Chewlix C (Chinese Vewlix Capcom)

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
mRCaESaR
eBay: mr_caesar81
Initials: JTL

Re: Chewlix C (Chinese Vewlix Capcom)

Post by mRCaESaR »

OLDBYTE wrote:Great thread on the CHEWLIX cabs. We bought one here in Australia, knowing we would never get an original Vewlix Street Fighter cab. Brand new $1700 AUD. We are running an original Super Street Fighter 4 arcade edition Namco unit in it. (Purchased in Japan ) We had a local company reproduce some artwork. The cab looks and runs great. Everyone loves the cab and it is one of our fav. We added red Led lights and I made a matching Street Fighter stool
Yep. Please by all means. Add to the thread. I'd like this to be a pretty source of info thread too.

I'm getting my second one for 1.6k AUD, the first one was 1.2k, so at 2.8k, I'm very happy to have 2 in a 1p configuration :D :D

Was the conversion from jamma to jvs easy? I thought about getting a taito type x2 board, but I honestly didn't see a need.

I think I'll just slap a gtx 1050 ti low profile on my Dell optiplex 990 i5 with 8gb ram and be done with a very capable hyperspin pc with taito type x2 emulation.

Carson is also doing my side panels :D :D (I know he did yours as I saw your post on the vewlix thread on Aussie Arcade :D )

Your cabs look great with the LEDs. Do you run an arcade or something?

Btw.. A couple of things

1. where did you get your marquee from? I'm wanting to get a set for mine.
2. Do you know if you can rotate your monitor? Itd be great if you can post pics of the back of your cab without the black panel on, Is'm interested to see how other cabs vary and differ from mine.
3. Where can I get those stools from? :D they've got a Chinese vewlix, why not have a Chinese Vewlix stool? I want the sega/taito chairs but don't really want to pay over 200 AUD for om.
OLDBYTE
Please Continue...
eBay: tackandh
Initials: RNB

Post by OLDBYTE »

Hi, I should have paid more attention to your location. Here I am talking about Australia and you live just 3 kangaroo hops away. I will try to answer your questions. I don't run an Arcade centre, just a private collector. I do the hobby with my son and together we restore whatever cabs come along that interest us. I must say it's got a bit out of control. But hey, we could be doing worse things. I connected the Namco unit up via a Capcom I/O board, kick harness etc. Simple and works great. (see last pic) The marquees I made myself. I can send you the sizes. I got my local Perspex guy to cut 2 panels, one clear and the back one red. Just found some nice bolts and there you have it. I purchased the marquee artwork from Japan and it is original. The stools are the Highway Entertainment cheap $55 ones. I am an Upholsterer by trade, so I recovered the tops. I will take some pics of the back of the cab when I get a chance. Also a pic of the Blazblue cab . I hope that helps.
DSC02229.JPG
DSC01944.JPG
DSC02245.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

OLDBYTE wrote:Hi, I should have paid more attention to your location. Here I am talking about Australia and you live just 3 kangaroo hops away.
Hahah yeah, maybe not 3 hops away, but close compared to the other side of the world :D
OLDBYTE wrote:I don't run an Arcade centre, just a private collector. I do the hobby with my son and together we restore whatever cabs come along that interest us.
Fair enough. Like me. I don't do any restorations, but I have built bar tops. I'm tempted to go "hunting" for an Astro City cabinet and put a Jamma setup in that... Just don't want to spend any more than what I would for a HD setup.
OLDBYTE wrote: I must say it's got a bit out of control. But hey, we could be doing worse things.
Nah, there's only a few cabs there ;) :D

Out of control would be 2x 1 player setups for fighting games, 2x 1p setups for SHMUPS and 2x 1p setups for Jamma lol

I'm going a bit crazy, I'll have 2x Chewlix setups by the end of the week, a 2p bartop and a 1p vertical bartop lol - still want an astro city though haha.
OLDBYTE wrote: I connected the Namco unit up via a Capcom I/O board, kick harness etc. Simple and works great. (see last pic)
Don't think I'll go down the path of getting a taito type x2 board. I'll stick to a PC.
OLDBYTE wrote: The marquees I made myself. I can send you the sizes. I got my local Perspex guy to cut 2 panels, one clear and the back one red. Just found some nice bolts and there you have it.
How much did that end up costing you? The only place I could find the perspex is from Europe and they're wanting pretty much 100 Euro to send over to AU - I think that's a bit too much for my liking :)

http://www.shadaloo.eu/index.php?route= ... uct_id=229

I'd be interested how you made this.
OLDBYTE wrote: I purchased the marquee artwork from Japan and it is original.
I'm sure this part will be easy.. Carson will most likely be able to fix me up for this, and there's sellsellsell2000 that has a large range of artwork that he could help me out with.
OLDBYTE wrote:The stools are the Highway Entertainment cheap $55 ones. I am an Upholsterer by trade, so I recovered the tops. I will take some pics of the back of the cab when I get a chance. Also a pic of the Blazblue cab . I hope that helps.
I've seriously thought about getting these ones from highway, but I'm looking for ones that are from a Bricks and Mortar just so I don't have to pay shipping lol.

