Convergence Strip Tips

For monitor related issues
kuze
Convergence Strip Tips

Post by kuze »

I was wondering if you folks have any tips for using convergence strips.

Let's say I have a rather major convergence issue in the upper left portion of the screen. Is there any rule of thumb for where a convergence strip will be most effective? How many are generally needed to fix one corner?

Should I start by adding one from that direction towards the yoke?

As long as I do not touch the anode cup, I shouldn't be electrocuted if I accidentally touch the back of the tube and/or yoke while it's on right?
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Re: Convergence Strip Tips

Post by yosai »

Post a pic before you start. If it's bad you probably want to adjust the purity rings.
PrincessPrinPrin
eBay: *mkl*
Initials: MKL

Post by PrincessPrinPrin »

Yes, post a pic (a grid, not a game). Strips don't do miracles, they have a minimal effect. If it's a flat tube there are dynamic convergence adjustments on the yoke. As for shocks, if the tabs where the horizontal yoke wires are soldered to are exposed (not insulated) stay away from them (1000V there).
kuze

Post by kuze »

Thanks guys. It definitely seems within the realm of something convergence strips could fix, at least from what I've seen on Youtube.

Let me know your thoughts:

It's an MS2930 monitor if that makes any difference. 8-)
Shadolf
eBay: 1984indigo

Post by Shadolf »

That looks like a case for strips, indeed. It's not that hard or complicated as long as one needs just one or two per corner. The problem is with a 29" in a cab you need to be two persons or use a mirror. I use always a rubber glove and I try to leave my left hand in my pocket all the time.

I have also a problem a little like this with a Sony Trinitron, but in this case had no luck with convergence strips and/or corner convergence tabs. When I have time I should make a thread.
DaveyD
eBay: Dr_Daph
Initials: DPD

Post by DaveyD »

I've had a 19" monitor worth convergence like that in the bottom left corner. Made some convergence strips myself and fitted them. Looked quite good afterwards
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

yes looks like two should do the job just fine
NoAffinity
eBay: noaffinity
Initials: CSG

Post by NoAffinity »

I would suggest starting with re-adjusting the existing strip (assuming there is only one currently) in that corner. If that doesn't get you where you need to be, then adding a strip would be your next step.

I always where nitrile gloves when working on electronics. I forget the mil size, I get a box of 100 for like $10 at the electronics store. A) It keeps grime, electronics dust, and other things off my skin - who knows what health hazards that 20-30 year old matter poses if absorbed through the skin, accidentally rubbed into various places, etc., and B) reduces shock hazard. Not that B should preempt a healthy abundance of caution being taken when working on a live monitor, but it's an added layer of protection.
kuze

Post by kuze »

Thanks guys. Do you think it will be possible to add the strips via the maintenance hatch on the Blast City? Or am I absolutely required to pull the monitor out again to do this?

I don't really have anyone to help me pull the monitor, so I'd rather leave it in if that's even doable.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Trying to do it through the maintenance hatch sounds like a recipe for disaster. I wouldn't try it.
rewrite
eBay: quin-leyd
Initials: ATP

Post by rewrite »

nem wrote:Trying to do it through the maintenance hatch sounds like a recipe for disaster. I wouldn't try it.
Seconded. Just put the cab on its back, and pull the monitor up. Way easier than trying to get it out over the CP. It's easy not hard, for one person :) .
kuze

Post by kuze »

Going to give this a go on Thursday with the help of a local CRT expert. Wish me luck! I'll post back with some after pics once the work is done.

The back of the monitor and the chassis is also very dusty. Should I hit it with a can of compressed air while we work on it?

He is going to bring over a rejuvenator as well and we might give that a go on the tube. I've also got a spare MS2933 chassis that could be installed in place of the 2930. Do you guys think that going ahead and doing a rejuvenation and chassis swap is advisable? The autosync feature of the 2933 and OSD service level adjustments are appealing and from what I was told by the seller it's a NOS chassis. On the other hand the existing chassis is mostly calibrated except for focus and the corner convergence issue.

I believe the heater resistor on the 2933 chassis would have to be swapped out for use on a 2930 tube, but I've got the correct replacement (2.2ohm) that grendelrt used with great results.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

The picture is great. Give the tube a clean, fix the corner, leave it alone until it breaks.
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

Yeah, I agree, no need for a rejuvenator.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Third'ing the sentiment here - do NOT rejuve it. Rejuve is good for restoring a tube that is suffering from dull colors, after a cap kit and any other efforts have not produced the desired result. But, there are also risks with rejuvination - the worst of which is you kill the tube. In your case, the colors look great, don't risk killing the tube needlessly.
kuze

Post by kuze »

Thanks again guys! Will pass on the rejuve, fix that corner and adjust the focus a bit then I should be in great shape!

Will post back with the results tomorrow.
kuze

Post by kuze »

Good news! We got the convergence looking much better, as well as the focus perfectly tuned and I'm quite happy with the results.

NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Looks great! :) :thumbup: