Help Desuiciding cps2 board please help!!

PCB problems and fixes
Mazinkaiser
Please Continue...

Help Desuiciding cps2 board please help!!

Post by Mazinkaiser »

Hi guys i have street fighter alpha 3 revision 93646B-3 board the information on how to wire this up with the arduino is confusing on the blog post from eduardo when it comes to running power to the board couls someone clarify i read a method on doing it while its hooked up to the super gun how would this be achieved? Also the instructions say to use 11 and 12 from arduino to cn2 connector but my arduino has rows 0 to 7 where 11 and 12 is on other arduinos ive seen how is this supposed to hookup refer to the pictures attached all help is greatly appreciated thank you :D
Mazinkaiser
Please Continue...

Re: Help Desuiciding cps2 board please help!!

Post by Mazinkaiser »

20190127_134039.jpg
20190127_134055.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mazinkaiser
Please Continue...

Post by Mazinkaiser »

As you can see i have wired cables from pins 1 to 7 of the arduino which on the blogspot intructions it shows that arduino has 11 and 12 in that group my arduino has them more to the right so i soldered independent cables for those two and also for the gnd is this what im supposed to use or does the gnd have to come from another spot?
Mazinkaiser
Please Continue...

Post by Mazinkaiser »

A couple of other details i heard a resistor mentioned on another post my board does not have it is it required?
I have 5v running from the molex connector to a25 but on the instructions it says to connect a23 and b23 as the ground which one is it? Also just to confirm is a25 the top row of pins if im looking at the board with the components chips and battery side up let me know thanks
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

Sir, you can edit the arduino sketch to match your board if it's not exactly the same thing as the one Eduardo uses on his project.

Firstly, after programming the sketch onto the arduino, connect your it to a power supply and check if the display and the function keys work properly for selecting a game and pretend you're programming keys. Once that works you look at the header pins.

Once that is working you just follow the instructions from Eduardo's site. The only difference is that I was telling the guy to grab GND and +5v from the CPS2 board instead of using an external power supply.
Mazinkaiser
Please Continue...

Post by Mazinkaiser »

Thanks for the quick response ok ill look at the sketch where should i be getting the gnd from the arduino? And what pins do i have to connect the gnd from the 5v power supply to a23 or b23 ?
leonardoliveira wrote: January 27th, 2019, 9:20 pm Sir, you can edit the arduino sketch to match your board if it's not exactly the same thing as the one Eduardo uses on his project.

Firstly, after programming the sketch onto the arduino, connect your it to a power supply and check if the display and the function keys work properly for selecting a game and pretend you're programming keys. Once that works you look at the header pins.

Once that is working you just follow the instructions from Eduardo's site. The only difference is that I was telling the guy to grab GND and +5v from the CPS2 board instead of using an external power supply.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

Or buy this: https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/ ... /&pageNo=1 only $10 - works great.
Mazinkaiser
Please Continue...

Post by Mazinkaiser »

I have another question before i give up on this board what am i supposed to select on the arduino for the code my game is a us streer fighter alpha 3 but the chips say sz3 on some and sz3u on other ones. Also another user mentioned they actually removed some of the chips on the board to improve the signal and that ended up working for them which chips would be the ones i remove let me know thank you
Mazinkaiser
Please Continue...

Post by Mazinkaiser »

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

if you have a eprom programmer, dump ROM03 and ID it using mame romident.

If you don't just try each of the SFZ3 keys, once you find the correct one the game will boot properly after key programming completes.

"SZ3" sticker hints for Japan version, though. Weird.
undamned
Please Continue...
eBay: undamned
Initials: UND

Post by undamned »

leonardoliveira wrote: January 29th, 2019, 2:45 pm "SZ3" sticker hints for Japan version, though. Weird.
First 3 characters of every region CPS2 label are based on the JP title. SZ3U is USA. Just like Armored Warriors starts with PWG for Powered Gear.
-ud
"Sin and death's got the whole world gettin' illa, but I praise God for the Blood Spilla."
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

undamned wrote: January 30th, 2019, 4:04 am
leonardoliveira wrote: January 29th, 2019, 2:45 pm "SZ3" sticker hints for Japan version, though. Weird.
First 3 characters of every region CPS2 label are based on the JP title. SZ3U is USA. Just like Armored Warriors starts with PWG for Powered Gear.
-ud
All ROMS that are different from the JPN one have to be marked SZ3U particularly the first two as they are encrypted with different key. I would understand something like this:
SZ3U 03
SZ3U 04
SZ3 05
SZ3U 06
SZ3U 07
SZ3U 08
SZ3U 09
SZ3U 10

But this:
SZ3 03
SZ3 04
SZ3 05
SZ3U 06
SZ3U 07
SZ3U 08
SZ3U 09
SZ3U 10

Implies the first three ROMs are for the Japan region. On SFZ3 the last eproms change because the text data has different offsets based on the size of the data and that varies on language basis. Text data starts at rom 06.
Hokuto
Initials: !__

Post by Hokuto »

leonardoliveira wrote: January 30th, 2019, 4:06 pm
-ud
But this:
SZ3 03
SZ3 04
SZ3 05
SZ3U 06
SZ3U 07
SZ3U 08
SZ3U 09
SZ3U 10

Implies the first three ROMs are for the Japan region.
Aren't the JP roms supposed to be labeled SZ3J though? I think this is just a case of Capcom employees half assing the labeling, yet again :lol:
No
undamned
Please Continue...
eBay: undamned
Initials: UND

Post by undamned »

leonardoliveira wrote: January 30th, 2019, 4:06 pm
-ud
All ROMS that are different from the JPN one have to be marked SZ3U particularly the first two as they are encrypted with different key. I would understand something like this:
SZ3U 03
SZ3U 04
SZ3 05
SZ3U 06
SZ3U 07
SZ3U 08
SZ3U 09
SZ3U 10

But this:
SZ3 03
SZ3 04
SZ3 05
SZ3U 06
SZ3U 07
SZ3U 08
SZ3U 09
SZ3U 10

Implies the first three ROMs are for the Japan region. On SFZ3 the last eproms change because the text data has different offsets based on the size of the data and that varies on language basis. Text data starts at rom 06.
Oh, I see what you are saying. Yeah, that would make the most sense, but I'm not convinced Capcom was entirely consistent with such a scheme. I have a Street Fighter Alpha with EPROM 02 (sound program) "SFZU." Why would they need to clarify "U" on the sound program?
-ud
"Sin and death's got the whole world gettin' illa, but I praise God for the Blood Spilla."