Lesser known fighting games others ought to play

Coin-operated games and arcades.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Lesser known fighting games others ought to play

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

Something different for a change! Use this thread to promote fighting games you think don't get enough attention and get overshadowed by games that show up in everyone's list of favourite fighting games.

Here are examples of names that don't belong in this thread: Street Fighter, King Of Fighters, Garou, Guilty Gear, Tekken, Last Blade, etc ktp usw.

Please don't make a list. Instead contribute by telling others why they should play the game you love even if it has a bad reputation on the interwebz.

My first pick for a fighter that doesn't get enough attention is World Heroes Perfect. The game is so full of stuff you can pull off yet doesn't need to be taken seriously to have fun with it when you start playing. The game is very match up heavy like SF2, but it doesn't try to stick to the SF2 formula.

Here are some examples of the fresh approach the game has: You can crush projectiles with certain regular attacks, so you're not restricted to just jumping or blocking with a character that doesn't have a projectile. It's also possible to deflect a projectile by blocking at the very last moment. You can crush a guard with a specific attack unique to each character (it's a property of the attack, so it's not just used for guard crushes). There are character specific attributes like double-jumping (only the two ninjas can do it) and also character specific skills called ABC moves (you perform them just by pressing A+B+C). One guy can catch projectiles, one can parry, one can "fly", one fat **** charges his super meter, etc. Everyone has one and they're all different!

There are lots of other little nuances and quirks to the system when it comes to throws, backdashes, autoguard frames in moves, etc, but I don't want to go in too deep with the system here. Just play the damn game and remember to try out a few (better yet try them all) characters to see how different they all feel. The game is very casual/beginner friendly for newbies playing together, but a pro can completely destroy someone who doesn't know how the game works.

Here's a link to an article about the game if you're interested in that sort of stuff: http://shoryuken.com/2014/05/02/numbah- ... d-tuskdon/
Last edited by LEGENOARYNINLIA on October 13th, 2017, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emulation's nice when done well
TadCool
'Slayer'
eBay: Daicombo
Initials: RAF

Re: Lesser known fighting games others ought to play

Post by TadCool »

Nice one, TRK. :)

Fighter's History in a blast to have some fun. I particularly like how you have to hit a certain spot (accessory?) of each character a few times to make them dizzy. When you're playing buddies, you know they will go for that spot, so it's fun to protect you weakness and attack at the same time.

...and it's so easy to pull of the craziest combos. :awe:
Candy Cabs 4 Life.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

TadCool wrote:I particularly like how you have to hit a certain spot (accessory?) of each character a few times to make them dizzy. When you're playing buddies, you know they will go for that spot, so it's fun to protect you weakness and attack at the same time.
Yeah, that's a great dizzy system. It's guaranteed that you can get dizzied only once per round. :thumbupright:

If someone wants to check out FH don't judge it by the SNES/SFC version because some stuff in that port is wack.
cthulhu
eBay: cthulhu_nl
Initials: RIP

Post by cthulhu »

There are a couple of fighting games that come to mind.

Asura Blade/ Asura Buster: I love both these games a lot. The character designs are very good and graphics overall are very colorful and remind me of Capcom's CPS-2 games. For a three button game there are quite a lot of moves at your disposal and the controls are extremely responsive. Both are great fantasy themed fighting games.

Rabbit: Forget the Saturn port of this game, the original arcade version is way better from what I can see in movies I found on Youtube. The Saturn version seems to be lacking some character animation frames and the backgrounds lack ALL animation that's present in the original version...also the colors seems to be a bit dulled, but that can also be due to bad settings when recording ingame footage.
The game is quite good with a very deep and varied moveset. the graphics are extremely colorful, very detailed and the characters are sometimes pretty weird (I like weird characters in fighting games). The only problems I have with this game is that the controls feel a bit stiff and the backgrounds can be a little bit distracting.

Daemon Bride: One of my most favorite fighting games. Basically a mix of a more mature Arcana Heart with the Guilty Gear X series. Great character design (nice and weird at times). The controls are very responsive and again feels like a mix between Arcana Heart and Guilty Gear...lost of combos and flashy moves. Music is great as well.

Dragoon Might: A great fantasy themed fighting game from Konami. Nice character designs, very responsive controls and again quite a lot of mves at you disposal. One of the things I love most about this game is the atmosphere...the backgrounds and the fantastic music set a really great atmosphere in this game that in my opinion rivals Samurai Spirits in thta department. Especially the music from Tekkamen's stage...pure Konami goodness! People tend to underestimate the power of great music in games and this game does not disappoint.
My Arcade games

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"
Scaffa
Please Continue...
eBay: casimpson1985
Initials: CAS

Post by Scaffa »

Breakers Revenge is pretty awesome - really easy to pick up and get started with as well.

Last Blade 2 is less new-player friendly but it's one of the best looking games on the Neo Geo in my opinion.
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

I have a soft spot for Savage Reign (the prequel to Kizuna Encounter).

