Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No Killing B-Boards!)

PCB problems and fixes
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No Killing B-Boards!)

Post by leonardoliveira »

gojira54 wrote:OK just confirmed it - B board is the issue.
It must be the difference at where the pin 9 of the BGSB3 PAL connects on the QSOUND DSP (samples ROM) bus. As I spoke to darksoft privately.
darksoft
Initials: PFG

Post by darksoft »

leonardoliveira wrote:
gojira54 wrote:OK just confirmed it - B board is the issue.
It must be the difference at where the pin 9 of the BGSB3 PAL connects on the QSOUND DSP (samples ROM) bus. As I spoke to darksoft privately.
Man, don't be ashamed, post how to solve it.
Arcade Project Master at www.arcade-projects.com
mikehaggar
Please Continue...

Post by mikehaggar »

A friend helped me install the multi on an original Mighty! Pang (J) board. It has the crackling sound issue (but everything else seems to work great!).

leonardo and gojira seemed to have figured some stuff out. Is there a proposed fix for this issue yet?
MitsurugiW
Please Continue...
eBay: mitsurugi-w
Initials: JBW

Post by MitsurugiW »

mikehaggar wrote:A friend helped me install the multi on an original Mighty! Pang (J) board. It has the crackling sound issue (but everything else seems to work great!).

leonardo and gojira seemed to have figured some stuff out. Is there a proposed fix for this issue yet?
Not yet but seems like Leo has an idea. Seems like its something with certain b-boards rather than the kit at this point.
gojira54
Please Continue...

Post by gojira54 »

I have no clue how to remedy the issue :wtf:
Would be interesting to see if there is a pattern tho, compiling a list of board revision and PAL type is a start?
I installed one for a friend on a rev 4 board, will ask if he has the audio crackle.
tbh I hadn't even noticed the audio 'problem', it's not really that bad imho...

If anyone in the UK has a programmer to update the firmware they are willing to lend me I would appreciate it...
jassin000
Please Continue...
eBay: jaso-1zhh96
Initials: jsb

Post by jassin000 »

gojira54 wrote: tbh I hadn't even noticed the audio 'problem', it's not really that bad imho...
You know I feel the same way. The cart IS awesome, the audio "problem" is so minor I have to press my ear to the speaker in the attract/demo mode to really hear/notice it. While I'm mid gaming I almost never catch it.

That being said, if we can solve the issue with a jumper wire or two? I can easily add it!
Or worst personal case firmware/bios update, if so I'd just send it out for service.
darksoft
Initials: PFG

Post by darksoft »

darksoft wrote:To everybody,

can you please send me by mail or PM picture and exact model of microSD which is not working for you? I'll try to increase compatibility.
I'm quoting myself here. IF you want me to increase compatibility, please provide so much info as you can about the cards not working for you.

If someone has a Mac microSD not working with the kit and can send me an image dump made with i.e. WinHex that would help a lot.
Arcade Project Master at www.arcade-projects.com
MitsurugiW
Please Continue...
eBay: mitsurugi-w
Initials: JBW

Post by MitsurugiW »

gojira54 wrote:I have no clue how to remedy the issue :wtf:
Would be interesting to see if there is a pattern tho, compiling a list of board revision and PAL type is a start?
I installed one for a friend on a rev 4 board, will ask if he has the audio crackle.
tbh I hadn't even noticed the audio 'problem', it's not really that bad imho...

If anyone in the UK has a programmer to update the firmware they are willing to lend me I would appreciate it...

It is worse for some people. I have heard a few recordings that were really annoying. We will try to remedy it for sure.
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

Try this:

remove BGSB3G (or the PAL that Darksoft provided you with the kit) PAL from socket and lift pin 9.
Solder a wire from pin9 of the PAL to connector CN3 pin C13 (13th pin of C row). It's pretty well marked on the board.
Put PAL back onto it's socket making sure the PIN9 does not touch the pin on the chip socket.

Test.

Edit:
Keep in mind that the four connectors on the edges of the board run through like some sort of bus. So the connector CN3 has all of it's pins connected to CN5 and CN4 to CN6.

CN1 has only the CPU bus, CN2 has mostly sprites bus and some of the CPU signals, CN3 has Z80 program and QSOUND samples and CN4 is how the A and B chips get data from the tiles ROM (background graphics). Hence why you're putting a wire to CN3 (QSOUND samples bus)
Yodd
Please Continue...

