Game Boys (Bivert-curious welcome)

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Re: Game Boys (Bivert-curious welcome)

Post by geotrig »

:awe:
Not bad

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

clearba.jpg
clearba2.jpg
Superglued GBA rescued. Very impressed with the replacement shell. Other than a few bits of sprue I'm hard pressed to tell it apart from OEM, the moulding is excellent with all the text clean and crisp. The lens and grey parts (buttons) not so great. I've used the original parts, and wouldve used the original bumpers too if one wasnt glued in :palm:

And the latest Omega firmware has made my cartridge more reliable. It's still not 100%, but its at least usable now. Need to find some smaller capacity MicroSD cards, got a hunch that might help more.

Megahaul should be landing today :awe:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Nice and good choice of game 8-)
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

Didnt you have an issue with the screen and the glue also ? was it just a case of removing the residues ? it nearly tempts me to play with mine :problem:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

I hoovered up a hoard of those batteries too. :hoover:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

geotrig wrote: August 30th, 2018, 3:09 pm Didnt you have an issue with the screen and the glue also ? was it just a case of removing the residues ? it nearly tempts me to play with mine :problem:
Yeah, this is a new screen too. I'm not sure if the brightness wire has stayed soldered properly, need to compare to my other GBA.

I've done four now. It's an easy bit of work, just time consuming to trim the shells. What I find interesting is that if you buy a pre-cut shell they are all milled out fully, which is not how it should be done. Doing it like that means you need to fix the screen in place with hot glue.

I found one video that had the proper cuts detailed. One!

The original lens on a GBA is flush with the outer casing? This shell has a deeper inset, which would make it a good candidate for the thicker, glass lenses.
pubjoe wrote: August 30th, 2018, 3:43 pm I hoovered up a hoard of those batteries too. :hoover:
Everyone I know IRL did :lol: I'd like to get rechargeables again (haven't had any since I was a teenager), but with 42 million childs toys in the house needing AAs...
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

megahaul.jpg
Looks about 300 unique titles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

Fwhy me :shock:
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

:awe: :lol:

pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

:lol: mental

I got a whole load of rechargeables a few years ago but they need so much organisation.

Yeah, children’s toys are the killer. I keep losing my Eneloops. Some battery toys don’t even look like battery toys and I just forget.

Rechargeables don’t have that many ideal uses. Remote controls, clocks and toys are better off with disposals. That rules out almost everything that still takes AAs.

Gameboys and Wiimotes are the only good uses I can think of.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Let’s get some closeups of the new cartpet :whoopsie:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

pubjoe wrote: August 30th, 2018, 10:59 pm cartpet
:lol:

Pulled out all the stuff I recognised or with an English title and gave it a quick check for playability - ended up with over 50 games. Stuff I was pleased to find: Tennis, Volleyfire, Kirby Tilt & Tumble, Motocross Maniacs, Donkey Kong, Mario Land, Mario Land 2, Wario Land, Wario Land 3, Tetris DX, Tetris Flash, Dr. Mario, all sorts of other Kirby titles, KOF 96, Real Bout Special, Samurai Spirits 2, Rockman World & 3 & 5, Metroid 2

Other than a Japanese copy of Kuru Kuru Kururin, the only other GBA title was the tilt sensor game Koro Koro Puzzle - Happy Panechu!. Seems playable although the colour matching causes problems :mad:

Not too terrible on the doublers. Half a dozen Tetris, think there are about ten Pokemon of different varieties. Reminds me, need to check what I've decided "keep" already, see if it supports linked play and keep a second copy. Already done that for Tetris.

Really don't like how the Gameboy Color cartridges look.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Mole Mania pro-tip: Don't use the Surrender item, it's a trap. (It counts against your level completion, and to retry - you have to do the whole level again)
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Ah thanks. I wasn’t aware of that. I completed 3 or 4 worlds. Think I’ll get back on it tonight.
cools wrote: August 31st, 2018, 2:37 pmReally don't like how the Gameboy Color cartridges look.
Yeah, they look a bit booty. The black DX ones are nice.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

pubjoe wrote: August 31st, 2018, 4:12 pm Ah thanks. I wasn’t aware of that. I completed 3 or 4 worlds. Think I’ll get back on it tonight.
There's a hint in world 4 that a screen is "first hard, then easy" which after much though and experimenting I interpreted as "this puzzle is impossible, you must use the surrender icon found in the screen".

I was wrong.

:problem:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

gbjapan1.jpg
Some cast offs. 2 are playable - one is a slot machine "simulator", and the other is a mini game collection that doesn't have much of a game to it. The big blue carts are a Tamagotchi game, and the big black one is Robopon I think - unplayable if you don't know the language. There's a mahjong that I suspect is fine, but I don't care for mahjong.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

gb1.jpg
And some good stuff. I'm not looking up titles. Title given if it's on the label or title screen only.

"Card Game". Fully English, poker/blackjack etc.
Brain Drain. Fully English, lovely tile rotating puzzler. Shame it doesn't have a save feature as it's brilliant.
The 3rd of some baseball game series, plays well, with link play.
An isometric football game. Incredibly difficult, primitive but quite nicely presented.
Momotaro Thunderbolt. Action platformer where your character changes with different powerups. Physics take some getting used to.
Puyo Puyo with the worlds smallest tiles.
A wrestling game. So bad it's good? I like the bulging eye animations during grapples.
Slam Dunk 2. Stonking intro leads to confusing basketball game. I've not played anything like it before - it's a bit like Wario Ware meets Golf.
A jockey game where you're riding a cow. Text heavy but the action parts are quite fun. Looks and sounds nice too.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Oh! :awe:
braindrain.jpg
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

sounds like some nice oddities to keep you busy, I especially lolled at cow riding jockey :lol:

cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Went through another chunk last week that I've not found time to post about yet.

However: Japanese release of Wario Land 3 GBC has selectable English, which is nice as a decent EUR copy goes for a tenner compared to the sub quid on YHJ