I found an alternative for Naomi 2 CPU fan replacements

PCB problems and fixes
rkrenicki
Please Continue...
eBay: krenfam

I found an alternative for Naomi 2 CPU fan replacements

Post by rkrenicki »

I recently acquired a Naomi 2 GD-ROM setup from Japan for cheap. The board was pretty well caked in smoke and of course had shot fans. After looking around and deciding that $25 was way too much to spend on a fan (nevermind needing two), I figured I would try some other alternatives. It turns out that most 40mm 5v fan with a tach sense wire will fit inside the heatsink, and there are plenty of quiet alternatives out there.

Behold, the Sunon KDE0504PFV3! This is a nearly silent MagLev series fan that meets all of the needs of the CPU fan. They can be found on eBay for $7/ea (link below)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271286426922

Now, these fans do not have the tach wire on them, but they do have the tach sensor. I took the wiring off the original fans and soldered them to the new fans, and they screwed right in with the original screws. Just make sure that you take the washer/spacer out.

After everything, the board is dead silent, and did not overheat even after several hours of it running.

I am also looking for a cheap alternative fan for the Naomi 1, as these are slightly too small to work. I will follow up when I find something for that board.
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Re: I found an alternative for Naomi 2 CPU fan replacements

Post by Asayuki »

IMHO it would be useful to keep this post in the repair logs on the wiki...
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
mookie3three
Please Continue...
eBay: adoe546

Post by mookie3three »

Thanks for posting this. The one you have linked to doesn't ship to Australia. To find a suitable fan what exactly am I looking for?

Ie: 40mm fan, 5v, needs 3 wires? What about mounting hole distance and size?

Cheers
rkrenicki
Please Continue...

Post by rkrenicki »

mookie3three wrote:Thanks for posting this. The one you have linked to doesn't ship to Australia. To find a suitable fan what exactly am I looking for?

Ie: 40mm fan, 5v, needs 3 wires? What about mounting hole distance and size?

Cheers
It seems that most standard 40mmx10mm fans that are 5 volt and have a tach sensor available should be okay. As long as the external dimensions are not too big to fit inside the heatink, which the Sunon Maglev fans are of an appropriate size. As for those fans, It looks like the KDE series fans have been replaced with the ME series. As such, the new part number for this fan is ME40100V1. It is available with two and three wire. The three wire seems to be harder to find, but the sensor is there on both. the KDE fan that I used was the same way, so I soldered the three pin NAOMI pigtail to the fan.

For Australia, it looks like Digikey.com.au has the ME40100V1-000U-A99 in stock.
KmanSweden
KmanSweden
eBay: KmanSweden
Initials: PKK

Post by KmanSweden »

Up the Irons!
rkrenicki
Please Continue...

Post by rkrenicki »

Yes, but at 17 Euros, it is nearly $20 USD before shipping. This is a more efficient and longer lasting fan for about 1/3 of the price.
mookie3three
Please Continue...

Post by mookie3three »

I ended up getting some from Aliexpress http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sunon-SU ... 02935.html

All the other options I found including the ones you posted, the shipping killed it. Aliexpress was free shipping and $6.21 US.

Thanks for you help.

Cheers
lacanian
Please Continue...

Post by lacanian »

Thanks for the post and finding the links. Another 2 fans to be delivered to Australia!

Looking forward to what fans work well with Naomi 1.
mookie3three
Please Continue...

Post by mookie3three »

I got sent the wrong model fan. Does anyone know if I can solder the third wire somewhere on this fan? What am I looking for?

Otherwise I will just order some from another seller.
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

By experience, fans without the third wire typically lack the tachometer IC inside. Also, reaching inside to the PCB requires you to disassemble the spindle. There is a high chance that your fans will start rattling once reassembled. I suggest you go for the replacement if it's still possible.
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
rkrenicki
Please Continue...

Post by rkrenicki »

The fans that I bought do not have the third wire either, I soldered the original Naomi fan tails to the exposed solder pads.

That being said, it looks like the solder pads for that fan are not exposed :( Without either disassembling the fan or breaking plastic bits off.. you are going to be out of luck. Also, those are ball bearing fans instead of vapo bearing "maglev" fans. If I had ordered a Maglev, and received a Ball bearing fan.. I would be quite annoyed.
mookie3three
Please Continue...

Post by mookie3three »

Just thought I'd let everyone know, I haven't had any luck getting the correct fan from Aliexpress. Two sellers so far have sent me the wrong fans each time. I have received refunds each time. I'm just going to buy the fan off ebay which is more expensive, or get http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171494817155 ... EBIDX%3AIT, or try these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252129031227 ... EBIDX%3AIT

It's kinda frustrating as it usually takes a month to receive the items from China, then if it's wrong another month to get it from someone else.

Hopefully one of these works out.
acblunden2

Post by acblunden2 »

Any luck on finding the NAOMI 1 equivalent yet?
Mokum
Please Continue...
eBay: noizer2k3
Initials: MKM

Post by Mokum »

Despite their price, are these the fans I need for my Naomi 2? These got 2 wires so they'll require some soldering, is it correct?
Do these with 3 wires need some soldering too?

Googling tip: when looking for them the ME40100V1-000U-A99 code is about the 2 wires version while the code ME40100V1-000U-G99 is the 3 wires one ;)
alienmame wrote:Christ on a bike man
landisama
eBay: cameliacomicfan
Initials: AND

Post by landisama »

This post helped me so much in reviving a Naomi unit that gave an error message 10 seconds after turning it on. I changed the fans and it now works wonders. Thanks !!