Ever gotten a highly anticipated game and been disappointed?

Coin-operated games and arcades.
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Re: Ever gotten a highly anticipated game and been disappointed?

Post by zak »

Kretinou wrote: November 14th, 2018, 9:38 pm
zak wrote: November 14th, 2018, 11:45 amEdward Randy.
same here

Night Slashers too.
Was thinking about trying Night Slashers at some point, but it sounds like it's rare and expensive, but not necessarily good. Will give it a miss.

Probably best not to buy anymore PCBs to be honest - got enough to last a life time.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

The problem with nightslahers is its price now and whether you like beat em ups ! really ..the price though :problem: I thought it was expensive and overpriced when it was selling for in or around £180ish 10 years ago
I like edward randy but maybe its not as good as I remember

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

geotrig wrote: November 15th, 2018, 11:36 am The problem with nightslahers is its price now and whether you like beat em ups ! really ..the price though :problem: I thought it was expensive and overpriced when it was selling for in or around £180ish 10 years ago
I like edward randy but maybe its not as good as I remember
Edward Randy looks amazing, but the controls... :palm:
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Post by Pete »

Pong I was expecting more colour :D
richmal
eBay: rich28red
Initials: MAL

Post by richmal »

Pete wrote: November 15th, 2018, 12:19 pm Pong I was expecting more colour :D
:lol:
CTN
eBay: ctn2005
Initials: CTN

Post by CTN »

phillv85 wrote: November 14th, 2018, 9:37 pm
Jan wrote: November 14th, 2018, 3:35 pm Still don‘t like UD
I hear ya, got all excited for the 360 release and it was a turd.
Still better than Border Down.
Spectrexcwk
Please Continue...
eBay: Spectrexcwk
Initials: Nwb

Post by Spectrexcwk »

kernow wrote: November 14th, 2018, 5:53 pm Still SF4.. killed the series dead for me
RIP

I hate you so much ono
sf4 (the entire series) brought evo from 200 man tournaments to 200 man brackets. It lead to communities popping up literally all over the world to compete in new majors basically invented for 4.

sf4 made brought many many thousands of players into the scene. It also led to soo many good stories - pepeday/poongko momochi/daigo at stunfest daigo/xian

I disliked 4 back in the day. Though sfv makes you realize how nice we had it back then.

i'm curious why you hate ono so much for 4? The team brought sf into 3d on modern consoles, brought network play, created a pro tour, helped usher in a new era of quality arcade sticks (AT GAMESTOP), sold a ton of units, and revived the franchise. the last mainline sf game was released 10 years prior and despite being a masterpiece, 3s didn't exactly set the world on fire.

sfv has killed the series imo. I'm worried the franchise is just done at this point.
zak wrote: November 15th, 2018, 11:27 am
Kretinou wrote: November 14th, 2018, 9:38 pm
zak wrote: November 14th, 2018, 11:45 amEdward Randy.
same here

Night Slashers too.
Was thinking about trying Night Slashers at some point, but it sounds like it's rare and expensive, but not necessarily good. Will give it a miss.

Probably best not to buy anymore PCBs to be honest - got enough to last a life time.
I've played night slashers a few times on mame. I too wanted the pcb until I saw how much it costs :/ . I ended up just buying the soundtrack for the bonus stage song. I think it's the best part of the game anyway.

As for my actual contribution to the topic: I couldn't get into final fantasy ix because the characters were short and the designs rubbed me the wrong way. I wanted to be Cloud and Squall when I played 7 and 8. I never wanted to be 3ft tall with a tail and cufflinks... and no sleeves :problem:. Squall was a semi-emotionless badass with gun in his sword. So baddass his hot older teacher wanted to be with him. I bought ff9 day of release so hype to see how they were gonna top that. And they didn't :(
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

SF 4 - I just disliked that from the start, thought it looked awful and didn't like how it played.

I guess I should include SF 5 as well. However I was not anticipating that game, I was expecting it to be as bad as 4.

I have very briefly played 5 and it still looks awful and there is nothing to tempt me to play it.

EVO may have blown up since these games came out, but I hate EVO too. FG Tournaments should be played on cabs. Every EVO looks like the players are in someones front room.

FF7, I remember when this blew up on the original Playstation. I decided to buy it to try and that's when I realised turn based RPG's are just awful, plus random battles every five minutes are extremely annoying. It's a very boring genre.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Not a big fighter fan but I enjoyed SFIV. Lost interest after all the updates and thought V was crap.

