How to remove speaker grills surround from Astro City?

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
FcoBenitez
Please Continue...
eBay: virtuacl
Initials: KBL

How to remove speaker grills surround from Astro City?

Post by FcoBenitez »

Guys, Im in the process of restoring an Astro and I need to remove the 'marquee' which holds the speaker grills, under the green illuminated panel.

It has one bolt at each side, but I assume its also glued to the main body. Has anybody succesfully removed it? I think I need to use a heat gun but Im not completely sure, being that the acrylic 'marquee' part is impossible to find spares and everything :oops:

Thanks in advance
2X Sega Aero City
Stompp
Please Continue...
eBay: uridium
Initials: DAD

Re: How to remove speaker grills surround from Astro City?

Post by Stompp »

They're glued with some padded double sided tape (don't know the correct term). I've used a thin hobby blade to cut through them on my cabs. Once you've got one end loose you can bend the surround out ever so slightly and the further you cut the easier it gets. The tough part is removing the goo from the parts afterwards :mad:

The tiny marquee between the speakers - don't try to remove it unless you really have to. It's also glued and the print is easy to ruin. If you're planning on painting the surround just mask the marquee well.
FcoBenitez
Please Continue...

Post by FcoBenitez »

Thanks Stompp. That was my fear, because I think I need to remove the marquee (with the Aero Dynamic Shape text), because the paint directly under the marquee is flaking and so I need access to that part for Sanding and then priming.

Will have to think about a different solution, as ruining the marquee is not an option :oops:
2X Sega Aero City
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame
eBay: air_fortless
Initials: ACM

Post by AeroCityMayor »

If it helps, I took mine off very, very slowly with the help of a hair dryer.
FcoBenitez
Please Continue...

Post by FcoBenitez »

Now I need to remove the 100yen sticker from the control panel surround :oops: can I trust a hairdryer/heat gun yo help remove it without causing creases or riping it apart?
2X Sega Aero City