Chewlix C (Chinese Vewlix Capcom)

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
endoe
Please Continue...
Re: Chewlix C (Chinese Vewlix Capcom)

Post by endoe »

No idea truly but see if messing with hdcp settings on the PS4 helps, probably not but worth a shot.Goodluck.
radiantsvgun
Please Continue...
eBay: Radiantsvgun
Initials: RIC

Post by radiantsvgun »

@OP, which LEDs did you use? I am having a problem getting leds that light evenly.
mRCaESaR
eBay: mr_caesar81
Initials: JTL

Post by mRCaESaR »

I just purchased a cheap white led reel from ebay and tapped into the 12v source of the power supply
mallowpie
Please Continue...
eBay: 0518

Post by mallowpie »

Hi guys, I posted this on another forum (CGCC), and I figure it'd be best to just copy/paste what I wrote there and put it here as well. Thanks! It isn't a post about modding, but about logistics with getting a Chewlix from China to Vancouver, BC Canada. I figure it might help someone, or if not it's just a good read for someone about my experience with getting one shipped :).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone,

It’s been a while since I last posted, just been really busy, so haven’t had the opportunity to write out all of the details with the group buy…but I was able to go through the process without too many issues. Apologies for the late update (for those who care haha).
Since I started looking into the Chewlix, I sent a bunch of feelers out (Craigslist, Facebook, Kijiji, etc) to see if there were anyone who was interested in doing a group buy with me for these things. I had a lot of folks waffle on me, but in the end, surprisingly I was able to find 5 other people who wanted in on the group buy. The premise was simple. I do the logistics, you just put your faith in me and pay me for it. To be honest I was actually kind of surprised how easily people trusted me with their money. I requested a $300 deposit from everyone before I made the order from Alibaba, and people either EMT’d me the money or dropped by to pay me in cash. The remainder of the money was to be delivered after they picked up the unit.

As previously mentioned, the supplier charged me 2% of the total value to use Alibaba’s Trade Assurance. Basically, it allowed me the option of holding the money from them until I received the unit. I knew that I had to do it because it wasn’t just ‘my money’ that I was making the purchase from, but in hindsight, I don’t think it made any difference. The moment the cargo landed in Vancouver, I had 7 days to pay the logistics, customs, pick up, and inspect. I tried to act as quickly as possible, but with 6 units and 6 different owners, there was no way everyone could have inspected their units and made comments before the 7 days were up. Before I knew it, the money was paid out, and I still had stranger’s cargo boxes sitting my garage. I could have offered to inspect it for them, but I didn’t want to take on the liability of opening up their units, etc.

The timeline from initial payment to delivery went like this:

- November 9, 2018: first initial payment to Alibaba’s Trade Assurance. I originally paid using my credit card, because I have a no exchange rate CC, and its rate was better than CAD:USD exchange rate from the bank.
- November 26, 2018: Received photos of the finished product, sent them to the other people in the group buy, and told them if I didn’t hear back from them, I just assumed they would be ok with it lol.
- November 27, 2018: Paid the remainder of the fees. However, THIS TIME, I realized that Alibaba has their own wire transfer with their CITI bank, at a rate even cheaper than if I were to have used Visa’s exchange rates…so that’s what I did. Went to the bank and wire transferred to the escrow to hold until the end. The bank teller had to triple check the procedure because she was so worried that we were going to screw it up and I was going to lose $4k lol.
- December 2, 2018: Supplier shipped cargo out to port. I received the Bill of Lading (BOL) on December 8th, and was told that they were on the ship December 13.
- January 7, 2019: Cargo lands in Vancouver, was delivered to the warehouse on January 11, 2019. I had to pay the following fees to the logistics company. I don't even know what these fees are, except they pretty much held my cargo hostage until I paid them:
o Handling
o Terminal
o Security Fees
o DDC
o CFS Charge
o Unstuffing Fee (WTF?)
- January 16, 2019: Went to clear customs in Vancouver. Their office is NOT 24/7, unfortunately, …had to take time off work to pay. The process was actually very easy. Not sure if the customs officer was nice, didn’t notice, or I didn’t know…but I only paid PST/GST on the price of the units, not shipping, logistics, etc. as indicated in the invoice. I was told previously that I had to pay tax on everything. I didn’t invoice it a company or whatever, and it was a private sale so I had to pay both GST/PST. I had no idea what tax implications it would have had if I didn’t do a private sale, and since my wife runs her own business, I didn’t want to risk anything. I certainly didn’t want to put it under HER business neither.
- January 18, 2019: Last but not least, finally was able to go pick up the arcades. Originally I had thought that the cargo would be put in a bonded warehouse, so only permitted shipping companies could deliver. However, this was a CFS warehouse, which meant that as long as you had your customs papers, anyone (with prior notice) could go and pick your cargo up. I was fortunate in that one of the group buy folks had a box truck, so he was able to go pick them up and deliver it to my place. I also had to miss a morning's worth of work too since the warehouse hours were abysmal. Oh, there was also a warehouse fee. However, after a couple months the units were finally here.