Post by Yodd »

leonardoliveira wrote:Try this:

remove BGSB3G (or the PAL that Darksoft provided you with the kit) PAL from socket and lift pin 9.
Solder a wire from pin9 of the PAL to connector CN3 pin C13 (13th pin of C row). It's pretty well marked on the board.
Put PAL back onto it's socket making sure the PIN9 does not touch the pin on the chip socket.

Test.

Edit:
Keep in mind that the four connectors on the edges of the board run through like some sort of bus. So the connector CN3 has all of it's pins connected to CN5 and CN4 to CN6.

CN1 has only the CPU bus, CN2 has mostly sprites bus and some of the CPU signals, CN3 has Z80 program and QSOUND samples and CN4 is how the A and B chips get data from the tiles ROM (background graphics). Hence why you're putting a wire to CN3 (QSOUND samples bus)

Just tried this and I get the exact same clicking in the audio.
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

I don't have the hardware (Darksoft's board) to test. So I can't really investigate what is going on. :roll:

sorry about that. It's just that some of the older CPS2 B boards have the pin9 of the PAL connected to one address line lower and that halves the amount of memory you can have on each rom socket for qsound samples. For playing newer games like MvsC those boards needed a trace cut and a wire installed. That's what this lift pin9 of PAL BGSB3 is about
jassin000
Please Continue...

Post by jassin000 »

If the B-board is affecting/creating the audio problems, can we/do we have a database of all B-board revisions with this problem?

I have the "minor audio crackle/pop" issue on a Revision 7 (originally Marvel vs. Capcom) B-board.
Tested with PAL BGSB3 in socket, retested with pin 9 of PAL BGSB3 lifted+soldered to J17: No change(s) in audio.
RoberMC
Please Continue...
Initials: RMC

Post by RoberMC »

It seems people having the same revision board and the same PAL version (G), some have pops, and some don't.

Anybody having this issue can write here a game and place where this is easily noticieable?, to make testing easier, please, don't say at the end credits of SSF2T Euro :mad:
jassin000
Please Continue...

Post by jassin000 »

Spectre wrote:It's not particularly noticeable in-game, but you can hear it during some intros etc where there isn't as much going on. A good example is the q sound jingle.
Best testing advice ^
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

RoberMC wrote:It seems people having the same revision board and the same PAL version (G), some have pops, and some don't.

Anybody having this issue can write here a game and place where this is easily noticieable?, to make testing easier, please, don't say at the end credits of SSF2T Euro :mad:
Just play the song on the soundtest, no need to beat the game lol.
Yodd
Please Continue...

Post by Yodd »

Or just enable audio for demo mode and just listen while it rolls through the attract mode.

The clicks and pops are pretty constant. Only time they aren't noticeable is when there is heavy action and sound effects going on. That's when they are masked.
RoberMC
Please Continue...
Initials: RMC

Post by RoberMC »

leonardoliveira wrote:
RoberMC wrote:It seems people having the same revision board and the same PAL version (G), some have pops, and some don't.

Just play the song on the soundtest, no need to beat the game lol.
One does not simply... plug a CPS2 game and go straight to the service mode. :lol:

I tested this in my 2 cps2 multi boards, in rev 6 and in Rev 7 B board, always using a Pal-G, no jumpler wire, and i cannot replicate the failure. People having the problem, can you test the sound in mono (through Jamma), and in Stereo (Through external RCA's)?. Also, try entering testmode, go to the soundtest, play a song, and turn the volume all the way down, and then, all the way up. I have experienced in rare cases that swapping B boards using the same A board, caused the A board to go nuts with the settings and audio volume. Resetting factory defaults and doing that thing with the volume made things normal again.
Gamez
Please Continue...

Post by Gamez »

Been waiting ages for my stuff to arrive from Darksoft.
Its never arrived :problem:

Not heard a peep for ages :mad:
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

Gamez wrote:Been waiting ages for my stuff to arrive from Darksoft.
Its never arrived :problem:

Not heard a peep for ages :mad:
Have you contacted darksoft with your order number?
ReplicaX
eBay: xreplica_x
Initials: REP

Post by ReplicaX »

MitsurugiW wrote:It is worse for some people. I have heard a few recordings that were really annoying. We will try to remedy it for sure.
Mine is a Rev4 B Board with an original Capcom G PAL3 and the audio is pretty bad. It is a lifted Pin9 to the JP17 now and it is consistent, not just the intro. Like Yodd said, it basically gets masked in heavier sampling.

I've had no time to toss it on my Oscope at all and will try to get to it during the Holiday weekend. As well as update my firmware and add my reset line.
Q GrandAm 25 | MKII | NNC | Vewlix L AMI | Medieval Madness RE
Arcade Tech since 1994