What's the best mutli game Jamma PCB?

Coin-operated games and arcades.
OlDirty

What's the best mutli game Jamma PCB?

Post by OlDirty »

Hi all

I know collectors will kill me for that question :wtf: , but i would like to buy one of these for a few classic games. Unfortunately Donkey Kong, Bobble Bubble,.. are pretty expensive and i'm more in shmups genere. So I don’t wanna spend too much money just for a few classics I won’t play too much.
The Multi Game PCB should be a simple Jamma print ready for my Egret2. I once had a “2xxx in-one” Bartop machine and it just sucked because the games didn't play like the originals. The games should really play and look like the originals, otherwise I won’t buy one of these.

Games I would like to play:
Donkey Kong
Space Invaders (or kind of these)
Pac Man
Bubble Bobble
Bomb Jack
Mario Bros

It’s not a disaster if not all games are supported. Most important is that they play and look like the original.
planexcvs
eBay: came-hal

Re: What's the best mutli game Jamma PCB?

Post by planexcvs »

In all honesty, JPAC + PC w/ GroovyMame and CRT Emudriver.

All of the other xxxx-in-1 just don't have the overall accuracy. Some of the games will run accurately, though, then others either have some issue with frequencies, frame rates or poor sound.

For the games you listed? Maybe you won't have too many problems. I can't say for sure.
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

I've been toying with the idea of getting the 60 in 1, it contains a lot of the really old stuff and is meant to run them fairly well.

I've also eye'd up the 412 in 1 vertical too, but I get the impression that if you get a Jamma multi game type thing without some sort of system powering it, apart from the very old games it probably won't run very well.

I have (well its sold now), a Game Box thing on my old ok baby, and that is basically a DOS PC. To be honest it was pretty good, although I only used it very casually. No doubt had I spent serious time on the games, I perhaps would have noticed a lot more issues. -There were still a few games that seemed to suffer slowdown, but the vast majority were good.

At some point I will sort out a PC Mame setup, but as a Mac user, I will have to start again from the year 2000 to figure out how to do stuff on that platform. With hindsight I should have never sold my old Mac Mini (2009) when I got my new one, it ran everything I wanted vis Mac Mame and Mame OS X and I could have saved it for a Mame setup. Oh well.
rugdoctor
Please Continue...
Initials: KLM

Post by rugdoctor »

Your Egret2 deserves better...

I got the vertical 412 in 1 (something like that) which included some Cave games. For all intent and purposes, the game runs and the speed is "OK" but my main gripe with it is the refresh rate. The background graphics scrolls a couple milliseconds from the moving sprites, it is not an issue if you are playing it as an alternative to low spec PC mame and that is the crutch of it. Older shooters on the board exhibit less of this problem and I did enjoy some more obscure gems on it. My advice is to get one cheap from alibaba/aliexpress and try it bearing in mind you WILL bin it later on.
my website: http://kelvinsgamingheaven.blogspot.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mendel
Please Continue...
eBay: 81Mendel
Initials: PNM

Post by Mendel »

If you do have vertically oriented monitor (which you should have if you are into shmups) you likely won´t be disappointed with the 60-in-1 multigame pcb, it plays the old vertical games quite well indeed, it is cheap and it has most of the games you listed.

It does not have mario bros and no bubble bobble either though as those are horizontal games.
Narrowly Avoided Catastrophy owner´s club
ckong
Please Continue...

Post by ckong »

planexcvs wrote:In all honesty, JPAC + PC w/ GroovyMame and CRT Emudriver.
+1

All other solutions/multi PCB's are of less quality. Especially the 60 in 1 is not very good in emulating games, IMO. Missing sounds, inferior sounds.
trev1976

Post by trev1976 »

yeah you can build a cheap PC with GM these days ,mine is a E8400 ,4gb ram, 80gb HDD, HD4350 , since ive built mine it hasnt left the cab and i play it most days , i also play alot of console emulators on it too all at there original resolution .

Also if you like fighting games then install fightcade , i play that quite abit and its awesome for multi player ,again all in there original resolution so looks arcade perfect
Check out my "1cc" YouTube Channel
YouTube
mann0mann
Please Continue...
eBay: mikeytaramikey
Initials: DAD

Post by mann0mann »

Consider looking at the ArcadeSD. It will blow any of the multi-carts you've seen out of the water. Great menu. Great feature set. Gameplay is better than anything else available with little errors in the emulation.