The graphics are great and colourful. It's quite fun to play. It has plane shifting and you can switch between weapons and hand to hand fighting.

It gets a lot of flack, not many people really like it, and much prefer it's more well known sequel.

The home cart IMO is very underpriced, it may well be the case that this game get's reviewed by a game reviewing site and then everyone will want it, and the cart won't be cheap again, although it will probably be kept under the radar, as it always has been.

fluxcore
Please Continue...

Post by fluxcore »

Fighting Layer, which has surprisingly enticing presentation, and pretty neat characters. It's a 3dish fighting game by Arika, known for the SFEX series (and it has several things in common with SFEX, including some characters).
dipindods
Please Continue...
Initials: har

Post by dipindods »

id have to so martial masters is a lesser known fighter and is really good. solid grafix and some really origanal charcters. some bad names but there is no ryu and ken type clone guys. only 1 charcter throws a fireball and its a girl.
fist of the north star for the atomiswave would be my second choice. again amazing graffix and really fun system to play. the addition of 1 hit kill moves is alot of fun. the anime the game comes from is good too but not well know in the US.
these are 2 fighting games that all my friends have never heard of.
Wurstkopp
Mister Dick Statue
eBay: nachmittagsprogramm
Initials: NIK

Post by Wurstkopp »

Blood Warrior from Kaneko - because it's both gory and weird. :D
Here's a great review:
http://superadventuresingaming.blogspot ... rcade.html

Kretinou
eBay: Perklorik
Initials: JIC

Post by Kretinou »

Kaiser Knuckles; I love it. :oops:

Vs are going fast.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

There's something charming about fighting games where the matches don't last long because of high damage. :thumbupright:
LorisBiaggi
Please Continue...
eBay: neominibox

Post by LorisBiaggi »

Wurstkopp wrote:Blood Warrior from Kaneko - because it's both gory and weird. :D
This :pointup:
I didn't want to be the first to mention this game, because i always was.
I also like many of the most obscure neogeo fighters, like Galaxy Fight, Voltage Fighter, Matrimelee, Karnov's Revenge and many more.
----------- Neo Mini Box -----------
LorisBiaggi
Please Continue...
eBay: neominibox

Post by LorisBiaggi »

...and Warzard/Red Earth, i love it!
----------- Neo Mini Box -----------
Sobriquet
Please Continue...
eBay: kaff_white

Post by Sobriquet »

Psikyo's Daraku Tenshi - because virtually the whole game is done with the tilemaps/background feature of the hardware, except for the hud which is done with the sprites - this is completely backwards and only doable because the hw do 7 layers and blending between them all.

Also, the scenery is more interactive/destructable than most and blends seamlessly in places - witness the lighting of the background flames on the characters.

It was supposedly made by disenfranchised ex-SNK folk iirc.

I also second Fuuki's Asura Blade/Buster, and not just because I emulated them :) - They're just fun to play and string combos together.
The raster effects are creative too.
jase

Post by jase »

Blood Warrior looks awesome, never heard of that one before. :D

I've been curious about Psikyo's Daraku Tenshi for a while. Some of the character art looks awesome. Wasn't it produced by some of the team behind King of Fighters? Is an extra button adapter required for the game?
Kretinou
eBay: Perklorik
Initials: JIC

Post by Kretinou »

jase wrote: Is an extra button adapter required for the game?
Cps1 harness ;)
Paulie
Opens wallet, moths fly out
eBay: retro-paulie
Initials: PSG

Post by Paulie »

Daraku Tenshi is ace, I got to play it one time when I was round at Ralphs. It's really fluid and its one of those fighters that feels 'just right'. It's rather beautiful too, very reminiscent to a mix of Garou an Kof. The character design is also superb, full lots of nice little details too like the flies buzzing around circ Torau. It's one of those titles that I'd love to add to my collection but I never really see it come up for sale.

Another overlooked/ lesser know title is Martial Masters on PGM. Deep gameplay with gorgeous visuals, I'd highly recommend checking it out.

Don't know if it would be classed as lesser known but if it is then Waku Waku 7 is my favourite lesser known fighter. It's the follow up to Galaxy Fight which i thought was crap and its really quite different. Very Japanese, characters are really varied and quite unique, it's really bright, fun and sounds great but most importantly it plays like a dream. If you want something different then I doubt you'd be disappointed.
CTN
eBay: ctn2005
Initials: CTN

Post by CTN »

I see Waku Wake 7 and raise with Astra Superstars the even weirder sequel.
Paulie
Opens wallet, moths fly out
eBay: retro-paulie
Initials: PSG

Post by Paulie »

CTN wrote:I see Waku Wake 7 and raise with Astra Superstars the even weirder sequel.
Good call :awe:
I've not played the original arcade game but I'm guessing the Saturn port is pretty faithful.
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

I love the look of Kaiser Knuckle. Worth getting a Taito F3 just for that?