Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No Killing B-Boards!)

PCB problems and fixes
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Re: Darksoft's CPS2 Multikit Tech Support Thread (No Killing B-Boards!)

Post by idc »

emphatic wrote:
idc wrote:
emphatic wrote:Thanks, idc, you are great!
These ones are all Leo's work, denoted by the last character of the file name, so he deserves all the thanks. :)
Thanks Leo, you are even greater than idc. :fastlove:
I agree entirely. :fastlove:
ImageImageImageImage
LemonyVengeance
eBay: Stanley_ipkiss22
Initials: LMN

Post by LemonyVengeance »

Got the LCD installed in the B-board shell last night.

I do have a question though.. How can I get the duct tape crud off this thing? I've tried goo gone and it didn't phase it. I have a rattle can of goof off, but that stuff eats plastic...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rizzeld
Please Continue...

Post by rizzeld »

so i took the whole kit apart again, and put it back together, again, everything is snug fitting well, I reformatted my sd card, downloaded the roms again, turned it on, and still get the same result, thought it was the b board so i put the msh v sf eproms back in, and it goes fine, I've tried multiple motherboards, same result, could it be that i'm running grey asia boards ? if not then i'm all out of ideas on this, I had a video on my phone I was trying to upload to show you, but it was corrupt, I'll try again after work with a new vid, but yea i'm drawing a blank, I've tried the bridge connector around the opposite way, that just produces a flat color screen,
aoiddr
Please Continue...

Post by aoiddr »

LemonyVengeance wrote:Got the LCD installed in the B-board shell last night.

I do have a question though.. How can I get the duct tape crud off this thing? I've tried goo gone and it didn't phase it. I have a rattle can of goof off, but that stuff eats plastic...
I'd try using 91% isopropyl alcohol and a rag and/or dull scraper (to not scratch the plastic) to see if that helps get up some of it. You can also try using another piece of duct tape and see if that picks up any chunks when you dab the sticky side quickly over and over on the gunk. It's a slow process, but should get the job done.
undamned
Please Continue...
eBay: undamned
Initials: UND

Post by undamned »

Yeah, once that duct tape turns into hard plasticy stuff, it's a nightmare. I successfully cleaned an XvSF case like that with 8 zillion scrubbing sessions of alcohol, but it required so much scrubbing that the matte finish of the plastic became shiny in places.

tl;dr - Good Luck! :D
-ud
"Sin and death's got the whole world gettin' illa, but I praise God for the Blood Spilla."
rizzeld
Please Continue...

Post by rizzeld »

simple green or purple power should do it, i use both of them to strip paint off plastics and it does the job, and they're pretty cheap as well
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

Also apply heat. The bonds of most adhesives will weaken if you heat them up, making removal easier. Take the lid off and blast it with a hairdrier before/during application of whatever product.

I've had success with Evo Stick Adhesive Cleaner in the past. Not sure if this is a worldwide product;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001P03M4
GriswaldoBS
Please Continue...

Post by GriswaldoBS »

rizzeld wrote:so i took the whole kit apart again, and put it back together, again, everything is snug fitting well, I reformatted my sd card, downloaded the roms again, turned it on, and still get the same result, thought it was the b board so i put the msh v sf eproms back in, and it goes fine, I've tried multiple motherboards, same result, could it be that i'm running grey asia boards ? if not then i'm all out of ideas on this, I had a video on my phone I was trying to upload to show you, but it was corrupt, I'll try again after work with a new vid, but yea i'm drawing a blank, I've tried the bridge connector around the opposite way, that just produces a flat color screen,
Double check the jumpers with a multimeter. Two of the jumpers on my board were connected with a trace (it's very small between the two solder points). I had to cut the trace with an exact-o knife. Verify all the jumpers are correct. Only other thing I can say is play with that stupid bridge adapter PCB, it's the culprit of most problems. Don't install it in the opposite direction. Just remove the B board from the plastic housing, hold the B board from underneath while you push the darksoft pcbs down from the top (Verify all pins are aligned first so you dont bend them!!!) and just make sure everywhere is firm. That's what fixed mine.

A flat color screen means the CPS-2 game is not booting (AKA the program roms are not loading) which is where that bridge adapter probably comes into play.
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

WD-40.
ImageImageImageImage
LemonyVengeance

Thanks for the suggestions, mates. The stuff is no longer sticky.. Its a crusty, rock solid mess. Someone also suggests lighter fluid.
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

Be careful with what you scrub the plastic with. Some of these attack the plastic surface, making milk-white stains. :roll:
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

If it's dried on I would go with the heating up method and hit it with a solvent cleaner whilst it's warm.

I use Loctite 7063 which dissolves/softens glues whilst still being safe on plastics. I've used it on marquee holders, consoles, phone screens and even TVs with no damage or residue.
darksoft
Initials: PFG

Post by darksoft »

leonardoliveira wrote:Be careful with what you scrub the plastic with. Some of these attack the plastic surface, making milk-white stains. :roll:
Look who's here Mr. Leo himself.
Arcade Project Master at www.arcade-projects.com
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

darksoft wrote:
leonardoliveira wrote:Be careful with what you scrub the plastic with. Some of these attack the plastic surface, making milk-white stains. :roll:
Look who's here Mr. Leo himself.
I didn't go anywhere, sir. :awe:
monouchi
Polishing his shaft
eBay: monouchi_jn
Initials: BUS

Post by monouchi »

Got my upgraded pcb back from Pablo and the reinforcement board. Put everything together, so this is my setup now.
Have downloaded all files and prepped the card, will test tomorrow.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
KalessinDB
Please Continue...
Initials: DLB

Post by KalessinDB »

monouchi, how would you feel about a few close ups of where you have the LCD mounted? Because that's basically exactly what I want to do with mine.
MitsurugiW
Please Continue...
eBay: mitsurugi-w
Initials: JBW

Post by MitsurugiW »

monouchi wrote:Got my upgraded pcb back from Pablo and the reinforcement board. Put everything together, so this is my setup now.
Have downloaded all files and prepped the card, will test tomorrow.

That looks really good!
mrjamma
Please Continue...

Post by mrjamma »

Hey guys

Pic of the auto reset wire in place - tested and working.

Ignore the black electrical tape - I just used that to keep the wire in place whilst gently soldering it to the PCB.

LemonyVengeance

KalessinDB wrote:monouchi, how would you feel about a few close ups of where you have the LCD mounted? Because that's basically exactly what I want to do with mine.
Agreed
I think I'm going to need a new shell on mine. This duct tape crud suuuuuuuuiicks.
rizzeld
Please Continue...

Post by rizzeld »

so I figure ill give another b board a go, i will have to sacrifice a
dead board
but thats ok

also, has anyone thought of desgining and 3d printing a small attachment that sits in where the coin counter would usually go, so the lcd can be hooked up and kept there ?

also the board is a revision 6 with an f pal, will I be able to simply swap out my current gpal and just plug it in an have it good to go ?