Post by rodwod »

True that can be a problem.
Spectrexcwk
Please Continue...
eBay: Spectrexcwk
Initials: Nwb

Re: PCB Wrapping 101

Post by Spectrexcwk »

These boards have been in commercial use for 30+ years. Im surprised there isn't more consensus about storage.

Also, I really wish every manufacturer went the cps2 case route. Maybe this is paranoia, but I'm afraid of breaking something every time I interact with a pcb :/
Braintrash
Please Continue...
eBay: yuu_madrigal

Post by Braintrash »

My CPS2 board broke my JAMMA connector. Nothing serious, just a plastic comestic side, but still. Bad, CPS2, bad.
Hieroneus

Post by Hieroneus »

Where can i get bubble wrap for my pcbs, here in europe?

Thanks!!!
Yamazaki
eBay: nippon-net_de

Post by Yamazaki »

Another interesting question :)

what kind of shelf is best suited for keeping pcbs?

my Billy shelfs from Ikea got the issue that the depth is only 28cm - meaning pcbs like Gunforce 2 or Lightbringer don't fit in there.

what other shelf-solutions are best for our arcade games?

IKEA offered shelfs would be the best since they are easily available and cheap.

PS: was thinking about this https://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/70245848/
suicider
Please Continue...
eBay: suicidekiller

Post by suicider »

Yamazaki wrote: December 30th, 2018, 6:25 pm IKEA offered shelfs would be the best since they are easily available and cheap.

PS: was thinking about this https://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/70245848/
That's what I use. No complaints so far, see here:

Yamazaki
eBay: nippon-net_de

Post by Yamazaki »

which one do you exactly use with which measures?
suicider
Please Continue...
eBay: suicidekiller

Post by suicider »

keropi
Please Continue...
eBay: sainshov

Post by keropi »

this is how I pack my pcbs and other "valuable" electronics for almost 2 decades now:

- antistatic foam on solder side so the hole-thru components don't pierce the packaging
- board inside antistatic foam bag
- everything inside a classic antistatic bag with any docs and a small 5g silica pouch

I plan now to move to boxes like this, either pre-made or I will add the antistatic material in plain boxes , I just haven't found the right size yet...

I don't know yet about a good solution for boards like CPS-1~2/F3/etc , atm I just shelf them in some antistatic bag with a silica pouch.
Buttonbasher
Please Continue...
eBay: Arcadejammaman
Initials: SPN

Post by Buttonbasher »

I'm sure there's numerous people on here how know their electronics but be careful assuming pink bubble wrap is best. The use of pink-poly bags, film, bubble-wrap or foam near any ESDS item or within an ESD protected area is prohibited. Pink-poly provides little protection against ESD events and voltage fields and is a contamination source. It's recommended to place PCBA ( Printed Circuit Board Assemblies) in silver foil bags, forget the correct terminology, then if you wish for protection use pink bubble wrap. Like I say I'm not arguing with individuals choice of storage just don't want anyone's expensive holy grail board potentially open to damage.
ChuChuFlamingo

Post by ChuChuFlamingo »

Pretty much what you said.

Everyone assumes static dissipative is the same as anti-static. With enough static electricity pink bubblewrap won't really protect it as it will go right through it. If you must wrap your boards in pink bubble wrap make sure it is anti static + wrap a few layers around the board. That way it has to go through the bubble wrap+air.

The boxes lined with anti static foam + a conductive outside box is the best way to store sensitive pcbs imo. Metallic bags are good too but I hate sliding boards into them.

The ESD Dissapative boxes I use are from protektive pak. I use the 16 in x 12 1/4 in x 3 1/2 in size , 37073 is the number for it. Fits most boards perfectly with pcb feet. For CPS1 boards I did cut a little of the top foam off so it fits better. Won't fit big boards though.
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

Agreed on corstat boxes, but is it a good idea to leave the pcb feet on when storing them?
DaytimeDreamer
eBay: chaos-disturber

Post by DaytimeDreamer »

I was thinking measuring my boards and buying some of these depending on PCB width and depth

https://www.teknis.co.uk/product/teksta ... nsit-packs
ChuChuFlamingo

Post by ChuChuFlamingo »

I store them vertically as well. All my boards have the maximum amount of pcb feet too, even in the middle of the boards. Most people seem to only put them in the corners. Honestly I think you do more flexing taking off each pcb feet and putting them on over time (unless you have one of those holders in your cabinet that you just slip on). I opted for 3 1/2 inches depth since 2 1/2 would be extremely tight.

The boxes are a super nice fit for single boards. Not too tight or loose so it sits at an angle/move around when vertical. The PCB Feet help with that.

for CPS1 cut off a few of the foams where the B/C board is to make it fit nice. The foam sinks in quite a bit so I wouldn't really worry about warping. I wouldn't ship them though like this.

Best solution though would be to have a cabinet for each board :D

zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

DaytimeDreamer wrote: December 31st, 2018, 3:25 am I was thinking measuring my boards and buying some of these depending on PCB width and depth

For single layer PCB

BCC64394318F

For double layer PCB

BCC96394318F

Sorted ;)

I get all mine from Teknis too.
mx5dob
eBay: mrpauldobson
Initials: dob

Post by mx5dob »

zak wrote: December 31st, 2018, 11:35 am
DaytimeDreamer wrote: December 31st, 2018, 3:25 am I was thinking measuring my boards and buying some of these depending on PCB width and depth

For single layer PCB

BCC64394318F

For double layer PCB

BCC96394318F

Sorted ;)

I get all mine from Teknis too.
Awesome thread! ill be making a purchase soon. Far better than my current method of using old Amazon boxes.
FcoBenitez
Please Continue...
eBay: virtuacl
Initials: KBL

Post by FcoBenitez »

Thought you guys might appreciate this IG post

2X Sega Aero City
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

markedkiller78 wrote: May 31st, 2018, 11:48 am
limpan wrote:
markedkiller78 wrote:Do we have a link to the tape on amazon.jp?
Linked to it earlier in the thread.
Thanks Limpan, I missed the tape :oops: got an order in for 5, with amazon.jp as the seller:
That tape is awesome. Super adhesive but somehow doesn't stick to/rip bubblewrap when you peel it off. You can also leave it 'unstuck' for years and it still retains its tack.

I've never gushed so much about something sticky in my life :whoopsie:
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

Want :oops:
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

Hi ladies :awe:

Here's a "cool" story, when I first got into PCBs, I used to store them rammed vertically into plastic containers, as many as could physically fit +1. No bubble wrap or anything. All rubbing against each other and that, like a sexy pcb six-decker sandwich. I then took these oh-so-not-carefully-packed boxes and slung them up in the cold damp dirty dusty loft space. :fastlove:

And do you know what, not a single one of them ever missed a beat. But yeah, Japanese anti-static bubble wrap...

Wish I still had all those PCBs mind, most of them have appreciated in value significantly over the last 15 years (strider, final fight etc) and I now have 3 mouths to feed. :problem: