CPS-II shells, can they be cleaned?

Coin-operated games and arcades.
segasonic91
Please Continue...
eBay: sonicsega99
Initials: AUS

CPS-II shells, can they be cleaned?

Post by segasonic91 »

I really hate the marks and discolouration on some of my CPS-II shells. Is there a method to clean them? Maybe something like the method used to de-yellow plastic?
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Re: CPS-II shells, can they be cleaned?

Post by geotrig »

they can be a bit brittle but yeah they can be cleaned with a bit of elbow grease, unless we are talking different types of marks ?

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

Like jizz? That comes off easy, as long as it’s not all up in its grills.
segasonic91
Please Continue...
eBay: sonicsega99
Initials: AUS

Post by segasonic91 »

crunchywasp wrote:Like jizz? That comes off easy, as long as it’s not all up in its grills.
Bwahahaha!!

Those black marks, both sort of blanket dark discolouration or the black marks that kind of look like scratches but aren't.

It reminds me of the horrible yellow colour of SuFami cases. I have tried windex and had no luck. Also tried alcohol, but was afraid of taking more of the green colour off.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Magic erasers / melamine sponge
Hrvat9
eBay: hrvaat

Post by Hrvat9 »

My green case had black permanent marker on it so I used iso alcohol and those areas got a bit brighter when the marker was gone. So I did the whole thing and it looks amazing
candy: Sega New Astro City x2, Sega Versus City (sold)
Seeeegggggaaaaaa
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Post by zumbito »

Mine have plenty of dark marks, like black goop or oil, haven´t tried anything yet, but doubt they can be cleaned, seems it went across through the plastic.
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

I do an initial clean with Fairy Liquid (other, more manly-sounding dish-washing detergents are available :fastlove:). I usually do this over the kitchen sink, taking care around the labels. The small serial number label can take a bit of water, but the large one should be avoided at all costs. I use a spare anti-static PCB brush with stiff nylon bristles to clean any dust and/or jizz residue from the vents.

The second stage is to use isopropyl alcohol and a cloth. Scrub off any black marks and grime which was not removed in the first stage. Most black marker pen can be eradicated in this way.

What this won't remove is any discolouration of the ABS plastic itself. Just like your C64/Amiga/SNES, these cases can start to discolour over time, although it's usually less noticable with CPS2 boards due to the colour of the plastic. I do see the odd green board which has begun to look patchy, but the problem seems more obvious in some blue boards. In spite of the darker colour, these can occasionally start to look rather muddy. I wouldn't advise using Retr0bright on coloured plastic, however, so this kind of discolouration might be something we just have to live with.
ImageImageImageImage