I was surprised SFIV got made let alone that it was a success. Love it or hate it, SFIV reinvigorated the genre and many of the fighters released in the last decade wouldn't have been made without it.
speedlolita
eBay: speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

IV resembled SF at least a little. V is just a solid gold turd.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

IV = **** game that opened the gates for more **** games, and ramped up arcade stick prices. Remember, good arcade sticks for consoles were about 60-70 EUR before the IV boom.
Emulation's nice when done well
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

SuperPang wrote: November 17th, 2018, 1:06 pm Not a big fighter fan but I enjoyed SFIV. Lost interest after all the updates and thought V was crap.

I was surprised SFIV got made let alone that it was a success. Love it or hate it, SFIV reinvigorated the genre and many of the fighters released in the last decade wouldn't have been made without it.
Just like some may say there are no good Star Wars* films outside of the original trilogy, I deny the existence of any Street Fighter game, outside the original Trilogy series (SFII, SFA, SFIII). :awe:

I think even if IV hadn't have come out, then sooner or later Fighting Games would have come back in some way or another.

I don't think FG's would have gone like STG's, because the genre is much better in being able to appeal to a wider audience (multiplayer 1v1 will always be fun). I'm sure that CAPCOM would have eventually re-booted it, or whoever did the MK games would have done.

*Star Wars is pretty average, I was only ever into the toys.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

bloodhokuto wrote: November 19th, 2018, 3:18 pm
Just like some may say there are no good Star Wars* films outside of the original trilogy, I deny the existence of any Street Fighter game, outside the original Trilogy series (SFII, SFA, SFIII). :awe:
I struggled with accepting the other iterations outside of sf2ww bitd ,I would always make a beEline for ww over all other versions , it was slightly helped by the fact a lot of places ran those boot/ hack rainbow boards ! :problem: with wavey fireballs and all :problem: :problem:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
Muerto
eBay: muerto75
Initials: MTO

Post by Muerto »

PONG.....
Wurstkopp
Mister Dick Statue
eBay: nachmittagsprogramm
Initials: NIK

Post by Wurstkopp »

Actraiser 2. The missing sim part destroys it completely.
geosnow
eBay: g3osnow

Post by geosnow »

Kof 2000
Rage of the Dragons
SF4
Daytona 2
Sega Rally 2
landisama
eBay: cameliacomicfan
Initials: AND

Post by landisama »

Because I am a big fighting game fan and had a love for Mortal Kombat in my childhood, I would say Mortal Kombat X is a big let down for me.
It looses the coolness of the stages, characters are bland, too many horror movie references and characters, too much memorisation involved.
The courtyard, the pit, death pool, goro's lair and so many other legendary stages are now replaced by a jungle, a forest, a plane wreck....blah.
It is clear that John Tobias was a major force in character design and his leaving left a huge hole in MK universe: after the excellent roster of MK9 (based on MK Trilogy where he was still part of the creative team), MK X comes with the bland kids of MK main characters, Kotal Kahn, Ferra Torr, Tremor and other characters without personality that will probably never see the light of day in another MK.
What to say about fatalities? When you try to hard to impress , as they did in this version, it is clear that something is wrong. Probably everyone familiarized with the series knows by hearth the fatalities from MK1 and 2, while not many remember visually the fatalities of all characters in MKX.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

I’m not a lover of Mortal Kombat but liked MK2 enough for a laugh back in the day.

Can’t speak for the gameplay but Mortal Kombat X is the only one to have raised my eyebrows since. From the brief few matches I watched I actually do remember the finishing moves. I honestly thought the broken jaw selfie and “Here’s Johnny” fatalities were quite creative by Mortal Kombat standards.
landisama
eBay: cameliacomicfan
Initials: AND

Post by landisama »

For me, the eyebrow was raised by MK9. I was quite impressed by that game, especially after very low points in the series such as MK Armageddon which was atrocious and MK Deception that was OK, but sadly an infinite combo fest that destroyed VS matches. I don't want to mention MK vs DCU because it produces brain damage.
This is just my opinion. Everyone is free to have his own tastes and standards in games.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

MK9 and X aren't fun. What raises my eyebrows is how especially X has some of the best animation in any modern fighting game (Tobal No 1 still has the best animation of all time :whoopsie:) yet most of the animation in the game looks like ****. Look at Kung Lao's normal throw and hat slice fatality animations for what I'm talking about.
Emulation's nice when done well