Help with Sega OutRun2 SP cab

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Pilgrim_Pramsta
eBay: pilgrim_pramsta
Initials: JON

Help with Sega OutRun2 SP cab

Post by Pilgrim_Pramsta »

Long shot I know but I'm pretty much at the end of my tether with this so if this doesn't work then this is getting sold or I'm just going to smash it to bits and get some anger release value from it!

Long story short I bought an OutRun2 SP from someone on here a few years back. Please note there's no issue with the cab or the seller the issue is with me buying stuff I don't need/can't put together or fix etc. I saw it working in person before buying. The seller took pics of it being broken down and the wiring etc. I took delivery, put it together and...nothing. Contacted the seller and we had dialogue etc but here we are a few years later and it's sat in bits gathering dust. Have offered seller expenses and time to come and take a look but he isn't able to. Have tried to find someone locally but same story. So that's the offer I'd like to make. Lazy? Maybe. But if I start messing around with it I'm probably going to either destroy something important accidentally or intentionally out of frustration.

So if anyone has the time and is kind enough I'll pay travel and time, can offer accommodation and food and drinks etc if needed, but it's either get it fixed properly or get rid. Thanks in advance.
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Re: Help with Sega OutRun2 SP cab

Post by DaveyD »

How much did you break it down? Did you remove the monitor section? Did you strip the Naomi and all the electronics from the base unit?

What does it do when you plug it in and switch it on?
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Upload a video to youtube. Someone might spot what's amiss.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Do you have any tools?
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

SuperPang wrote: October 29th, 2018, 12:33 pm Upload a video to youtube. Someone might spot what's amiss.
This and pics !!! collective minds should be able to get this working !

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
loscanones

Post by loscanones »

Pilgrim_Pramsta wrote: October 28th, 2018, 11:37 pm I took delivery, put it together and...nothing.
You should give more details about that "nothing".

Monitor is ON or OFF?
Fans from power supply or unit are ON or OFF?

Wiring problems can be solved pretty fast if you offer details. and follow basic troubleshooting.
muddymusic

Post by muddymusic »

This one came from me, I've done what I can to help from a distance but I've had some important family stuff going on for a while and getting away for any amount of time is very difficult or I'd have been and looked at this in person already.

From what I remember we checked the Chihiro was ok hooking it up to an external monitor, then checked the main screen was ok by hooking up a laptop and getting a picture iirc, but couldn't get the game running on the main monitor for some reason.

I fitted a lovely Sony rear projection 4:3 LCD in the original monitor housing, and it had an absolutely gorgeous picture. It should have just been a matter of putting it all back together again and flicking the power on but something has either gone wrong or been missed in reassembly - if the Chihiro and Screen are still both ok it really can't be much! The Chihiro was a fully serviced one from Giz10p running from CF card.

Part of me is wondering if the VGA cable is actually 2 linked together somewhere inside the cab, if they had separated that would be a problem. It's the DX version so not as easy to test as the cockpit, as the cabling to the psu and chihiro are right at the back of the cab.
Repro artwork supplier, pm or visit http://www.arcadeartshop.com
Pilgrim_Pramsta
eBay: pilgrim_pramsta
Initials: JON

Post by Pilgrim_Pramsta »

Monitor definitely works - have tested it in isolation. Same with the motherboard. So I've obviously missed a connection or something. Certainly haven't heard any pops or bangs or smelt anything burning during my attempts at getting it to work.

It's in a semi state of build right now as had a log cabin put up in the back yard as a games room and having moved it in there just haven't had the time or inclination to have a go but will find the time to try to connect everything up again and post a video asap.

Appreciate the replies guys.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

Main thing is both are working, Have you used a different vga cable between the 2 ?

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Post by DaveyD »

Can you get to the back of the monitor to remove the cable? I'd try running a new cable from the chihiro round the cab and into the back of the monitor as your next step.

Either that or pull the cab apart to trace where the original monitor goes
muddymusic

Post by muddymusic »

As mentioned above I think the first thing to do for sure is get a nice new long VGA lead and run it direct from the chihiro to the screen. It's got to be something simple like that.
Repro artwork supplier, pm or visit http://www.arcadeartshop.com