All in all, it was a pretty fun endeavor. However, would I do it again? No. lol. Everything went pretty smoothly but I can imagine when something goes bad it’s just a headache to coordinate with multiple people. I was lucky to have found pretty laid back people to buy these units with, but if they were uptight I’d imagine it would have been annoying to have to deal with all sides. Plus, there was a lot of back and forth emails, phone calls, etc. just to make sure everything would go smoothly. Lastly, as I said previously, I MADE NO MONEY FROM THIS. We split the bill evenly. I had all receipts on a google drive for everyone to view and laid everything out for everyone. I don't think anyone actually looked to see if I was bagging them...but at least I knew I wasn't. If anything...at least now I know how a procedure like this works, and I don't regret doing it. I just wouldn't do it again haha.

To be honest, I’ve been so busy with work after I picked up the arcades that I haven’t had much time to play with them. I do have long term aspirations to convert it from running Pandora’s Box to running a small form PC…but that will be much later down the line. Unfortunately, I’m just not savvy enough to do so without someone else’s aid, so that will have to come later. Also, with a boy on the way, there's no way I'll have time to play anyways haha.

To respect the other buyers, I haven’t put down how much we paid per unit. However, if someone really wanted to find out they could PM me and I can let them know how much I paid for a specific thing.

I regret not taking more photos throughout the procedure. However, I didn't want to take photos of others without their permission, so I didn't take any during the move, or having others pick up, etc.

If there are any questions let me know. If not, thanks for reading!
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

mallowpie wrote: February 12th, 2019, 2:18 am
..... snip
Mad props to you for organising this group buy.

I can only imagine what type of a headache it must've been since you did everything end to end - I was fortunate enough to just hand over my $$ and someone else dealt with the logistics (yes, I probably paid a little more than I would have if I did it myself, but I'll save myself the drama :D)

If you ever need some help changing your systems around, hit me up, or hit this thread up and I'm more than happy to help as much as I can.
sabreAZ
Please Continue...
eBay: sabre_srk
Initials: SOB

Post by sabreAZ »

Kudos to you. I dont think I have the patience for that. Grey scheme looks cool!
laminus6
Please Continue...
eBay: laminus66

Post by laminus6 »

:cry: bro I have no idea how to light up the light of the cabinet I have just the wire cut down and no idia how to make it work
Rollingthunder84
eBay: Morocco_london_imports
Initials: JAM

Post by Rollingthunder84 »

Evening all,

Hoping to get some help/asvice for my chewlix :)

UK here - Got one of the ones modded some time back by neo legend (before they started doing their vision) its a great little machine. I’ve done a few bits to it to get it working with consoles (Brooks)

One small issue I have with my setup as it is now is cables - I’m using a ps3/4 and a pc - the image runs from the consoles/pc to the monitors DVI input and the sound into a small (bad) amplifier - to get that working I currently need to run the sound out the optical on the consoles and then use an optical to stereo audio converter - all a bit of a mess, especially when I just want to switch consoles or use the pc.

Amazingly though there is no issue with the setup now, other than the inconvenience, no lag, no sound sync issues - street fighter and taiko no tatsujin can attest to that :)

I could leave it as it is but I’d like to know if anyone has any alternative solutions to having to switch out the sound and video cables all the time, I was thinking an AV receiver might be the way to go - something like a pioneer vsx531 - anyone got any thought on this? Advice appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Cheers,
J
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

laminus6 wrote: March 8th, 2019, 2:05 pm :cry: bro I have no idea how to light up the light of the cabinet I have just the wire cut down and no idia how to make it work
You need to tap into the 12v source (assuming your lighting is 12v) from the power supply and run a wire (I'd use 18-20 awg) from the + component of the LED strip light into the 12v source of the PSU.

