Re: Kraut Buster

Post by Nomax »

Received the game 2 days ago, here's my unboxing video for those interested:

LegoYoda
eBay: neomonster
Initials: AGD

Post by LegoYoda »

Mine turned up this morning.. attempting to nhot look at anything media wise before actually playing it!
Alec
----------------------------------------
Owning a Blast City: Fixing and Repairing -http://retrogamingstuff.wordpress.com/
Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Post by Jan »

looks like a Metal Slug and 80s commodore art design had a baby.
ain't got no realestateorjewelryoranyofthat
jimmerd
eBay: jimma-d
Initials: jmd

Post by jimmerd »

Looks like a good game, a big achievement overall given the complexity of the Neo Geo.
(edited - I will wait to play it in person before making any comments)
Last edited by jimmerd on February 8th, 2019, 9:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Please contact the local attendant"
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

I've only played about an hour so far but I'm really impressed. This has come a long way since that first preview. Clearly a real labour of love for NGDEVTEAM. Sprite work and animation are gorgeous. The framerate is insane. The game is huge and finely polished. It controls well (I'm still getting used to the slide, I'm doing it by accident when jumping and shooting downward). The fixed fire button works nicely in a Cave button layout. Naturally it feels a lot like Metal Slug, particularly C mode. I need to read up on what all the masks do in T mode but they have managed to create an homage but with some fun new ideas. It's rather witty too. It appears ze Germans do have a sense of humour after all! :awe:

There are occasional sprite layering issues but you can fiddle with the settings to improve this as detailed here. The settings menu is insane, any option you can dream of. Want violence and nudity but no animals to be harmed in the process? Yep, there's an option for that.

Other observations, a lot of enemies are pure cannon fodder and then you run into one that kills you so quick you don't know what happened, but that can be learnt. Maybe the weapons could be rebalanced (the homing rockets are weaksauce), maybe the difficulty curve could be tweaked in general. Minor gripes so far.

I think I have found a bug though. If I pre-set my name in the settings (as I said, there's an option for everything), the hardware reboots after the high score table. Can someone confirm and I'll let NG DEV know (if they don't already).

EDIT: I'm still finding the motherboard (MV-1FZ I think) does a double-reset sometimes after the high score table.

emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

I think it looks like a lot of fun. The content seem deep and generous and the animations look very smooth. The enemy placement could be better planned out IMHO, especially so many paratroopers, as they just hang in their chutes like that after being killed. It could look classier with increased variety, again, in my opinion.
system11

Post by system11 »

SuperPang wrote: February 8th, 2019, 6:53 pm I think I have found a bug though. If I pre-set my name in the settings (as I said, there's an option for everything), the hardware reboots after the high score table. Can someone confirm and I'll let NG DEV know (if they don't already).

EDIT: I'm still finding the motherboard (MV-1FZ I think) does a double-reset sometimes after the high score table.

Known bug - they sent me a patch this morning, I'll try to get it tested this weekend.
Random blog of stuff:
http://blog.system11.org
LegoYoda

Post by LegoYoda »

SuperPang wrote: February 8th, 2019, 6:53 pm I think I have found a bug though. If I pre-set my name in the settings (as I said, there's an option for everything), the hardware reboots after the high score table. Can someone confirm and I'll let NG DEV know (if they don't already).

I've been playing quite a bit over the weekend and have run in to these two exact bugs in the same way. If the name is set in settings I get a reset after the score table (and, im my case it then blanks out the preset name) and I have had the MV1-FZ do a double reset after the high score table numerous times (always fine the 3rd time and only delays you for, what, 7 seconds?) but it's there... POSSIBLE trigger is putting a space in the name at high score entry (i.e. when been playing 2 player as the score is combined)

Outside that I've only noticed VERY minor layering issues (as noted this is a "feature" you can adjust to your preference based on framerate). REALLY enjoying the game though. Fun, Funny and full of character (bursting with it, weaponised chicks (as in chickens) wearing Rambo Bandannas firing bullets? yep, that's in there)

Played C mode once so far and it's much faster, no chicks, no masks, stripped down. Prefer the T-Mode as it feels mopre as sthat's the original design and it shows. The level of annimation detail (in the incidentals) is great BTW.. I am rather looking forward to after work so I can get a bit more time in (kids have played it more than me so far)

