Is the Makvision chassis compatible with Blast City Nanao Tube?

For monitor related issues
Darklightjg1
Please Continue...
eBay: darklightjg3450
Initials: HIM

Is the Makvision chassis compatible with Blast City Nanao Tube?

Post by Darklightjg1 »

Hi,
I ordered a Blast City Cab about 2 months ago and while I was hoping (at least initially) that I would only have to worry about wiring a kick harness and cleaning up the buttons to start playing, unfortunately it arrived with no video display instead (game sounds and button responses still worked). I had someone look at it first who couldn't fix it, then talked to the merchant and had the chassis sent to the repair company he usually sends them to.

When it came back, the video was displaying again, but with really bad color balance. As I was attempting to figure out how to correct the colors, I stepped away for a few minutes to type a question and came back to no display... it only lasted for about 2-3 hours. I have not been able to get it to display anymore. All I can tell from the various sources I've looked at for the past 2 months is there's no neck glow anymore and no static anymore when I move my hand on the screen. This video seemed to be the closest to the problems I am having, but the part with the flyback arching and fuse blowing out are out of my wheelhouse:

tl;dr - I'm new to all this and no electrician, so I don't think it's within my own ability to fix this current board (don't want to risk it untrained with no one to check up on me). I figured I'd try my hand with a different chassis board. The Nanao MS2931 (both chassis board and monitor) seems to be very hard to come by, so that's where my question comes into play: Would I be able to keep the Nanao tube in the cabinet while using something like a Makvision chassis? They seem more commonly available, but I'm not even sure if everything on the tube would hook up to the board. Has anyone tried this? The chassis is $300 plus whatever shipping, so I want to gather as much info as I can about this first.
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Is the Makvision chassis compatible with Blast City Nanao Tube?

Post by grantspain »

makvision are rebadged rodotron or weiya, you will need the correct version chassis- the version that fits on ms2931 is rodotron 666b1-29 or weiya 3129b. The makvision will have the same version numbers are either rodotron or weiya
Darklightjg1
Please Continue...

Post by Darklightjg1 »

Thanks for that piece of info. The site didn't list the version/model of the chassis though, so I'm not sure if it would be the right one :( . I did post a question on the product page asking which model.

-If it comes to this, are there any monitors/tubes besides nanao that are commonly placed inside of a Blast City that can also be covered with a bezel? I've been reading that it's a pain to get a compatible monitor/tube that fits nicely for this cabinet. Like would a tube from an Astro City nanao monitor also fit in the Blast City?

I'm also weighing the option of contacting PNL (the company that originally tried to repair the current chassis I have) and see if it can be saved... I'm just not sure how reliable this option is since this is already the 2nd time it's been repaired (apparently the merchant had it repaired before it was sold to me and I got pictures of it displaying before I bought it). I know they'll charge for it too because they didn't even honor the warranty after we went through the trouble of sending it through the merchant.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Darklightjg1 wrote: December 19th, 2018, 1:30 am-If it comes to this, are there any monitors/tubes besides nanao that are commonly placed inside of a Blast City that can also be covered with a bezel? I've been reading that it's a pain to get a compatible monitor/tube that fits nicely for this cabinet. Like would a tube from an Astro City nanao monitor also fit in the Blast City?
If you want your bezel fitting, there's only a few options I'm afraid. Japanese Net City monitor will work, Astro City monitor won't. A Sanwa 29E31S will fit as well (common in upright Naomis and Sega sitdown racing games), but that's 31khz only.

However, $300 should buy you an used MS-2930, 2931, 2933 chassis. Make a wanted ad for one. Remember to ask for the remote if someone offers you a 2930.
Darklightjg1
Please Continue...

Post by Darklightjg1 »

nem wrote: December 20th, 2018, 3:53 pm
Darklightjg1 wrote: December 19th, 2018, 1:30 am-If it comes to this, are there any monitors/tubes besides nanao that are commonly placed inside of a Blast City that can also be covered with a bezel? I've been reading that it's a pain to get a compatible monitor/tube that fits nicely for this cabinet. Like would a tube from an Astro City nanao monitor also fit in the Blast City?
If you want your bezel fitting, there's only a few options I'm afraid. Japanese Net City monitor will work, Astro City monitor won't. A Sanwa 29E31S will fit as well (common in upright Naomis and Sega sitdown racing games), but that's 31khz only.

However, $300 should buy you an used MS-2930, 2931, 2933 chassis. Make a wanted ad for one. Remember to ask for the remote if someone offers you a 2930.
I'll look into that as well, thank you. However I was wondering if there are other things I can test on the current chassis I have here. I called PNL to see if they can help, he asked me to take out the chassis and look for any cracks in it. I don't see any. I also checked the fuses on there with a multimeter (I believe there are two) and they seem to be fine too. I'm not sure what else to check that would lead to the problem of the screen not displaying and there being no neck glow. I'm sitting here wondering: "What is even wrong with it?" Can anyone give advice regarding this (if there's a video or any type of visual aid that would be helpful too)?