You also need to connect a - on the LED to a GND section of the psu.

I did mine with proper connectors, but you can always just piggy back of existing ones - ie. the fans
Rollingthunder84 wrote: March 10th, 2019, 9:40 pm Evening all,

Hoping to get some help/asvice for my chewlix :)

UK here - Got one of the ones modded some time back by neo legend (before they started doing their vision) its a great little machine. I’ve done a few bits to it to get it working with consoles (Brooks)

One small issue I have with my setup as it is now is cables - I’m using a ps3/4 and a pc - the image runs from the consoles/pc to the monitors DVI input and the sound into a small (bad) amplifier - to get that working I currently need to run the sound out the optical on the consoles and then use an optical to stereo audio converter - all a bit of a mess, especially when I just want to switch consoles or use the pc.

Amazingly though there is no issue with the setup now, other than the inconvenience, no lag, no sound sync issues - street fighter and taiko no tatsujin can attest to that :)

I could leave it as it is but I’d like to know if anyone has any alternative solutions to having to switch out the sound and video cables all the time, I was thinking an AV receiver might be the way to go - something like a pioneer vsx531 - anyone got any thought on this? Advice appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Cheers,
J
Are you using an optical switcher to switch sound? If so, It's probably not any "neater" than your current setup, but a little more convenient as you're only switching the HDMI source

What I currently do is let HDMI do the audio component. When connected to a HDMI switcher, the audio is switched according to the hdmi source.

> HDMI Source (ps4, ps3, 360, pc) connected to
>> a HDMI switcher connected
>>> to a HDMI splitter. HDMI splitter has outputs to
>>>> (1) HDMI to DVI to monitor
>>>> (2) HDMI to second monitor (I use a dual cab setup)
>>>> (3) HDMI to 3.5 audio extractor, which is then connected to the amps

The only problem you may have is something that I posted up in an earlier post - https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic ... 80#p507385

I've gone through so many different HDMI switcher/splitter combos in the last few months to have less hardware and get the message on my ps4 that says "supported 1080p" as my current setup is currently being "forced 1080p". One cab is the DVI version and another is HDMI.

The DVI version is always very problematic. Instead of spending all the money on the splitters/switchers, I should've just bought the LG 1080P monitor and upgraded so I don't have any of these issues. Going that method, I'd only have to have those 4:2 matrix so i can output to two devices and extract the audio from the matrix (or the LG monitor itself as that has a 3.5mm out).

IMHO, rather than spending up on trying to find a switcher/splitter combo, just upgrade the monitor and make sure the monitor you get has a 3.5mm out so no matter what HDMI source you input, you're always going to have the correct audio.

Hopefully that makes sense (it did in my head :lol: :lol: )
Rollingthunder84

Thanks for the great response.

The monitor in there at the moment is actually (I believe) a native 1080p panel (the chewlix was modded by an eu company - Neolegend) and this is part of their old set up so I’m confused myself as to why it’s dvi only and no HDMI (Sharp is the brand but can’t see a mode number)

Maybe what your saying is best though. I like the look of the Qhd mod in one of the other threads in here - painless enough by the look of things.

One question on the Av receiver though - I was assuming it was able to transcode the hdmi signals into a singular hdmi/audio out (so I’d not use the optical out on consoles and just run all hdmi cables into the AVR and then sound out to the amp.

Regardless that might not be the best solution I’m wondering now if the principle is correct?

Greatly appreciate your help.

Cheers,
Jamil
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

Rollingthunder84 wrote: March 11th, 2019, 2:38 pm The monitor in there at the moment is actually (I believe) a native 1080p panel (the chewlix was modded by an eu company - Neolegend) and this is part of their old set up so I’m confused myself as to why it’s dvi only and no HDMI (Sharp is the brand but can’t see a mode number)
Yeah mine is definitely a native 1080p panel (dvi and vga).

The moment I remove my splitter and plug directly to the PS4, I have no issue displaying 1080p natively on the ps4 settings.

