HD Cabinets, Vewlix etc

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Dache

Re: HD Cabinets, Vewlix etc

Post by Dache »

This is probably **** sacrilege on this forum, but I may as well ask...

Does anyone know of anyone/anywhere in the UK that does decent Vewlix clones? Specifically if they're wired for consoles (360/PS4) and of really good build quality.

I'm looking for my workplace, as the boss is willing to get a cab for the office, but he's dead-set against MAME PCs for legality reasons, and once we explain JAMMA multigame boards to him he won't be up for those either. I'd love a candy cab because they're fab, but the office has had a CRT cab in the past and when it died, it got chucked (this was before I joined). If we're going for HD consoles, might as well jump to LCD.

Obviously we could get a proper Vewlix from Mo or something and get converters for console input, but I'm concerned about parts sourcing and fixing it if something goes wrong, especially if I'm not around and the IT guys have to sort it themselves. They won't know about sourcing and replacing a Vewlix LCD and it'd be expensive. However, they'd be fine taking the back cover off of a clone cab and replacing a TV-LCD frame with another model. Plus if we're just going to use consoles on it, it makes sense for it to be wired for them from the get-go rather than converting a legit cab (which is something I'd prefer not to be responsible for).

I've found a bunch of LCD-based cabs available from various UK suppliers, but they're not great or exactly suitable for various reasons. (Ideally, I'd like a Vewlix-style sitdown.) The closest I've seen is this thing by some company I've never heard of called "Kase-Eo", but the website looks dodgy as ****, there's no mention of what it supports game-wise and the pictures are so low res and **** that I can't tell if they're photoshops or whatever, and it just looks all off. Expensive too, but this isn't my money so I'm less bothered by that :hinthint:

Anyone got any suggestions?
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

Kase-Eo Viewlike :lolno:

And I thought Kraylixes were bad. Putting a Viewlike in your office could cost you your job.

Neo Legend do clones which they'll customise and provide a warranty for but they're more expensive than a good used Vewlix, in France and not available til November.

http://neo-legend.com/home-vizion.php

I'd say a Vewlix is actually your best bet. They're easy to work on and even disassemble if you have to plus it's really easy to put a PS3 or 360 in them without hacking at any wires or anything.
Dache

Post by Dache »

That looks pretty nice actually... Expensive, but like I said, I'm not paying for it, I just have to convince someone else to. ;)

I understand what you're saying about getting a Vewlix and it being easy to work on, but the issue is that I don't want to work on it. If we were talking about a cab for my own use at home, that'd be fine. But I'm looking for a comes-complete-and-working solution so I don't need to position myself as being the main person responsible for it at work on top of my current non-arcade-cab tasks.

Aside from that, I'd still be wary of getting a Vewlix because of the parts issues. You've got to remember, we're all okay because getting parts for candy cabs over here is about making personal connections on forums like this one and going through private sales with other enthusiasts, which I'm obviously happy to do in a personal capacity.

But for an IT tech in a company, if they can't find a way to RMA something or get hold of a part through a company/corporate connection, they aren't going to bother, unless it's very easy like replacing a TV LCD panel or a button. This isn't applicable to Vewlix parts - Taito aren't easy to get hold of if you aren't Japanese - so if the cab broke, it'd likely stay that way (unless I stepped in, but I'm trying to consider situations where I'm not there), and I'd rather that not happen. Neo Legend aren't going anywhere though.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

It's not very likely you will need to change the LCD anytime soon. As long as it is working when you buy it should be good for a long time.
Dache

Post by Dache »

It's still going to require some re-wiring for the controls, which I'm not prepared to do unless there's some literal plug-and-play solution for connecting a 360 to a Vewlix.