Helps that you're an upholster, by the time I look into "customising" a stool eg. a SFV logo or something, after paying an upholsters labour, materials and the chair itself, I may as well get a Taito one (it'll only set me 300 Euro :lol: :lol: :lol: )
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

It's been a while since I made any progress :)

I had an idea of making a "Y" harness so I could have both the Brook UFB and Jamma harnesses plugged into the controller.

Unfortunately, the idea was great in theory, but for some reason (and I still can't figure out why), when both UFB and Jamma are connected, it absolutely acts up even though only one is powered. Directional movements don't work, it registers all 4 directions, I get stuck holding down etc - and this occurs both on PS4 and on the Pandora. So that harness was quickly scratched! :lol:

Now onto the following night after my Y harness fail..

Since I didn't like the UFB exposed, I went to the local electrical shop and found a decent sized PCB enclosure. A couple of holes later, some reverse tape and some wire wrapping, I found myself a nice decent enclosure for the UFB

Now for the weekend "clean up".

In preparation of the second cabinet being delivered this week, I needed to make the "host" cabinet tidy and roomy so I can have the Jamma and PS4 setup nicely.

I rewired the Pandora to take up all the space on the top shelf and put it down on the bottom shelf.

I shifted the power supply from having the terminals at the front to the back (just in case I have the front panel removed and the kids or I don't accidentally kick the power supply touching the 240v wires - not really keen on getting electrocuted whilst playing Street Fighter :D), I also re-worked the harness and all its respective cables so it all fits nicely on the bottom shelf.

After shifting the wiring around and tidying up, I realised there's plenty of room and the only thing I could think of was a PC setup (I know I had plans of doing this, but I didn't realise it'd be this quick! I didn't plan on installing a PC setup immediately - that was more a phase 2 or even 3 - but now, I'm looking at a hyperspin setup, plus there's a number of great SHMUPS available on the PC).

Today's events included getting delivery of the vinyl and a new graphics card!

A few posts ago, I stated I ordered vinyl from a local printer to replicate the Vewlix Decals. Today I received them and they're far beyond my expectations!

THEY ARE AWESOME!!!

Side panels removed

Had to apply the vinyl via the "wet method". So runny soapy water it is!!

Vinyl applied and waiting for it to settle a little..

I was a little impatient and removed the top film off because I just couldn't wait!!

Both sides with their vinyls applied

A closer look (bubbles still exist at this point as it hasn't fully settled and I haven't rubbed it off yet)

As part of the package, I also got some CP vinyls. You can't have a vewlix without the 100 yen sticker!! :) :D :D

Again, I was being impatient, I really should've waited overnight, but I just couldn't help myself!

Side panels connected back to the main cabinet.

Finally, the GFX card I ended up getting was the GTX 1050 low profile - it's the best card I can get for the Dell 990 Optiplex since it's low profile and it doesn't need external power. I initially had plans on getting the Ti version, but I just didn't want to spend the money :lol:

She's fits nice and snug in the Optiplex!

Hopefully the next update will be when the second cabinet arrives!
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

mRCaESaR wrote:Hopefully the next update will be when the second cabinet arrives!
Looks like a lot can happen in 12 hours! :(

I was expecting my delivery tomorrow, but the seller has told me the cabinet had been "incorrectly" labelled and has already been sold after I paid a deposit!

Not happy at all!

Need to look at importing costs from Alibaba
OLDBYTE
Please Continue...
eBay: tackandh
Initials: RNB

Post by OLDBYTE »

Is Carson doing a control panel overlay for you?

Re the stools. I can make covers for you. Would be about $30 including logo. All you would have to do is fit the covers and staple off around the bottom.
asset.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

Nah, haven't asked Carson to do the CP overlay. I don't think I want to since my marquee isn't the Vewlix C style, only the L. I'd prefer to match the Marquee matching the CP.

Re: stool - I'll hit you up once I have my second cabinet.
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

The Chewlix adventures continues! :)

After my failed "tate" attempt of the Chewlix, a fellow shmups player provided some details on how he rotated his Vewlix. It turns out, I required additional brackets to turn the Chewlix into a vertical shmups cab

https://imgur.com/a/VZeNx

Once I received the pictures, I contacted a number of retailers on Alibaba. Enter Potech Technology who were up for the challenge - I had no idea how to explain that I didn't buy the cabinet from them, but was wondering if they sold these particular brackets to rotate a cabinet :)

The parts were sent on Friday, and today the following showed up at work

I have no idea what the little tiny one is used for??

