PC Gone Mad!

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
skykappah
One of dese bad boys
eBay: Skykappa

PC Gone Mad!

Post by skykappah »

Look if you want to wear a skirt, then go for it but I mean PC gaming... :P

Waiting for Cyberpunk 2077. Wanna play it at optimal bells & whistles so I'll be going for the PC version.
So I priced up on Overclockers a same spec PC that CD Projekt used for shows... 3k..... Ouch... But since it's one of those games that keeps on getting delays, hopefully will be 1k cheaper by then.
Loving robots since the 80's.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Re: PC Gone Mad!

Post by geotrig »

pc gaming has never appealed to me in the slightest , it just always seemed like too much hassle and faffing while still wondering if it specc'd enough to run the latest and greatest games and its too bloody expensive ! :lol: my brother loves his pc though :problem:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
phillv85
Please Continue...
Initials: PAV

Post by phillv85 »

That PC is cheaper than a SDOJ PCB still :problem:
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

I'd rather have one SDOJ PCB than a super fancy PC full of games.

Posted from my iMac. :fastlove:
skykappah
One of dese bad boys

Post by skykappah »

geotrig wrote: January 8th, 2019, 2:37 pm pc gaming has never appealed to me in the slightest , it just always seemed like too much hassle and faffing while still wondering if it specc'd enough to run the latest and greatest games and its too bloody expensive ! :lol: my brother loves his pc though :problem:
It is a lot of faffing, but it's the same mentality car enthusiast have, I guess. Yeah it is very expensive which is why I wait for a satifactory jump in tech.
My last 2 PCs, I built myself for Far Cry 1 and decided to go all in... that was 2004! And then another custom build in 2008 or 9? I think it's time for another as the graphics look awesome these days.

Thinking about it.... I bet building a 3k PC won't cost me half as much as getting the new iphone every year. Which I don't... First was Iphone 4 to 7 and I'm pretty much satisfied to stay on 7 until maybe 12 comes out. I don't drink either... allergic.... Got kids though... That's where most of the money goes....
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

They segmented the PC enthusiast market a few years back.

High end is dubbed, HEDT, high end desk-top. It’s a massive premium for an incremental increase in performance. If you want the very best and don’t mind paying for it, it’s there and it’s shiny.

There are options for every budget though and you can build a very capable PC for not a lot of money.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Last PC I built for myself (inc monitor and input devices) worked out around 5K, in 2004 IIRC. Doing the "equivalent" nowadays I can imagine hitting 1.5-2K as all the quiet, watercooling, multicore and fast storage gear has become mainstream. Was still living with my parents at the time, I'd never justify it to myself again.
CTN
eBay: ctn2005
Initials: CTN

Post by CTN »

What is the point of a high end rig when 99% of all games are optimised for PS4?

For me those limited gains are not justifiable.
Alex
eBay: jandrogo

Post by Alex »

I would buy an Xbox One X and save the cash for any other stuff... as CTN said, game is probably getting optimization in console versions.
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

Still using my 10+ year-old LGA1366 PC which is excellent at 2550 x 1600 with a GTX 970 and 6-core Xeon I bought over a year ago (£200 of upgrades then)

Couldn’t tell you exact framerates off the top of my head but it’s 60+ average for Titanfall 2, Doom, Overwatch and Destiny 2.
trev1976

Post by trev1976 »

Yeah mines similar

I5 3570k @ 4.4ghz
GTX970
16GB DDR3 Ram

Built it ages ago now and its played everything ive thrown at it ,just played the new resident evil 2 demo at pretty high settings with 1080p and it was very smooth.

I don't think I'll up grade again and if I do it would only be a GTX980TI
Check out my "1cc" YouTube Channel
YouTube
skykappah
One of dese bad boys

Post by skykappah »

Alex wrote: January 11th, 2019, 9:54 pm I would buy an Xbox One X and save the cash for any other stuff... as CTN said, game is probably getting optimization in console versions.

Well I’m gonna be waiting anyway as it’s not got an official release date yet... If PS5 gets released next year then I’ll wait for that. By that time, the PC spec I want would have fallen by more than half. Checked the spec on eBay and used almost identical builds are going for half the price of buying it new.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Consoles / pcs... It's literally getting to be much the same thing under the hood.

You want a keyboard and mouse, and anything else the pc might do for you; cool go for it. Because it's there that there is value. And you've got to be totally comfortable with choosing at which point you'll buy in, and be happy with that, or totally cool with spending cash whenever you want and tinkering (even if the first is an option, the second sometimes isn't - it's easy like lego these days, but you've got to be comfortable/happy putting it together).

If you're not into the above then just stick to console - you can't beat it for value. And somewhat disappointingly I'm not totally sure the 2077 pc version is going to be offering too much more than console...

Dismissing the cg teaser (which was so much more moody than the game), those early 2077 screens looked awesome, the trailer was nice (but you could see some disparities in how those screens weren't necessarily going to hold up), and then that gameplay reveal was not great for me... A lot of the ideas are ok, but a lot of the 'action' and a lot of the execution looked super lethargic, floaty and sterile. The performance, grit and intensity just seems totally lacking. PG. Absolutely no menace. Flat. And despite the rpg elements I could do without the bullet spongy number spawning ****... To top it all off I've got a wierd feeling it's gonna go down a bit like the first Rage did; more promise than delivery... or the first gears of war when I thought it was going to be super horror-nastiness and it turned into dude-bro... and I know most of this downer tone is precisely because I got so blade-runner-syndicate-ghost-in-the-shell-system-shock 2077 amped to begin with.