I'm currently playing:

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Re: I'm currently playing:

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

Which EX game do you prefer, pubisyacob?

I prefer EX Plus (and Plus Alpha), but it seems the scene plays EX 2 Plus.
Emulation's nice when done well
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Not sure. Probably EX 2 Plus, although I prefer the angular polygonal look of EX Plus. Imo it’s aged better than the sequel’s gorad shading.

CTN
eBay: ctn2005
Initials: CTN

Post by CTN »

I only ever played a pal demo of +alpha and it felt a bit sluggish. So I never cared for the EX series much. I guess it was a mistake.
Is the Japanese version better in the speed department?
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

I’ve been playing enter the gungeon a lot. I’m actually gettting better (still ****) it’s £2 or summit on the switch, absolute bargain
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

Great isn't it. Gets hard as nails but so much fun. I'm not normally a fan of random/procedurally generated games but it really works for this game. Some of the weapons are > :lol: < There's loads of secrets/paths etc too. I've not played it for ages (have it on PC) but I think I got to about the fifth floor, I think most of that was luck though :awe: The weapons you pick up early on have a massive impact on the success of your run. Dodge roll ftw.

I've been downloading some other Switch games. There's loads of Psikyo stuff on there now, Strikers 1945, Strikers 1945+, Gunbird, Zerogunner 2, Dragon Blaze, Gunbarich..... There's tate mode on the vert games too!

Really enjoyed Axiom Verge. Need to nail (what I think is) the final boass and then go back through it to 100%. Played Yoku's Island Express (Ori meets pinball, almost) on holiday which was fun but it was a bit hard to know where/what you were meant to be doing at times.

Has anyone got a Switch fightstick? Thinking of picking one up for some casual sofa gayming.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

CTN wrote:I only ever played a pal demo of +alpha and it felt a bit sluggish. So I never cared for the EX series much. I guess it was a mistake.
I can't remember anything about the PAL version, but I have the JP version on PS1 and it plays like a dream.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

@Franco, the 5th is the final floor, keep going!

I’m determined to finish it. I think the latest update has made it easier, in that there are many more chests when I play now.
zak
Acetated
eBay: NA

Post by zak »

FrancoB wrote:
I've been downloading some other Switch games. There's loads of Psikyo stuff on there now, Strikers 1945, Strikers 1945+, Gunbird, Zerogunner 2, Dragon Blaze, Gunbarich..... There's tate mode on the vert games too!
I heard that the Psikyo stuff is going to be released physically as a collection soon.
CTN
eBay: ctn2005
Initials: CTN

Post by CTN »

LEGENOARYNINLIA wrote:plays like a dream.

:think:
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

CTN wrote:I only ever played a pal demo of +alpha and it felt a bit sluggish. So I never cared for the EX series much. I guess it was a mistake.
Might be, can’t remember. I played the PAL version bitd.

EX is a slower paced game in general. Iirc some of the Arika team were original developers of SF2 who were unhappy with the series going turbo and preferred the slower and more tactical style.
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

I remember getting ex+alpha on the PS1 and playing the heck out of it.

It was a great game to get into, I think the timing for chaining combos was very generous, as was the detections for the likes of the spinning pile driver. I pretty much completed almost all of the training challenges, save as to perhaps the ones involving the 2x 360 motions.

I never had anyone to play against unfortunately, even when I found the game in an arcade in London.

For some strange reason I never got EX2 at the time, it's like I completely forgot about the series till EX3, when I got that at PS2 Jpn launch. Think I played that a bit, but not as much as I had the first game.

Never touched it again till much later years and I'm really not that keen on the looks of it now, but the music however is absolutely timeless and probably one of the best fighting soundtracks. Even now I'll put the OST on every once in a while.

I keep meaning to put some time into EX2, but never get round to it.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Yeah it is generous with combo timings but let’s face it, it’s a better multiplayer game because of that.

I remember from the practice mode it still had some REALLY tricky combos though.

I think you’d like EX2 but I’ve never played EX3 and don’t know how similarly they play.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

markedkiller78 wrote:I’ve been playing enter the gungeon a lot. I’m actually gettting better (still ****) it’s £2 or summit on the switch, absolute bargain
FrancoB wrote:Great isn't it. Gets hard as nails but so much fun. I'm not normally a fan of random/procedurally generated games but it really works for this game. Some of the weapons are > :lol: < There's loads of secrets/paths etc too. I've not played it for ages (have it on PC) but I think I got to about the fifth floor, I think most of that was luck though :awe: The weapons you pick up early on have a massive impact on the success of your run. Dodge roll ftw.
dl'd it last night and went from this is very very meh to oh its a good bit of fun ! It took me way to long to figure out how to leave the lobby/breach area :lol: :oops: :facepalm: like you mark I'm **** at it so far and probably wont improve ,Aiming with right stick while running/moving is not my forte

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

pubjoe wrote:Yeah it is generous with combo timings but let’s face it, it’s a better multiplayer game because of that.

I remember from the practice mode it still had some REALLY tricky combos though.

I think you’d like EX2 but I’ve never played EX3 and don’t know how similarly they play.
while it sounds appealing as a game for the most part the thoughts of learning combos :problem: :yawn:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

That’s it’s strong point. By ‘generous with combo timings’ I mean you don’t need to learn combos. You can get away with trying **** and a lot of the time it works. Freestyle yo.

There’s depth and some difficulty there, as I remember from the practice mode, but it’s not essential to do well by any means.

It’s what made it so good for playing with random mt8s.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Tempest 4000 is the ****.
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

Dead Cells on Switch = :awe: :awe: :awe:

It#s another procedurally generated game but it works really, really well. I've been playing it pretty much non stop today. Currently stuck on the Black Bridge. Need to get a good weapons loadout to get past it.
landisama
eBay: cameliacomicfan
Initials: AND

Post by landisama »

Bayonetta 1 on Switch.
I love the game so much that I finished it on Xbox 360, PS3, PC and now I play it again on Switch. However, after finishing the PC version with high resolution graphics, it's quite hard to return to 720p.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

cools wrote:
pubjoe wrote:
cools wrote:Thimbleweed Park on Switch, and Mole Mania on GameBoy
How are you finding Thimbleweed Park? I’d forgotten about that. And I’d forgotten about Mole Mania too. I’ve completed the first 4 levels iirc. They’re a nice length to do one per session.
Thimbleweed Park is great. The writing is some of Ron Gilbert's best. I've not completed it yet - I think I'm on the last/last but one chapter - and I've whittled away about 14 hours. Some evenings I've even stayed up way past my bedtime playing it.
And last night I completed it. Final save clocked in at 19h14m.

Ending wasn't to my taste but it's done well enough. I stand by my earlier criticism where you're finding a needle in a haystack on occasion. Played on a PC, close to the screen, this would be reduced a lot - it's home territory rather than a handheld console.

My only real gripe is the number of semi-red herrings. There are times where you are presented with half a dozen options, only one being an actual completable puzzle. I don't know if this is to justify the hint system's existence or another reason, but it's irritating to find you're running down a whole bunch of blind alleys...
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

World Heroes Perfect and Culdcept Revolt, while waiting for La Mulana 2.