Took the monitor and bezel out and the first bracket fits like in the "Chinese Vewlix L TATE gallery" - signs look good!

Removed the brackets for the normal position and installed the Tate brackets

All 4 brackets installed and the metal plates are also removed..

Monitor fits like a glove in the tate position!!

Booted up an old pc, and she's working just fine, albeit in the horizontal position

Played around with portrait settings and we were back in business!!

Nothing like some Crimzon Clover to test out the new Tate Chewlix!!

Excuse the video work, I'm obviously far from your average youtuber who knows how to record properly :)

Like all shmups games for me, I quickly see this screen too often

That's the latest on the tate chewlix.

In other news, I'm in the process of finalising my order from Alibaba in ordering another cabinet! Until then.
SpaceGod
Please Continue...

Post by SpaceGod »

hey guys cool stuff you're doing but i have a question.

i was planing on getting a Chewlix but i'm in Arkansas show there is no market for it and cant find it anywhere.
then i was checking out Alibaba and saw that there are Chinese arcade companies selling them. so i got in contact with one of there reps and they said i can get one for 450USD and 530USD sea and ground.

but what i was wondering if this sounds correct? and if anyone here has dealt with Alibaba. is there anything i need to worry when using the site?
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

My second one cost 550 USD but it's your shipping that will cost an arm and a leg.

Brokerage fees, customs, port fees etc is costing me around 720 USD (not sure about duty as of yet as I'm still waiting for my second one). My shipping is to Australia, so shipping to you might be a lot more expensive

I went with a door to door service for my second cab so it probably cost a little more than what it would've cost me to do myself but I'll gladly pay the extra as I couldn't spend the time in researching and finding quotes.
Jump
Please Continue...
eBay: NoobRoller

Post by Jump »

SpaceGod wrote:hey guys cool stuff you're doing but i have a question.

i was planing on getting a Chewlix but i'm in Arkansas show there is no market for it and cant find it anywhere.
then i was checking out Alibaba and saw that there are Chinese arcade companies selling them. so i got in contact with one of there reps and they said i can get one for 450USD and 530USD sea and ground.

but what i was wondering if this sounds correct? and if anyone here has dealt with Alibaba. is there anything i need to worry when using the site?

I don't think thats quite accurate, importing these things has a dozen fees.

Manufacturing cost.
Shipping to NA port.
Document transfer fee.
Security Fee.
Taxes/Duties
Broker fee.
Warehouse storage fee
Freight forwarding fee.
Lift gate fee for the delivering truck.
Delivery to your house from port.
Currency exchange.
Money wiring fee.
SpaceGod
Please Continue...

Post by SpaceGod »

thats for letting me know i just wanted to make sure
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

So it's been a while since I've had any major update and for a reason, I've been patiently waiting for my second cab :)

Yesterday, this massive box finally arrived! It's nicely packed and I didn't have any issues with additional customs fees for fumigation or anything like that.

These little critters were a massive PITA to line up.

Each one of the 30 or so pieces needed to be straightened out like this

First piece of wood taken off

After all panels were taken off, the cabinet is clearly seen and decently packaged :)

As you could appreciate, my excitement levels were pretty high by this stage :D

Foam wrapping taken off and she's a beauty!!

Put her right next to the existing one to see if there are any "major" differences, and the only thing I picked up was the speaker casings aren't the same black as the metal panel (unlike my first cab). The speakers themselves had silver cones and not black like my first cab

A quick test of the HDMI splitter shows everything works as expected.

Unfortunately, the wiring of the Jamma harness that was installed appeared to be all over the place. None of the sticks worked nor the buttons. So I ripped them straight out and installed the Brook UFB I made using the wiring loom from the other cab. The CP's were quickly switched to single player ones and everything worked straight away. All PS4 functionality that I installed worked. Directional keys and buttons functioned as expected.

As you can see in this image, the right cab is waaaaay brighter than the original cab, I'll try and work out how to lower the brightness and make the image less saturated over the coming days/weeks.

One accessory I requested from the supplier was a marquee. To my surprise, there was a blue LED fitted and wired on the second cab and when I placed the marquee on it, it was quite a nice thing to see - ie. the marquee being accentuated by the LED

After seeing the marquee in action on the cabinet, I decided not to bother trying to find the connector of the first cabinet's LED and just hard wire it to the 12v source, so I tapped in to the 12v fan source, gave it some solder and heat shrink and looky looky - you wouldn't even think I did it :)

Voila!! Just in time for SFV:AE!!

