Are you a feeder?

Coin-operated games and arcades.
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Re: Are you a feeder?

Post by zak »

OlDirty wrote:I play all my cave shmups with 2 credits. This allows me to get further as i would come with once credit :wtf: . Target is to 1CC the game but with 2 credits i don't repeat the early stategs that often. Somtimes (if i don't see any progress) i also play with MAME or XBOX 360 just to learn the later stages. It's really more efficient than to play always from the beginning. It's the same when you learn a song with an instrument, you learn it part by part till you have it all together.
I like your analogy, but don't you find it ruins your rhythm when you're not playing things in the correct order? (games, not the music) :)

I know an In The Hunt player who was able to play the World version PCB and 1cc it. As soon as he played the Japanese one, it confused him.
OlDirty

Post by OlDirty »

Problem is that it takes me too long to 1cc a game, IF i ever can. I can spend easily 1/2 - 1 year on a game and won't be able to do a 1CC. So i try to find ways to make it more efficient for me. For example Muchi Muchi Pork. Those bloody choppers in stage 3 always kicked my ****. Sometimes i had luck and survived them, but most of the time i lost too many lives there. So i played stage 3 on my XBOX 360 for like 1 month and then returned to my PCB with 2 credits. Surprise surprise i didn't get kicked so often anymore by thos bloody choppers. For me it also gets boring to play the earlier stages 100000times just to get to the part where i really have problems.
monouchi
Polishing his shaft
eBay: monouchi_jn
Initials: BUS

Post by monouchi »

SuperPang wrote:Continues off on all my Cave PCBs.
This.
On all my pcbs. (That has it.)
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

pubjoe wrote:
zak wrote:I generally want a game to last as long as possible
I need to shake this attitude to be honest. I can’t savour everything. If a 1cc wasn’t hard enough already, I’m having to learn a game in pigeon steps and repeat the beginning every time. Fine maybe for the game of my life, but I don’t play anything nearly enough.

The best credit limitation was actually being in an arcade with limited money. Then you could continue as much as you could afford but each life was still precious. There’s no good way of emulating this. Maybe hide the coin box key and only play with whatever 20p coins you’ve gathered in your pocket change. I tried this for a day but my will power failed to suffer the unnecessary inconvenience.

So
Credit feeding removes all challenge.
Continues-off is too time consuming.
Self imposed middle grounds feel a bit stupid.

After ten years of having a cabinet I still dunno what to do for the best with single player games. Arcade games are designed to battle with your wallet. I’ll only play with no-continues because otherwise I find games hard to enjoy on free play - trying to pretend I care when I lose a life.

:think:

The best thing is probably to ask Mum for pocket money and only use that.
haha im exactly this !!! limited money when i used to go to arcades made the choice to continue a precious one ! and sometimes if i had been close to the end I'd splash that extra 20p :hinthint:

It has hampered me getting any better at these games as its just to hard to replicate needing /wanting your money to last that bit longer ! I also had a fear of getting too good at a game (no idea why ,its never going to happen) and that i wouldnt enjoy it anymore i.e ssf2x and the likes
What I normally do is ,1 credit and play to relax more than anything ! every now and again I sit down to play a bit more serious and its one credit to try best myself but without the limitations of the above it just doesnt happen.

I tend to credit feed when the kids are playing and nieces and nephews are as well ! the only way ive seen alot of later stages !!! :lolno:

brawlers need to be credit fed!

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
o1s1n
eBay: astro_oisin

Post by o1s1n »

The moment I start credit feeding it just ruins the fun of the game for me really. Feels like cheating.

Never really thought of using it to try and learn later levels as part of a 1cc run. I'm in a similar boat with Metal Slug, can 1cc up until about half way through the final stage with ease and then it all falls apart!
geosnow
eBay: g3osnow

Post by geosnow »

it depends, but i do feed to practice later levels.
CTN
eBay: ctn2005
Initials: CTN

Post by CTN »

I completely loose my rhythm when credit feeding so it doesn't do me much good in learning later stages. Therefore credit feeding doesn't help me much.
denson
eBay: chubba100

Post by denson »

I only credit feed occasionally to see the later levels like most here. On some games I play, like Pang! If you have to add a credit you lose your score so that ends the game for me as I play to beat myself! :)
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Life’s too short, in ten years of having a cabinet the amount of new games I’ve completed with the 1 credit restriction is: 0.
pubjoe wrote:Maybe hide the coin box key and only play with whatever 20p coins you’ve gathered in your pocket change. I tried this for a day but my will power failed to suffer the unnecessary inconvenience.
I’m trying this properly now. I have an ashtray full of 20p coins which I’m going to keep topped up, and I’m not going to give myself any advance rules about continuing.

I want to allow myself unrestricted continues while still caring enough about lives to make effort and enjoy a game. I don’t expect a pile of 20ps to make this suddenly happen but it might make me care a little bit more, and anyway, coining up is fun.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

The key is to have fun. I personally have more fun when I don't use continues. Someone else might have more fun when they see the ending of a game rather than dying at a boss, but not me, no matter what anyone/everyone else says.