With a splitter, I have to "force" it and it shows up in the settings as "unsupported 1080p", but on the other monitor it's fine - it's only on the ps4 and pc (on the pc, it's worse, it shows up as 1680x1050) - when I use a ps3, it's perfectly fine
Rollingthunder84 wrote: March 11th, 2019, 2:38 pm Maybe what your saying is best though. I like the look of the Qhd mod in one of the other threads in here - painless enough by the look of things.
I won't be going QHD anytime soon. I don't game in QHD, nor do I have anything in QHD.

I'll most likely be going the 31.5" 1080p LG monitor that was also recommended in the thread
Rollingthunder84 wrote: March 11th, 2019, 2:38 pm One question on the Av receiver though - I was assuming it was able to transcode the hdmi signals into a singular hdmi/audio out (so I’d not use the optical out on consoles and just run all hdmi cables into the AVR and then sound out to the amp.

Regardless that might not be the best solution I’m wondering now if the principle is correct?
If you run it through an AVR, then no problem - as the AVR is essentially a HDMI switcher + audio amp. I personally think it'd be overkill to run an AVR inside a chewlix/arcade cab. You can definitely get devices out there that act as an all in one..

Something like this VHD-PRO4X2 (unfortunately not available atm) "should" work as it has multiple outputs and multiple inputs with a line out for audio which you can plug into your existing amp.

Note I say "should" because I've got many products that are the same and refuses to work properly with the PS4 and I put all the blame on HDCP :)
Rollingthunder84

Awesome - some things to think over for sure.

Cheers,
J
Rollingthunder84

Posted a question in the tech talk forum of SRK and have been pointed to an interesting device (KVM switch) that seems to combine the following into one tool.

- HDMI switching sources
- Sound extraction to stereo / headphone jack from the selected HDMI source
- Separate channels to connect controls (USB in this case)

All my searching posts online regarding controls sound and video connections for Chewlix cabs and I've never seen one of these mentioned before.
Theory is that the sound, HDMI and USB from a PS3 go into one port and onto the AMP/Screen and then the brook - repeat the same for a PS4 on the second channel - Hit the switch and it all cahnges - viola !

In reality though who knows, PS4 handshake, Brook compatibility , I might just bite the bullet and try it regardless but has anyone used one before with any success?

Something like this - https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg9 ... gITn_D_BwE

As always appreciate any advice !

Cheers,
Jamil
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

I have a similar setup, it works fine, though sometimes I need to power cycle the selector to pick up the signal when I turn on a console.
Rollingthunder84

Ah - That’s pretty frikin awesome to hear - would you mind by any chance pointing me to the specific tool or brand of device you’ve been using - the hdmi splitter and sound out come to about 45 quid already with postage and I can return them so the KVM I linked to already isn’t that much less cost effective... of course open to suggestions/reccomendations from members if anyone has experience.

Cheers,
Jamil
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

****, mine doesn't do USB, just HDMI with a stereo splitter that I run into an amp.

I'll have to check which one I have, there are a ton on Amazon and to be honest mine is kind of annoying when it doesn't pick up a signal.

For usb, I run a long USB cable from the Brooks boards to the consoles and switch them manually.
Rollingthunder84

**** indeed :P

I’ve managed to get a standard HDMI switch (took 4 attempts) and hdmi splitter combo working for audio/video and like you I’m in the usb to consoles switching situation, it’s pretty great, simple enough and maybe I’m asking for too much, thing about what (I’m hoping) a KVM switch can do is replicate both functions - not sure if you can take a look at the link I sent but it seems like it will work in principle - in practise we shall see very soon.

I’ll be ordering one this weekend, should have time to test in the coming weeks and will update all with my results.

Cheers,
J
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

I also ordered some short USB extension cables that are only about a foot long and keep those permanent attached to the console so I don't wear out the USB sockets. It makes swapping controls a bit easier.
jhonny_d
eBay: rapace_mnb

Post by jhonny_d »

Can anyone give an estimate of the final price of a single unit delivered to my door from china including all the expenses?
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

jhonny_d wrote: April 27th, 2019, 9:28 am Can anyone give an estimate of the final price of a single unit delivered to my door from china including all the expenses?
Nobody will be able to do that. Not sure where you're located.

The comments in this thread will give you rough estimates but it all depends on shipping costs and whatever your local customs importing fees are..

The one thing that's pretty common is at the time of my purchase, the lowest I could get a cab was in the 550 to 600 USD mark.

Shipping will definitely vary from country to country