NOW FIXED Lindbergh Yellow low sound level

PCB problems and fixes
Brettster

NOW FIXED Lindbergh Yellow low sound level

Post by Brettster »

I've just picked up a Lindbergh Yellow with VF5 its running ok but the sound is very low, I need to turn up my vewlix amp almost to full to hear anything
I have the lead to the amp connected to the white and red RCA connectors on the sound card. is there some internal sound levels that can be altered? dip settings etc?

* Here's how I Fixed it*

I swapped the op amps over (3 x 8 pin surface mount JRC 4556 A519 IC's), IC5 to IC7
these could be replaced but I didn't have any spare new ones and its unlikely I'll be using this in surround sound mode so I swapped the two tiny chips over as per the arrows in the pic
Lindy Sound Fix1.jpg
They are very small and fiddly so dont try this if its your first time soldering :awe:
Lindy Sound Fix2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Brettster on April 24th, 2016, 9:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Looking for More Space!
Brettster

Re: Lindbergh Yellow low sound level

Post by Brettster »

Is there a PC sound card equivalent that works ok in the Lindy? looks like a basic PC creative labs card!!
Looking for More Space!
grantspain
Tech Head

Post by grantspain »

i imagine you have adjusted the volume in test
Brettster

Post by Brettster »

grantspain wrote:i imagine you have adjusted the volume in test
It would make sense that would be the issue but I cannot see any sound levels in test mode
There is a sound test option for the 5 channels but not volume level
Other than the output being very quiet it's working perfectly
Looking for More Space!
tinchen3112

Post by tinchen3112 »

As far as i know this is a custom Soundcard which creative build for sega.
i´ve tried already half of a dozen other common creative soundcards, even the Audigy 4 which has the same soundchip like the lindy one, but sadly no one of these work.
Brettster

Post by Brettster »

Thanks Frank
I have an audigy 2 in the loft and I was going to venture up there to give it a test, but you saved me the trouble now :lol:
Looking for More Space!
purplec

Post by purplec »

Andy is selling these soundcards for a reasonable enough price
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

tinchen3112 wrote:As far as i know this is a custom Soundcard which creative build for sega.
i´ve tried already half of a dozen other common creative soundcards, even the Audigy 4 which has the same soundchip like the lindy one, but sadly no one of these work.
VID(Vendor ID)/PID(Product ID) must be different (EEPROM)... Or at least the PID surely is different. So no brainer a standard retail card will never work there.
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer »

leonardoliveira wrote:
tinchen3112 wrote:As far as i know this is a custom Soundcard which creative build for sega.
VID(Vendor ID)/PID(Product ID) must be different (EEPROM)... Or at least the PID surely is different. So no brainer a standard retail card will never work there.

Actually the monta vista kernel supports most EAX PCI Creative sound cards, but Sega are using a custom EEprom firmware, if you take the Audigy 4 value, and reflash the eeprom with the Sega one, it works.
Say hello to my little friend...
Brettster

Post by Brettster »

What's involved with flashing the eeprom on the audigy 4 card? Command line from Windows or desoldering the chip?
Looking for More Space!
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer »

Brettster wrote:What's involved with flashing the eeprom on the audigy 4 card? Command line from Windows or desoldering the chip?
Removing and flashing
Say hello to my little friend...
tinchen3112

Post by tinchen3112 »

@ Andy
thx for the Tip!
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

Basically, the driver binary used on the SEGA stuff here is programmed to require a very specific PID/VID since it's part of the protection. There's no firmware on the EEPROM, just the information the driver uses to know the capabilities of the card.

Basically it tells the sound card driver the card model so the driver knows what physical connectors the card have installed and will adjust it's behavior based on it.
Similar to how nvidia video cards present themselves to the driver with different sub model IDs which locks or unlocks features on the video driver.

On this case, since it's a embedded system with a very specific use, the driver is programmed to run on a "all or nothing" basis... So, wrong PID/VID? No dice... :lol:
Brettster

Re: NOW FIXED Lindbergh Yellow low sound level

Post by Brettster »

Just a quick update to this issue, I managed to fix my Sega Lindbergh sound card by swapping out the Op Amps
Basically there are 3 x 8 pin surface mount JRC 4556 A519 IC's
as I'll not be using the sound with a sub/centre speaker I swapped the one at the top with the one at the bottom
Now have lovely loud stereo sound :)
it's a fiddly job with only a soldering iron but as long as you have a steady hand and some basic skills you can do it

Just need to bake my graphics card now as that's showing odd artefacts, or random missing 3D graphics :(
Looking for More Space!
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Post by Pete »

Impressive fix :-o 8-)
amaoto
Please Continue...
eBay: 00

Post by amaoto »

I know it's been a while, but if someone is looking for this information:

This sound card uses VEN_1102&DEV_0008. When plugged in a regular Windows 8.1 system, it is recognized as an Audigy 2, Windows downloads the driver automatically and at least the analog output (RCA) does work. The level is quite low. I haven't measure it, but it sounds just like normal line level you would get on hi-fi equipment (when the volume is turned up to 100% in Windows).

So if it's only about VEN and DEV (but I don't think so), some of Creative's regular cards should also work. The same hardware ID is used for different Audigy 2, 4, and (all?) professional E-MU cards.
Flyingfistofbudha
eBay: Daniels4249
Initials: Dan

Post by Flyingfistofbudha »

so i’m close to buying the audigy 4 or 2

just to try in the lindy to see if they work