The PNL guy is supposed to call back eventually. I asked if they can check and see if they had any other chassis boards of this model.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

the ms2931 is probably the most difficult chassis to repair, they shutdown on any fault making it very difficult to fault find. The most common issue is HOT shorting which also takes out the FET in the power supply but this can be caused by problems with flyback and hv regulation
either grab yourself another ms2931 chassis from that seller on ebay or install a weiya 3129b or rodotron 666b1-29

is the chassis now just clicking the relay btw or completely dead?
Darklightjg1
Please Continue...

Post by Darklightjg1 »

I'm not sure what clicking the relay is, but I do hear two clicks after I turn the machine on. I think I unplugged the power from it before and only heard one click, so I think something is still going on.

I tried to look up and test what I believe was the HOT and it read 0.376 on the mulitmeter on both ends. Looked at this vid for reference:

I think the FET is the similar looking transistor near the HOT on the MS2931 chassis, no? I don't know exactly how to test that and won't be able to try until I get home from work. If there's any good guide for that, I'll take a look at it. I'll also be searching as I have been.

As far as buying a replacement, I'll most likely have to see where I'm at after the holiday to determine if I can afford one this coming week or two weeks from now. By that time, I'll probably make a WTB thread to see if anyone here has one to sell as well. The chassis on the site I was looking at changed its availability date from 12/25/18 to 01/08/19 and I'm still not sure if it's even the right model number.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

HOT sounds fine
chassis is shutting down immediately which is the normal fault you get on these
Darklightjg1
Please Continue...

Post by Darklightjg1 »

So the click is the chassis shutting down as opposed to trying to turn on?
So things that it's probably not:
-The HOT
-The fuses

Yet to be determined (and I have to research how to test these):
-The FET
-The Flyback
-Why the screen has no static when I run my hand across
-Anything else?

I figure since there is going to be a while to get another chassis regardless, I might as well take the time to learn some more things about this one/troubleshooting or diagnosing it.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

could be flyback, hv caps, vertical circuit, hv regulation custom ic, b+ regulation circuit- just about anything and very difficult to fault find as chassis will shutdown at any fault condition
if you were to ask me what would be the worst chassis in the world to attempt to fix as a beginner then this one wins hands down, I don't even bother with them
Darklightjg1
Please Continue...

Post by Darklightjg1 »

Neither does Chad from arcadecup apparently lol. I tried to send a message to see if there was a particular reason why out of the big list of monitors that he does service. Haven't gotten a response regarding that yet.

Now is it just the Nanao MS2931 in particular that is too hard to work on, or is it any tri-sync chassis like the other replacement boards you suggested (wei-ya, rodotron, etc.)?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

nor does jomac, that gives an idea how time consuming these are
the 666b1 and 3129b are a lot easier to repair
kuze

Post by kuze »

Are the 2930 and 2933 chassis as difficult to repair as the 2931?
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

2930 i have a much better success rate, only ever had one 2933 to repair so can't say
Darklightjg1
Please Continue...

Post by Darklightjg1 »

Is the Wei-ya C3129DF chassis not compatible? I'm having a hard time finding anything that is specifically 3129b.
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

Darklightjg1 wrote: December 26th, 2018, 1:08 pm Is the Wei-ya C3129DF chassis not compatible? I'm having a hard time finding anything that is specifically 3129b.
no that is a dual focus chassis for use on 0.300mh yokes
Darklightjg1
Please Continue...

Post by Darklightjg1 »

I ordered a Wei-ya chassis from the same place that is supposed to be repairing my nanao chassis. They told me the yoke connector would be different on the wei-ya (said the wei-ya has "one big one" while the nanao has "two small ones"). Are they talking about the fact that the nanao 2931 has both a horizontal and vertical connector? Can I still use those on the wei-ya chassis if I decide to install it when it gets here?
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

You need an adapter for the vertical.
Darklightjg1
Please Continue...

Post by Darklightjg1 »

Do you have a link to whatever that is or more details on it? I'm still not that familiar with this stuff.
I thought I could just connect the two I already had to somewhere on the wei-ya chassis (assuming it would be straight across instead of two separate locations).
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

The bigger connector (horizontal deflection) coming from the tube will fit the proper pins on the 4-pin yoke header on the chassis but the smaller one (vertical deflection) will not (different gauge and spacing) so you need a simple adapter for that. I can make you one for free if you pay shipping from Italy (a couple of euros I guess).