Cabs in Sheds/Garages

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Soundwave

Cabs in Sheds/Garages

Post by Soundwave »

Hi All,

Quick question which has probably been covered before but for those of you who keep their cabs in their shed/garage what do you do about the freezing weather?

Do you do anything to protect them at all?
Does the cold affect them?

Only asking as the new house has a brick out building which is getting electric in a few weeks & I finally might be able to build it into a gaming den so a cab is on the cards but obviously in weather like we have now it's freezing in there & if a cab is likely to get ruined by standing in the cold then I'll just not bother & do something else with it

Thanks in advance

Neil
Jughead
Please Continue...

Re: Cabs in Sheds/Garages

Post by Jughead »

I would have though it’s the moisture that you have to avoid not the temperature, maybe a dehumidifier in there and you will be fine.

Someone more knowledgeable than me will give you the correct answer.
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

Ideally not damp. If you can convert and insulate before installing the cab(s). If you've putting a space heater in there let the cabs acclimatise for an hour or so before powering on in cold conditions.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Jughead is right, your biggest problem would be moisture , I have no experience with cabs in out buildings but can testify that anything metal will start to rust.

I use a desiccant dehumidifier for my garage as I noticed my tool kit was starting to get affected with moisture.
matt5cott
eBay: matt5cott
Initials: MAT

Post by matt5cott »

I've a heater in mine and try and keep it at around 14c minimum (ie it kicks in if it drops below) I read somewhere that the temperature itself isn't that much of an issue to a degree, it's the wild variances in temperature leading to condensation etc that really is.
ImageImageImage
Soundwave

Post by Soundwave »

Thanks for all the advise guys.

Once I can get it all sorted, I'll see what options I have to try & add some insulation to the walls etc. & then go from there & decide on the best plan of attack.
It will probably end up being a pipe dream but I'd love to try & finally get a cab

Neil
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Post by Pete »

My father in law was down this week and we started on the insulation of my shed just add some warmth & stop the roof from leaking we will be doing the sides later on in the year.
DSC_0882.JPG
DSC_0884.JPG
DSC_0886.JPG
It gave him the chance to try out his new multi-tool with saw too & has made a massive difference to heat retention.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mx5dob
eBay: mrpauldobson
Initials: dob

Post by mx5dob »

I keep my cabs, boards and consoles in an unheated garage but I run a Desiccant Dehumidifier constantly to keep the humidity below 55%. I don't play much in the winter. I just go in as more of a caretaker til the weather warms up.