Candy cabs for beat em ups?

Coin-operated games and arcades.
SailorLodestar
Please Continue...
eBay: maasasingleto-0
Initials: STR

Candy cabs for beat em ups?

Post by SailorLodestar »

I'm trying to find out what kind of cabinets Japanese arcade goers would used for games like Captain Commando, Xmen, or the Simpsons arcade game. So far the search for 2+ player candy cabs points to models like the Sega Swing. Those seem to be rare because I can't find a single instance of one for sale.

Does anyone know what beat em up candy cabs would have been popular in the early and mid-nineties?
WTB: King of Dragons (US or world), Battle Circuit (Blue or Grey)
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Re: Candy cabs for beat em ups?

Post by yosai »

For any games using more than 2 players operators would have probably linked machines.
Dache

Post by Dache »

I think I've seen a 3P panel for the Capcom Q25 (or a relative) for sale before. That would've been the 'official' setup for Captain Commando, and probably AvP and any other 3P Capcom brawler in Japan, I suppose. Dunno what they would've recommended or sold themselves for 4P DnD and Battle Circuit. Did they sell cab link setups?
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

Sega Swing maybe?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

yosai wrote: March 29th, 2019, 7:06 pm For any games using more than 2 players operators would have probably linked machines.
This yeah.

I don't think there's a candy cab other than the Swing that is designed for more than 2P.
SailorLodestar
Please Continue...
eBay: maasasingleto-0
Initials: STR

Post by SailorLodestar »

Anyone know of a guide out there for linking cabs?
WTB: King of Dragons (US or world), Battle Circuit (Blue or Grey)
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Afaik was just custom or one-off-dedicated cabs even in Japan for most of the mp brawlers, more in the woody/US style than candy. There are the halfway house of the sega 'versus city' cabs but most arcades would just chain together 2 candy cabs each with 1p panels for fighters ...so no reason you couldn't do the same even for 3 or 4 as long as video was strong enough... although assume you'd probably just use 2p panel x 2 cabs for brawlers?

Just connect wires for the controls (just using long wires for the 'remote' cab(s). And then try just splitting the video? You might need a powered splitter if it comes through too weak particularly if chaining more than 2.
Split/daisy chain the credit, or freeplay. Presume some of these game boards might have had expanded credit options too, but no idea on specifics.

I'm sure people used to even offer 'versus' jamma looms if you don't like wiring, but after a quick google perhaps they kind of died out as an offering, or I imagined it :)

If you wanted to do it super tidy, especially if machines are not exactly next to each other, you could perhaps even connect the wires to a connector/cable solution and run the required lines down a (couple of) multi-line cable(s).
(such as vga; offers 15 lines/pins == 4 pins for video R,G,B,S and then common ground, U, D, L, R, Start, coin, A, B, C, D) ... Or however you'd rather part it out into a handful of cables, rather than dealing with a rats nest bundle of wires.

Good luck!
zipper
eBay: bazpatts
Initials: BAZ

Post by zipper »

This looked like a cool 4p Konami cab. Not seen one real. Doesn't look like candy either.
MrJBRPG
exA-Arcadia Super Fan
eBay: Johnshibrpg
Initials: JPM

Post by MrJBRPG »

zipper wrote: April 4th, 2019, 1:55 pm This looked like a cool 4p Konami cab. Not seen one real. Doesn't look like candy either.
How did you find this 4 player 3 button and stick generic cabinet with a rounded edge? That looks like an unusual specimen for generic 4 player cabinets produced by Konami.
wigsplitta
Savile's alibi

Post by wigsplitta »

It'd be interesting to know where that pic is from, and what was in the cab :think:
SailorLodestar wrote: March 30th, 2019, 8:41 pm Anyone know of a guide out there for linking cabs?
This thread has some info about linking up cabs:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6526

I don't know of anyone is making the versus cables at the moment, but they show up on Yahoo from time to time like the CPS2 cable below.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n337100981

My own setup consists of three versus cables that allows 4 cabs to be linked. Pic looks good on all cabs with no need for an amp.
Cabs 1&2 are usually left linked up for Street Fighter. I can then daisy chain the other cabs if I want to get some 3 or 4 player brawler action on the go. I made a couple of cables up for Konami boards - 8 foot in length that directly tap off the 3p/4p connections on the game board and terminate in 12pin AMP connectors in the 3rd and 4th cabinets control panels
I Got PAID...
ウィッグスプリッター - スーパーガレージゲームセンター。
zipper
eBay: bazpatts
Initials: BAZ

Post by zipper »

MrJBRPG wrote: April 4th, 2019, 2:03 pm
zipper wrote: April 4th, 2019, 1:55 pm This looked like a cool 4p Konami cab. Not seen one real. Doesn't look like candy either.
How did you find this 4 player 3 button and stick generic cabinet with a rounded edge? That looks like an unusual specimen for generic 4 player cabinets produced by Konami.
It's a picture from "Joystick Gamers!" magazine (November 2013).. from the index.. "KONAMI X-MEN custom cabinet. I wonder exact number of this cabinet has been produced"