Where to find that part?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
erzane
Not Made In Japan
eBay: Gab79

Where to find that part?

Post by erzane »

I'm doing a 3D sketch to make a new CP for my Pony and I just found out that the holes of this parts are unique since they are screwed (how to say this in english: it means that a screw is supposed to get in and turn). Actually I don't know how to do this kind of specific hole and I'd like to know if it's possible to buy this part somewhere?
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arcade's nice when done well
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Re: Where to find that part?

Post by yosai »

It could be a nut that's welded on to the mount, or a thicker piece of metal that's had a thread tapped in to it.
erzane
Not Made In Japan

Post by erzane »

yosai wrote: May 8th, 2019, 11:20 pm It could be a nut that's welded on to the mount, or a thicker piece of metal that's had a thread tapped in to it.
Yes! The four holes are threaded, but the treads are deeper than the hole itself, that's why they goes further than the thickness of the plate since the plate is only 1,2mm thick. It seems to be normal, but I just don't know how to reproduce this kind of thread.
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

Use a tap.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tap_and_die

tap-metal4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

When sheet metal is very thin (1mm or less), the hole is first plunged with a press so as to produce a raised area that is deep enough to be threaded. Stick mounting plates/brackets are thick enough (3mm) to be just threaded though.
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Post by DaveyD »

As above - the holes on the joystick mounts are swaged and threaded (it is done to make the material thicker as the 1.5mm panel is too thin to hold a strong thread)
erzane
Not Made In Japan

Post by erzane »

That's correct!
If I use a ''tap'' as shown by Yosai, can I reproduce that kind of thread myself with an only 1,5mm thickness?
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

M4 course (standard) pitch is 0.7mm so you would get two pitches of full thread in a 1.5mm thick piece of material. It's not ideal but it would be enough to hold a joystick to a panel, assuming the tapped thread was near perfect. I think you would struggle to tap such a thread with a hand tap only as for a near perfect thread you need to keep the tap concentric to the hole which is hard in such thin material

When tapping holes by hand I use a pillar drill to keep the tap concentric and perpendicular to the hole, similar to this:

Another option would be to use self clinching nuts but you would need a press to install them. Seen on the left in the picture below:

Another option that would require no special tooling would be just to drill the plates with through holes and then insert carriage bolts from the back of the plates before they are attached to the CP. You would then use a standard nut on the other side of the panel to secure the joystick to the panel.
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

erzane wrote: May 11th, 2019, 8:34 am That's correct!
If I use a ''tap'' as shown by Yosai, can I reproduce that kind of thread myself with an only 1,5mm thickness?
Plunging is a bending process so you need a press (manual or hydraulic) and a suitable punch and die to make a plunged hole that you can subsequently thread. It's stuff that is done in machine shops. I don't think it's impossible to do at home but you cannot do it properly without a press.

erzane
Not Made In Japan

Post by erzane »

I see. If I ask the manufature who cut my cp from the 3d programm, they should have this tap/press right?
FcoBenitez
Please Continue...
eBay: virtuacl
Initials: KBL

Post by FcoBenitez »

Not necessarily, but you can ask. If you just need to make one panel, you can go to any machinist workshop and they will be able to make what you need.
2X Sega Aero City
erzane
Not Made In Japan

Post by erzane »

I asked to the manufacture, so they are able to do it, it's a common thing to do. Thanks anyway 8-)