I know I'm making this difficult, but I'm adamant about this - I don't want to do any tinkering or re-wiring of any kind. I don't want the responsibility for a machine that ultimately isn't mine. This is why I'm not looking for a 'legit' cab but something purpose-built that we can just throw a 360 into, plug it in and have it working.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

I've heard legends of such things called "consoles"... :think:
Emulation's nice when done well
Dache

Post by Dache »

Great, very helpful, thanks :problem:
Nostromo
Please Continue...
eBay: Everblue1974
Initials: CON

Post by Nostromo »

Sorry to bump an old thread, but are there any HD cabinets which do not have the "you are ruined if the monitor dies on you" problem? It is all fun and games with a Vewlix, but just wait for that day the monitor doesn't switch on. Affordable replacement monitors would be nice I guess (even if it is not 0 ms lag).
Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Post by Jan »

There is no 0ms Screen.
ain't got no realestateorjewelryoranyofthat
Shadolf
eBay: 1984indigo

Post by Shadolf »

Is reaction time and lag the same on LCD monitors? I just recently saw some 4K Monitor with 1ms (34") reaction time and thats the fastes I've ever seen. 2ms (was 27") was the fastes I personaly had and my current one has 4ms (is 32").
Would be nice to have a HD-cab one could place one of those 4K monitors into. Yes, the resolution only makes sense when you want to play consles/PC but never saw a full hd monitor/tv with the reaction time 1ms. Could also be nice for people using mame with shaders and stuff for nice scanline emulation.
What is the best and nicest looking hd cab to put a pc monitor into? Screen rotation would also be nice.
Nostromo
Please Continue...

Post by Nostromo »

I think you can only put an open frame monitor inside any arcade monitor, including those with LCD, the problem is that there doesnt seem to be a standard for these to fit :(
Jan
EU trade negotiator

Post by Jan »

1ms is g to g , not Input lag. 4K in a Cab for what ?
Nostromo
Please Continue...

Post by Nostromo »

Yeah, 1080p is more than enough, and in most cases even just a 720p will do.
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

Yes, as I said, no need for 4K in a cab, exept when there is reduced lag or one wants to use it for PC/Console games.
Is there a way to find out what Monitor has the minimal lag, without buIng and finding out yourself?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Shadolf wrote:Is there a way to find out what Monitor has the minimal lag, without buIng and finding out yourself?
http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag

Unfortunately, the site is US centric. For instance Vizio is not available in Europe.
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

nem wrote:
Shadolf wrote:Is there a way to find out what Monitor has the minimal lag, without buIng and finding out yourself?
http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag

Unfortunately, the site is US centric. For instance Vizio is not available in Europe.
That´s nice, thanks. This is only for TV´s right? Is there something similar for monitors?
And is there a major difference between TV´s and monitors regarding playing video games and lag?
Always thougth monitors are better for gaming!?
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Good point. I forgot most 32" screens are monitors these days.
neogeomeister
eBay: neogeomeister

Post by neogeomeister »

I don't linke Neo Lengend because you get no relplay of any of you questions if you will order any stuff.
I want to buy stools an other stuff but never get any feedback!
If they not will send outside of France ok but no feedback!?!?
landisama
eBay: cameliacomicfan
Initials: AND

Post by landisama »

I don't understand this Viewlix excessive love. Each time HD cabinets are mentioned, people mention how cool the Viewlix is (but sadly too expensive). In my opinion Lindbergh is the nicer cabinet and it is much cheaper if you want to have one at home. Maybe I am losing something from sight. Can somebody explain why the Viewlix is the cabinet of choice instead of the Lindbergh when it comes to HD cabinets?
Jan
EU trade negotiator

Post by Jan »

Matter of Taste. Further the Rev.1 Screen in the Lindys have no zoom/fill Option and the Tosh Screens used in the Lindy tend to make one or the other Problems. If you find a good working Rev.2, the Lindy is a very goopd cab, not a Chance i would part with mine. Big plus, the Panel has the correct hight on the Lindy and Noir , while the Panels on the Vewlix are a bit higher than your usual candy cab.