Cabs in the Garage vs Winter

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Cabs in the Garage vs Winter

Post by Jan »

so , i will start to turn my Garage into a gaming room soon and i`m a bit worried about the winter.

the Garage is a wooden construction, i will use foil, insulation wool, foil and finally sheetrock. The Floor is screed and concrete.

thou it will probably still get pretty cold inside in the winter.

will this be a Problem for crt cabs ?
ain't got no realestateorjewelryoranyofthat
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Re: Cabs in the Garage vs Winter

Post by cools »

The cold isn't a problem, but condensation on the glass when the cabs warm up is. Don't switch them on when cold, let the room warm up for a few hours first.
Jan
EU trade negotiator

Post by Jan »

i was considering a small Radiator, but that will o fcourse be a rather large Investment :/
muddymusic

Post by muddymusic »

I'd recommend a good dehumidifier over a radiator as it will dry and warm the air. In the winter I put mine on a medium setting and leave it on.
Repro artwork supplier, pm or visit http://www.arcadeartshop.com
Jan
EU trade negotiator

Post by Jan »

which one do you use ?

thx
Paulie
Opens wallet, moths fly out
eBay: retro-paulie
Initials: PSG

Post by Paulie »

Dehumidifiers are very good providing you buy a good one. Be aware that they have their limitations though, this is due to a couple of factors, temp and size of space. Both of these limitations should be specified in the tech specs. I have one which was expensive but has been worth every penny although I don't currently use it in my garage as ATM it's cab free.

I have a triple garage with a workshop extension, its uninsulated and has a metal roof and in winter it's freezing in there TBH not really noticeably different to outside. Although my dehumidifier still worked in there it did so very poorly in comparison to the warmer months. It would be too costly for me to heat my garage due to it being such a large space but if you can then it would be best to raise the temperature a little then your dehumidifier should work at an optimum. One of those small oil filled plug in rads should work well in a smaller space, I also have one of those rads and they are also great and cost very little.

As others have said cold is ok but condensation is a killer. The cold shouldn't be problematic to your cabs as long as you don't use them until they've warmed up. Personally I've stored cabs in my current freezing garage and in my previous brick built single garage with no issues whatsoever although I must say they weren't turned on until spring as I was always a little nervous of damaging them due to condensation.
muddymusic

Post by muddymusic »

I have one of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EcoAir-Desiccan ... humidifier
It's a desiccant type so will work well in low temperatures unlike compressor ones.
purplec

Post by purplec »

Muddy

Do you have to replace anything with that or just empty the water?
muddymusic

Post by muddymusic »

Just empty the water, although you can attach a hose to run outside so you don't have to empty it.
Filter needs vacuuming once a month or so but that's all the maintenance it needs.
Paulie
Opens wallet, moths fly out
eBay: retro-paulie
Initials: PSG

Post by Paulie »

from the reviews that sounds like it could be ideal for Jan, muddy :thumbupright: As you point out desiccants have a lower optimum operating range, above 1C and compressors above 15C. I'd still try to maintain a reasonable temp if it's financially viable though, and not just for the dehumidifier, for comfort too.

I chose a compressor (mines an Ebac) due to the square footage. I required a high daily extraction rate/ speed removal, think its capable of extracting 20 or it might even be 30 litres per day. I'd highly recommend it for big spaces providing you are aware of its limitation.