Need Help!!! Sega Astro City Hyperspin!!

For monitor related issues
furl410
Please Continue...
eBay: furl410

Need Help!!! Sega Astro City Hyperspin!!

Post by furl410 »

I'm trying to put Hyperspin in A Sega Astor City Cabinet. At the time I have no video card in at the time. Just brought one. Do I need to have Jamma in my Cab to get hyperspin working? I get this Pic when turning on PC. What am I doing work? I5 processor with 16gb Ram. It is a pic of Video Card I brought. Monitor is giving me split screens and fuzzy pic. Any help will help about now. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grantspain
Tech Head

Re: Need Help!!! Sega Astro City Hyperspin!!

Post by grantspain »

how are you interfacing the pc to the cab-a jpac would be best option and custom res on the video card,maybe use soft 15k
if you are using anything above xp then you will have further problems as it will boot a frequency that the chassis can't handle(although the jpac should protect it)

if you continue at the wrong resolution then you risk blowing the horizontal output transistor

there are members on the forum with a much better knowledge than me on mame so hopefully one will chime in and confirm my statements and maybe offer some different solutions

thats a pretty weak video card btw,probably won't run any later games very well
furl410
Please Continue...

Post by furl410 »

It runs great with no video card. I was looking at people post about video card will help. But I'm just stuck at this part trying to get monitor to show picture.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Power everything off, head to a search engine and read up on putting a PC in a JAMMA cab. Give yourself a clue before you damage something.
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

As I said when you PMd me, Groovymame is what you should look at, pick up a cheap compatible ATI card and go from there.

To be honest, I think you are on a hiding to nothing with that GeForce card. Soft15khz is the fast track to ruining your arcade monitor chassis if you don't know what you are doing.
arcadegame
#cavesunday

Post by arcadegame »

Not sure if he mention this
But he is using a VGA monitor only,out of a
Naomi universal candy cab

Note :he is not using the stock astro city monitor
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

Is it just hyperspin doing this, does the display work In windows?
baddy
Please Continue...
eBay: irishfrog89
Initials: CHI

Post by baddy »

In that case he is clearly not displaying 640*480 and that's the issue.

Boot up the pc with another screen capable of handling at least 800*600 and set up windows to run in 640*480.
furl410
Please Continue...

Post by furl410 »

baddy wrote:In that case he is clearly not displaying 640*480 and that's the issue.

Boot up the pc with another screen capable of handling at least 800*600 and set up windows to run in 640*480.

So would i do this in the windows settings? Do i need to run soft15? Or do i go into windows dispaly settings and set up? Need a little help, thabk you for helping.
furl410
Please Continue...

Post by furl410 »

Here's Pics of it running on TV. Works great Vga & HDMI. I'm just trying to put in a candy cab. It's ready for the cab, Xbox 360 controllers for consoles and arcade sticks for the arcade emulators.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

Is this windows 7?
furl410
Please Continue...

Post by furl410 »

Yes windows 7
Dache

Post by Dache »

It's fairly simple if you're on Windows 7. Right click the desktop, click Screen Resolution.

Check if 640x480 appears in the Resolution dropdown. If not (and it may not), click Advanced Settings just below, on the right.

In the Properties box that comes up, click the "List All Modes" button, look for 640x480, 60Hz, 32-bit colour in the list that pops up, hit OK. Hit Apply in the Properties box. You're now in the correct resolution for a 31k monitor.

Close the other windows and restart the PC to make sure it remains displaying in 640x480. If it does, take it over to the cab and give it a whirl. Hopefully (once it gets into Windows), it'll work fine.

If what I'm reading above is right and you've taken this monitor from a Naomi Uni, it's likely a Sanwa 29E31S, right? [EDIT: actually I've just noticed you're in the US, you might be more likely to have a Nanao] I've always had strange problems with that monitor syncing to a signal.

I have to boot the PC I'm using (an Acer Revo, with an Nvidia Ion GPU) connected to my PC monitor first, and when Windows loads up, connect it to my 29E31S and then turn the cab on. Works perfectly after that. If I don't and just boot the PC already connected to the monitor, the picture is all scrambled and ****. So if you have any problems, try lugging a small LCD next to your cabinet, booting the PC, and then connecting it. Would be interested to see if you have the same issue.
furl410
Please Continue...

Post by furl410 »

Dache wrote:It's fairly simple if you're on Windows 7. Right click the desktop, click Screen Resolution.

Check if 640x480 appears in the Resolution dropdown. If not (and it may not), click Advanced Settings just below, on the right.

In the Properties box that comes up, click the "List All Modes" button, look for 640x480, 60Hz, 32-bit colour in the list that pops up, hit OK. Hit Apply in the Properties box. You're now in the correct resolution for a 31k monitor.

Close the other windows and restart the PC to make sure it remains displaying in 640x480. If it does, take it over to the cab and give it a whirl. Hopefully (once it gets into Windows), it'll work fine.

If what I'm reading above is right and you've taken this monitor from a Naomi Uni, it's likely a Sanwa 29E31S, right? [EDIT: actually I've just noticed you're in the US, you might be more likely to have a Nanao] I've always had strange problems with that monitor syncing to a signal.

I have to boot the PC I'm using (an Acer Revo, with an Nvidia Ion GPU) connected to my PC monitor first, and when Windows loads up, connect it to my 29E31S and then turn the cab on. Works perfectly after that. If I don't and just boot the PC already connected to the monitor, the picture is all scrambled and ****. So if you have any problems, try lugging a small LCD next to your cabinet, booting the PC, and then connecting it. Would be interested to see if you have the same issue.
Going to try these steps when i get home, hopefully it works, Thank you. So i don't need anything else special?
Dache

Post by Dache »

If you want to get it up and get going, no. Stuff like soft15k and CRT Emudriver is fantastic, but I'm lazy and the standard Windows setup appears to work fine aside from the odd setup glitch I mentioned earlier. I believe that's down to the PC and GPU hardware itself more than the monitor though.

Unless someone wants to tell me that the standard Windows 640x480 60Hz output is somehow inherently **** and I'm slowly killing my monitor? :problem:
furl410
Please Continue...

Post by furl410 »

Dache wrote:If you want to get it up and get going, no. Stuff like soft15k and CRT Emudriver is fantastic, but I'm lazy and the standard Windows setup appears to work fine aside from the odd setup glitch I mentioned earlier. I believe that's down to the PC and GPU hardware itself more than the monitor though.

Unless someone wants to tell me that the standard Windows 640x480 60Hz output is somehow inherently **** and I'm slowly killing my monitor? :problem:
That's 1 of the reasons I stopped, didn't want to damage the monitor. I know it has to be a simple way of running hyperspin.