Things to do:

- split the audio and directly wire the 3.5mm to the 2nd cab's amp as there is no sound going to it at the moment.
- calibrate the monitors
- clean the glass panels on the monitor
- fix up the wiring so it's all coming from the primary cab into the secondary cab
- get a second set of vinyl's for the sides
- organise artwork from sellsellsells200 (want an Ultra SFIV and a SFV:AE one made up)
- configure the PC for hyperspin
- download the AE update on my silly 2Mbps connection, so that'll take a good 16 hours :(

After all that, I think my journey is coming to an end! :)

I started with an impulse purchase and have ended with my dream of having a head to head setup becoming a reality :)

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I would have loved to have read a thread like this when I first started and I'm hoping this helps others out there.

I'm sure one of the first questions will be how much or where did I purchase from?

I'll quickly answer those now :)

How much?

It cost 550 USD to purchase the unit BEFORE shipping :D :D, but since I got heaps of additional accessories (spare rectangular pieces from the control panel, spare side bezels from the CP, marquees, coin mech, brackets to rotate the monitor), it ended up costing closer to 650 USD

Shipping costs will vary depending on where it's going. It cost me an additional 700 USD to get it to my door (I went with a company that provided door to door service, so I didn't have to worry about any of the things that one normally worries about when importing via sea ie. Shipping to port, document fees, taxes/duties, brokerage fees, freight forward fees, delivery to your house from port - normally will be a lift tail gate truck etc).

Who did you purchase from?

I went with WanMo

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 0.0.OXfmOm

I pretty much contacted everyone I could on Alibaba and found A LOT of the suppliers are pretty much the same. Some varied in price quite substantially from my research eg some quoted me 900 USD for one complete unit. Some just don't want to send 1 unit as it's not worth their time.

For me personally, the experience I had with WanMo and their sales rep Crystal was fantastic and I'd recommend them

How long did the process take?

About 7.5 weeks for me. Payment was made December 1 and I received my cabinet on the 15th of January.
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

Awesome setup! Did this second unit come new or used from the seller?
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Post by zumbito »

One silly question. Those chinese amps have only left and right output, how do you wire the four speakers?
About the led, how what connector does it use? I want to connect mine but need to buy the connector first.
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

mirkvid wrote:Awesome setup! Did this second unit come new or used from the seller?
Second unit came brand new from the seller - to the spec I requested
zumbito wrote:One silly question. Those chinese amps have only left and right output, how do you wire the four speakers?
I just daisy chained both left speaker positives and negatives into their respective sections in the amp. I did the same for the right speakers
zumbito wrote:About the led, how what connector does it use? I want to connect mine but need to buy the connector first.
I didn't bother with a connector. I just cut the wire connecting the fan and soldered on extra pieces of wires to connect the LED for the marquee.
meekgeek
Please Continue...
eBay: oaynujken
Initials: HJY

Post by meekgeek »

Awesome setup! Love ur dedication and skill!
I finally put a PC in mine for SFV.
But I'm no where near as skilled or hardworking as you are. I got lazy and used launchbox for front end with a china jamma to usb convertor for controls.
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Post by zumbito »

mRCaESaR wrote:
zumbito wrote:One silly question. Those chinese amps have only left and right output, how do you wire the four speakers?
I just daisy chained both left speaker positives and negatives into their respective sections in the amp. I did the same for the right speakers
Does it draw power from the jamma PSU, or it has its own PSU?
mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

Hey guys,

It's been a while! I haven't really touched the Chewlix in a while since I've gotten the Sega Astro City bug! (got working one for 600 and another for 150 wasn't working, a couple of hundred dollars later, I got it fixed and now I have two to play on 29 inch 15khz monitors!! And a dedicated "Tate" and "Yoko" cab)

Now that the both astro cities are working, I decided to go back to the Chewlix and make the admin buttons that I've prolonged for some time

I purchased 16mm anodised buttons as I wanted to fit 5 on the panel to act as the OPTIONS, L1, HOME, L2 TP Key buttons. I didn't need 24mm Sanwas since I wanted to try and "clean" look

Measured it up...

16mm spade drill bit..

As good as I can get without it being cut by a cnc

After redoing the control panel of the astro city, I became a fan of the TE AMP UP connectors, so I decided to use it for the admin buttons.

Added the extra wires to my original harness.

Didn't realise the TP_KEY section didn't have a spot in the terminal block, so that wire had to be soldered on

Both PCBS updated

How it looks on the control panel.

mRCaESaR

Post by mRCaESaR »

zumbito wrote:
mRCaESaR wrote:
Does it draw power from the jamma PSU, or it has its own PSU?
Sorry didn't see this question.

One Amp draws power from the Jamma PSU, another amp draws power through the power point (I had a normal power plug with a transformer 12v 3a IIRC)