Downsides is there is no monitor image flip function in software so you make have to flip yoke wires in your cab to display properly if it's upside down. It's expensive (relatively speaking, considering the game support it's not but compared to all other multi's it is) and it really only supports the "classics". But everything on your want list is playable.

http://www.phoenixarcade.com/ArcadeSD.htm
OlDirty

Post by OlDirty »

Thanks for all the input. What i'm looking for is really just a PCB with some old school games on it. So the 60 in 1 and ArcadeSD would be an option.
The video signal from the ArcadeSD is also over the Jamma connector? So plug and play with an Egret 2?
mastercello
eBay: mastercello
Initials: BUS

Post by mastercello »

369USD shipped to Europe is a little bit steep in my opinion, also a MAME Setup is not everybodys thing and it cost you also something (not only a lot of time installing and tweaking it).

As suggested before, try the 60 in 1 pcb, for most of the games you listed it works quite good.
And regarding the price (70USD) it is worth giving it a go in my opinion, if you're not happy with it sell it on on ricardo.ch or a swiss forum.
mann0mann
Please Continue...

Post by mann0mann »

OlDirty wrote:Thanks for all the input. What i'm looking for is really just a PCB with some old school games on it. So the 60 in 1 and ArcadeSD would be an option.
The video signal from the ArcadeSD is also over the Jamma connector? So plug and play with an Egret 2?
Plug and play.

Re: price I agree. It's hard to swallow. But the menu system, the boot time of the board at startup and the feature set of the settings all make the 60-in-1 tough to be a keeper in my eyes.
bloodhokuto

Post by bloodhokuto »

Welp,

I accidently bought the 412-in-1 vertical Game elf thing. - I accidently clicked when 1 click puchasing was enabled (and I don't remenber setting it up). :lolno:

Ah well, I will do a full review of it.

I know that there are a few reviews of the thing out there, but whatever I will do an 'EXCLUSIVE ARCADE OTAKU REVIEW'.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

:lolno:
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN »

For the games you want and the simplicity, the ArcadeSD is by far the most superior (apart from PC > Groovymame).
The 60 in 1 is ok, but uses very old mame code for the emulation. Everything is playable on the 60 in 1 but the sound is mainly sample based and sucks.

The ArcadeSD is a labour of love by the developers with all the drivers written from scratch. My one niggle with it (which is true of many multi boards) is that the girders on DK are red instead of Pink. I sold mine some time ago, so they could have been corrected by now but if that kind of thing bothers you, then it's good to be aware of it :)

[EDIT] It doesn't have bubble bobble though[/EDIT]
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

bloodhokuto wrote:Welp,

I accidently bought the 412-in-1 vertical Game elf thing. - I accidently clicked when 1 click puchasing was enabled (and I don't remenber setting it up). :lolno:
:lol: :palm:

The only way I would buy a multi-board would be by accident too :D
Ex_Mosquito
Please Continue...
Initials: MPS

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

I would stay away from all the emulation multiboards personally. From my experience there is ALWAYS an issue with them: laggy controls, shoddy frame rate, dodgy sound, screen tearing. I know a GrooveyMame setup can be a pain in the **** to wire up and get it all working nice with sound, frontend etc.. but it's really worth the extra effort. Alternatively you could buy one of these pre-made Groovy setups from a guy at Jamma+ He even has a low-powered one that runs off the Jamma PSU! Muddymusic has a video on his YT page that has one running and he says it runs excellent, and going by his gameplay skills I am confident he would spot any technical issues easily. Go get one! :)

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_ ... -cab-ready
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Whatever you do, if you're going down the GroovyMAME road - use Windows!

Linux has unavoidable input lag.
mann0mann
Please Continue...

Post by mann0mann »

bloodhokuto wrote:Welp,

Ah well, I will do a full review of it.

I know that there are a few reviews of the thing out there, but whatever I will do an 'EXCLUSIVE ARCADE OTAKU REVIEW'.
I owned one of these at one point a couple years ago, before I really had alot of exposure to shmups. I'd be curious to hear how you feel it plays on some of the Toaplan and Cave titles.
bloodhokuto

Post by bloodhokuto »

mann0mann wrote: I owned one of these at one point a couple years ago, before I really had alot of exposure to shmups. I'd be curious to hear how you feel it plays on some of the Toaplan and Cave titles.

I wish I could, but the flippin thing isn't working at the moment - it seems to have power (green led lit), but no picture.

I know that it was missing a Ground line on the end most Jamma connection, but after rigging up a test wire it still doesn't work.

Going to have a further look this evening, maybe 5v is too low - better get the old Franc-o-Meter out!
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN »

bloodhokuto wrote: I wish I could, but the flippin thing isn't working at the moment - it seems to have power (green led lit), but no picture.

I know that it was missing a Ground line on the end most Jamma connection, but after rigging up a test wire it still doesn't work.

Going to have a further look this evening, maybe 5v is too low - better get the old Franc-o-Meter out!
I had issues with the happy fish. Here is how I sorted it
http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=12864