging the negative and positive end of a capacitor (safest way is to use a resistor so you don't damage the capacitor).

To make things simple your tube is essentially one big capacitor in regards to energy. Always make sure to discharge it more than once since one discharge may not fully drain it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric_absorption