Sanwa PFX - Compatible tubes?

For monitor related issues
Asure
eBay: asure_nl

Sanwa PFX - Compatible tubes?

Post by Asure »

Got a scratch on mine, and geometry isn't that great. The perfectionist in me would like to swap the tube. I'm reading up and it seems the vga-only 29e31 tubes may be a match? What are the experts' opinions?
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Sanwa PFX - Compatible tubes?

Post by grantspain »

only way you will get a good match is another pfx tube
the chassis will run on many different tubes,getting the convergence perfect will prove difficult if not impossible
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Post by Devil Soundwave »

Wonder what happened to all the CRT tube making equipment etc when the factories closed down... :think:
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

Devil Soundwave wrote:Wonder what happened to all the CRT tube making equipment etc when the factories closed down... :think:
The same thing that happened to arcade cabinets once they weren't necessary anymore I fear... with the added issue that such machinery is probably big and cumbersome to move/relocate. :( Maybe it could be a nice kickstarter project to create a factory that will produce tons of spare parts. Who knows if it'd get founded?
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Post by Devil Soundwave »

Not likely unfortunately. I did read about at least one Tube manufacturer (may have been Chungwa) that sold their manufacturing equipment on to a company in India, but the Indians couldn't do much with it as, despite training, as the job is one that takes quite a lot of time to master.
Asure

Post by Asure »

To answer my own question, i present the following:

29PFX comes with a Chungwa flat tube, A68AKY13X501, single focus. (And pretty damn good picture if i might say.)
From this topic, it seems the Rodotron 666A-29PSF works with this tube.
Tubes compatible are listed for the Rodo:
CH-666A-29PSF
Yoke values: LH:0.32mH, LV:14.4mH (Need to ohm out my own tube to be sure.).
From these values we can see a lot of compatible tubes for this chassis. Ms9, 29E31 tubes etc. Possibly even the PM1745

Toshiba A68LTF356X With Dy (TDY-5294A)
ORION A68QFD290x032
Samsung A68QCP893x001
Thomson FEG A68ELA011x121
HITACHI A68MAY70x90(CR)
Chunghwa A68AKY13x503AN

A service manual for a TV found me these other tubes too. “A68KTB359X001(B) P38(OEC) “A68AKY13X04V(CPT), "A68QBC230X09(LG)” A68QCU770X58 P38(LG)”

Offcourse, the tube needs to be flat to ensure 100% perfect images. But there's a lot to adjust in the service menu of this chassis.

Tubes are to be found in DAEWOO, NEC and JVC 4:3 televisions. European standard 68CM.
You can check the service manuals if you know the exact TV model and usually it will list the tube(s) that are used in the TV.
I figured this might be good to know, as tubes & monitors are getting harder to come by, and people are shelling out 900+ for a decent 29" tv these days.

Myself, i still need a flat tube to swap out my scratched one. But i hope to find a suitable donor tv soon :)
monouchi
Polishing his shaft
eBay: monouchi_jn
Initials: BUS

Post by monouchi »

That is some great info. Thanks!
Asure

Post by Asure »

You're welcome!

I think it's some sort of well-kept secret, that many tubes are compatible. Even if all the info is out there.
If you get a usefull chassis, like a MS9, it can drive many tubes. Only for some of the models like a PM1745 tube the Lh is 0.405 mH versus normally 0.300-0.350.
I have this combo working fine on an Orion tube, but it required HS limit adjustment, and bit tweaking of the pincushion to get things perfect.

For trisync and 'wierd stuff' like the later Blast models with MS293x it's much more difficult.

I'm off hunting for old 29" (68CM) tv's now..

Edit: Scored a A68KVM74X02 to go with my 29E31 in a Samsung tv for free! W00p!
Last edited by Asure on December 23rd, 2016, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sp33dFr34k
eBay: 3d_collector

Post by Sp33dFr34k »

Awesome find, good luck with the hunt! :)
Asure

Post by Asure »

Ordered an LCR meter today just to be sure i'm not going to destroy anything :)