CPS2 Fault

PCB problems and fixes
ninjawyatt
Please Continue...
eBay: ninjawyatt

CPS2 Fault

Post by ninjawyatt »

I have a problem trying to play CPS2 games. The monitor displays a black picture with fuzzy lines - very similar to a display that you would see years ago on your home console, if you hadn't tuned it into a channel.

Last time I played a game (last week) everything booted fine, but for sometime there has occasionally been an absence of sound upon initial start up of the machine, even though everything was switched on. I would initially check the sound options (which were always on), then the sound would be working upon exiting the motherboard options/test menu.

The fault is the same with all games, which suggests the games are fine.

I have disconnected the mother board and reconnected it - fault still present. I have wiggled the wires - no change to display. I gave the game/motherboard combo a heavy handed tap - which appeared to react with the flickers on screen.

I'm thinking a faulty motherboard? If so, is there a fix? Because it's my only one :(

Thanks for looking.
'You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance'
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Re: CPS2 Fault

Post by Asayuki »

You can start by having a good look at the soldering joints on the motherboard. As it seems like the CPU is not running, you might want to check the reset line which is very easily done with a multimeter. To rule out the monitor you can try some other jamma board and see if the picture is stable on screen.
Also check your power supply; maybe it just died.
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

You only have one A-BOARD?

It's very uncommon where I live unmatched boards. I for example have a complete A+B set for each single CPS2 unit I own. No spare "carts".
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

leonardoliveira wrote:You only have one A-BOARD?

It's very uncommon where I live unmatched boards. I for example have a complete A+B set for each single CPS2 unit I own. No spare "carts".
Pretty much as you say... As far as I am aware, CPS2 kits in South America were mostly (perhaps always?) sold as A and B board pairs only.

Elsewhere, B-board only kits were sold in significant numbers, thus B-board quantity far exceeds that of A-boards. Indeed, the B-board to A-board ratio in my own collection is about 5:1.

ninjawyatt, sorry I don't have any further advice for you. Can you post a picture of the fault? It might indeed be worth getting hold of another A-board.
ImageImageImageImage