I really suck at shmups. Working on beating level 2 at Blazing Star. :lol:
Emulation's nice when done well
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

I’m all for that. I find short games where I’m likely to die the most fun. It’s just that they have second halves too.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

One of my favourite 80s arcade games was Space Harrier, which was a game that slightly downplayed the credit system. The one I played used to give 3 lives for 30p or 9 lives for 50p (extra credits just top up the life stock). I eventually practiced enough to beat it with a 3 life start, so effectively a 1cc. I hadn’t spoiled the game by getting there with previous continue sessions, I was always trying my hardest not to die and to spend the minimum. I don’t think I ever spent more than £1 a play, so the first 18 life complete was still an achievement. I think freeplay continue sessions would have spoiled that fun though. It’s hard to freely credit feed and give a ****.

Using the one credit rule is fun, yes. Each life is valuable. But it also ekes a game out for far far too much time. I wouldn’t want to have tried to learn Space Harrier like that.

I doubt it’s possible now that I’m not ten, but I’d like to use continues and still value life.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

LEGENOARYNINLIA wrote:Someone else might have more fun when they see the ending of a game rather than dying at a boss, but not me, no matter what anyone/everyone else says.
I've played enough games now with out ever seeing the ending that it hard to change that attidude now ! :lol: as well as not feeling compelled to credit feed before ,alot of games i've used to play i never felt compelled to complete. fighters and neo titles are the only one i actively tried to 1cc mostly.

I can only think of one game i actively credit fed (revolution x) :oops: as my mates and I were looking to clear it other than that "hot rod" but that just went on and on :think: I wonder did it have an end !I remember having fairly long sessions playing on it

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

SuperPang wrote:Continues off on all my Cave PCBs.
+ 666 !!! Me too !!

I never credit feed
Imhotep
Please Continue...
Initials: STB

Post by Imhotep »

Credit feeding can help a lot to efficiently learn a game. The problem I have with it is that I tend to loose the 'survival above all' mentality when doing it for too long. That mentality is crucial to make progress in an attempt to clear a game. In an STG i.e. it's important to have zero reluctance to use bombs to prolong a live, and not to take too much risk when scoring etc. On a first credit, I do these things intuitively, but it takes a lot of concentration to maintain them when feeding. Those suicidal feeder habits might even continue to sneak in first credit runs, which ends in frustration.

Learning to NMNB the first three stages in a game is often an important stepping stone to get far into the later levels. So as long as I'm not close to pull that of, I tend keep it to one credit more often.

As it's been mentioned before, belt fighters tend to become dull when fed through, but can be surprisingly interesting when attempted on one credit, despite the repetitive gameplay.
Spectrexcwk
Please Continue...
eBay: Spectrexcwk
Initials: Nwb

Post by Spectrexcwk »

I’m dirty disgusting feeder :lol: .

I don’t usually feed with border down. It’s my favorite shmup so it’s the only one I’d like to 1cc. I really suck at it though. Good thing the music in stage 1-3 is so good because i end up spending most of my time there :/.

Final fight - I feed but it doesn’t take my enjoyment away at all. I’m working on a 1cc and I feed to practice different boss strategies. I occasionally try to to do the stuff I see in TAS videos. I’m also still working on the infinite timing with Guy, so some feed runs are only focused on that.

If I want to 1cc something I can load up a fighting game but I don’t think those count.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

I tend to feed when I want to explore the game. As I mostly play shmups I find it useful for training purposes too. I try 1cc, but I hardly reach the end in most cases.

Not sure why feeding is looked at as 'negative'. In my busy live I don't have the time/willingness to spend days getting somewhere on a game, but still like to enjoy them.
Of course the SHMUP genre is the worse kind in not allowing the player any favors :lol:

To be fair, PCB's stay usually months in my cab to be enjoyed - regardless I credit feed or not.
Missile5
Please Continue...
eBay: buzz939

Post by Missile5 »

zak wrote: May 26th, 2018, 5:03 pm Whenever I get a new PCB, I can never bring myself to continue after the first credit. I restart almost immediately. Credit feeding has always left me feeling underwhelmed and disappointed in a game. For me it eliminates the motivation to come back and complete it on 1 credit.
You are just like me. My whole young life I have been doing that. Only last year did I watch a Ytube video to see the last 2 bosses on Rtype because i have never seen them in the game!

I will say that now I am older I will credit feed to get better at the later parts of the game. Sometimes it's just not fun getting to a incredibly hard boss in a schmup and dying and restarting on it taking 15 mins to get to him again and then dying again and *Still* having no idea how to beat him. I'll only do this when I really get stuck though.
landisama
eBay: cameliacomicfan
Initials: AND

Post by landisama »

I put a limit of 4 credits when I play Final Fight or TMNT:Turtles in Time. I get to play a fair amount of time and have room for mistakes when learning the games.