BTW, anyone know how these games get updates? i know they DO but I can't find instructions for any previous game and this is my first "firtst release" NGDEv Game (got Fast Striker on reprint so already patched)
Alec
Owning a Blast City: Fixing and Repairing -http://retrogamingstuff.wordpress.com/
OlDirty

Post by OlDirty »

Attract mode on my Egret 3

SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

So far feedback is overwhelmingly positive from people who actually played Kraut Buster. This is a first time for us, we are very happy about that.
It's also nice to see that more and more people realize that Kraut Buster offers it's own thing and is not just a mixture of Contra and MS.

As Kraut Buster's development costs exceeded the sales, we need to open pre orders for more AES units and a 2nd print MVS version.
To cover our costs we need to sell AES+MVS combined ~100 more units.

v1.01

- fix: on uni-bios systems: error message/memory viewer after gameover/playthrough of missions > 1 / on stock bios fixes reset
- timer symbol ":" blinks if timer is above 9:59
- reduced hit points of some bigger enemies to reduce coin eating "grindiness" especially in the final rooms of the game
- weapon "Schrotflinte" is over powered in c-mode. Reduced it's splits by 2 units.
- demo attract mode sound fix
- small fixes
- added secret mask "Schwein" for a "Sch¸tze Arsch" ¸ber challenge mode
- increased i-frames from 120 to 180 frames
https://www.ngdevdirect.com

zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

Guess I'll be getting a second print :thumbup:
Jamie
eBay: jspittle_99
Initials: JAY

Post by Jamie »

Missed out last time so glad they're doing more, ordered a Japanese AES copy.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

I've just realised weapon switching isn't working properly for me. ie. If I walk over a weapon I start using it, whereas NG DEV say:
[Gameplay Menu]

- Auto Weapon Switch Pickup [on]

Automatically tries to select a slot for the new weapon. E.g. if you have an empty slot the new weapon always is put there.
If you pick up the same weapon it sums up ammo instead of putting it in a new slot.
Turning this option on or off seems to make no difference.
LegoYoda

Post by LegoYoda »

1.00 or 1.01? I've noticeed with my game it's impossible to get the first coin on the first level with the female character.... the two guys, fine... Bug or feature? I'll check the weapon switch later on my copy.
Alec
LegoYoda

Post by LegoYoda »

SuperPang wrote: February 22nd, 2019, 5:03 pm I've just realised weapon switching isn't working properly for me. ie. If I walk over a weapon I start using it, whereas NG DEV say:
[Gameplay Menu]

- Auto Weapon Switch Pickup [on]

Automatically tries to select a slot for the new weapon. E.g. if you have an empty slot the new weapon always is put there.
If you pick up the same weapon it sums up ammo instead of putting it in a new slot.
Turning this option on or off seems to make no difference.
Confirming on my V1.01 that this option does nothing. checked in combination with tother options and ensured I saved... Doesn't work.
Alec
neogeomeister
eBay: neogeomeister

Post by neogeomeister »

Do you have contact NG DEV TEAM?
I can't also pick up the fist coin with the female.
There is a second coin in stage one same issue there.

Do you have damage the sticker if you open the case for V1.01 update?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

You open the cart just enough to slide out the PCB. It doesn't damage the label.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

LegoYoda wrote: February 26th, 2019, 5:41 pm Confirming on my V1.01 that this option does nothing. checked in combination with tother options and ensured I saved... Doesn't work.
I've had another look and found "Auto Weapon Switch Pickup [on]" pushes the weapon in use into a spare slot. Turning it off will effectively lose the weapon in use. I was hoping there was an option to put pickups into a spare slot, which is what NGDEVs description suggested. "if you have an empty slot the new weapon always is put there."
MissNaomiAstro
Please Continue...
eBay: N/A

Post by MissNaomiAstro »

Its really cool just to see that this exists. Sadly I have no way of playing since I am too busy to be able to afford the necessary hardware, but this game is awesome just for existing and looks fun. I hope I find a way to play it at some point.
zazi77

Post by zazi77 »

What i don't like of this game is that when you crouch you cannot jump. It looks like a small detail but it really worsen gameplay in my opinion