stri9ker
Please Continue...
eBay: yeschap
Initials: pal

Gunbird pcb not working

Post by stri9ker »

Hi all,

Purchased a Gunbird pcb from ebay and it arrived today ,

I fired it up on my friends Cab and have the problem you can see in the pics with messed up graphics , sound seems ok though .

Any advice ,can it be fixed or is it best to send it back and get a refund ?

Cheers guys for any help.
WP_20160317_17_11_34_Pro.jpg
WP_20160317_17_11_22_Pro.jpg
WP_20160317_17_11_03_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Asure
eBay: asure_nl

Re: Gunbird pcb not working

Post by Asure »

Most likely one of the square custom ic's has some leg(s) that came loose. If sold 100% working, refund. If you cannot repair that, refund.
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

It's difficult to tell from the pictures if the defect is easy to fix or not. It looks like an addressing issue or an EPROM sitting in the wrong slot or not making contact, but without at least an investigation attempt you won't know.
If you are incline to send it back and get a refund then you can't afford the time to investigate properly before filing the complaint (provided the seller takes the board back in the first place... typically nobody accepts a return).
If you have never fixed boards before and don't know any friend who can quickly have a good look at it, the only things I would suggest are the following:

1) A very good look around, with a lens, top and bottom, looking for broken traces, loose joints, smashed parts, solder drops possibly short circuiting stuff around, and most important signs of other repair attempts like fresh solder joints and remnants of flux. If somebody has already attempted to fix it (and obviously failed) then it's probably too difficult for you unless you are an expert.
2) Carefully remove and reseat each component or cable that has a socket.
3) Have a look at this thread and see if there is anything else you feel confident checking by yourself quickly. http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21614
4) If none of the above helps then you should seriously consider shipping it back if it still gets accepted.

Good luck! ;)
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
stri9ker
Please Continue...

Post by stri9ker »

Thanks Asure and Asayuki for the advice :thumbup:

I had a message back from the seller of the P.C.B and he said he knew about this problem , he fixed it by pressing down on the smd chip bottom right corner of P.C.B.

The seller is being very helpful and will refund If I am not happy and the game is still faulty .

I will try this tomorrow and let you know how I get on ,Fingers crossed its a simple fix , I need to play this game :awe:

Thanks guys

Stri
Asayuki
Please Continue...

Post by Asayuki »

If that is the case, then reflowing the chip will probably cure the issue. Permanent pressure will not be a solution. To reflow the chip you need to know what you are doing, otherwise you risk damaging the board beyond repair.
My 15kHz cabinet Peplos will never power up, with any item, and I am quite proud of that.
stri9ker
Please Continue...

Post by stri9ker »

Asayuki wrote:If that is the case, then reflowing the chip will probably cure the issue. Permanent pressure will not be a solution. To reflow the chip you need to know what you are doing, otherwise you risk damaging the board beyond repair.
I got some money back from seller so the game owes me about £70 now , I've been strangley enough resting the PCB over something so the middle of the board takes the weight and it seems to work ok ,if I do move it though the sprites get messy again.

So on the positive side I can play Gunbird properly now well at least until I can be bothered to get a permanent fix anyway :)

The board is mint btw - No repairs or soldering anywhere .

Thanks chaps